Locomobile model 48 and 38 engine related topics

Ittenbacher Frank

Good news from my side of the pond.  I have spoken with the same fellow that went through the 1909 4 cylinder model L Locomobile engine and he made it run like a well oiled Swiss watch.  I should have the engine mounted on my old factory built engine stand in two or three weeks.  I will then be taking it to the shop to have it evaluated, repaired as needed and detailed.  We also have a very good clutch shop lined up to rebuild the clutch.  I actually am thinking a clutch failure is why the Demarest Limousine was taken off the road years ago and not an engine failure.  This Locomobile came with the engine fully assembled and is not stuck.  It also came with two clutch assemblies, which fact lead my thinking to a clutch failure.  Hopefully, we will soon know for sure.  The plan is to clean internals verify condition and detail it as ready to install back in the Limousine.  I am negotiating with a body shop to repair some aluminum panels to include, hood side panels, splash aprons and one door.  Each of the fenders will need some repair but that is very doable, then I should be ready for some initial assembly. If anyone reading this engine related chat and has any mechanical hints, you have learned along the way, please share your thoughts.  While this mechanical work is going on, I am also getting after lights and other detail items. I possibly could be ready for a trial start in a year or so.

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I can report: The pipes before and after the new muffler are done for my 1917 tourer, and I also added a sensor for the air-fuel-ration. Today I installed everything and did a test-drive. Finally I am in the position to fine-tune the carburetor without gessing but with data to compare.

You may recall: I manufactured the new muffler exactly like the sample from my original 1921 Sedan, with only one exception: I added the cut-out-flap at the muffler entrance, according to the technical drawings shown in the 1917 spare parts book. I tried the fitment of the new muffler on the Sedan first, in order to confirm the mounting brackets and flange positions. It worked well.

Last week I cut the ugle non-original exhaust system away from my tourer. One of the previous owners had welded a modern muffler in, he also cut the 70mm pipe from the manifold to the muffler into pieces, for the installation of an exhaust bypass valve. I assume he wanted to operate a whizzle? But it looks like this project was never finished. The installation of the Bowden cable was so lousy it could never have worked. I also didn't find any trace of a whizzle or pipes and hoses for connecting one. Now all that went into the rubbish bin.

altes bypassrohr.JPG

altes bypassrohr aufgetrennt.jpg

altes bypassrohr innen.JPG

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Preparing the tail pipe to the rear of the car was easy, because I had previously already machined a short pipe with exactly the diameter necessary for the clamp at the end of the muffler. When finished, I could assemble it easily with a bit of copper-grease.

The last step was adding a threaded connector for the sensor (they call it bung, outside 1", inside M18x1.5) in one of the new parts of the pipe, just befor the gas enteres into the muffler. The senor manual says: at least 24 inches behind the cylinder head. The Loco is long enough to exceed this value easily!

Then I painted everything with high-temperature paint.

fertig zum lackieren.JPG

fertig zum lackieren trittbrett.JPG

lackiert.JPG

sensor eingebaut.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, alsfarms said:

Hello Frank,

What is your preferred weld method for joining light guage sheet metal tubing? MIG, TIG or Gas Welding? You should be happy that you are improving both of your Locomobiles while keeping the very authentic in design.

Al

Al, simply shielded gas welding MIG, nothing special. That old metal used by Locomobile is very easy to weld, I guess because it is pure, not made with any scrap content?

One more hint: I know that exhaust systems expand quite much due to heat. Several mm along the length of the car. Mr. Riker made no provision for compensating that. Flexible element like today were also not used, perhaps they thought it was not necessary if the engine is bolted rigidly to the chassis? Anyhow, I intensionally made the pipe in a way that it is 3mm too short. When I tightened the two bolts on the flange, the gap closed easily because the two chassis brackets act like springs. I assume when the car has reached operating temperature, there will be no tension any more.

spalt an dichtung.JPG

• Like 1

Here is the sensor which I bought. A friend recommended it because it has a wide range (good for the use on old engines if they run very rich) and it reacts very fast. I need this because I want to do road tests, and for example observe the function of the accelerator pump.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

One more hint: The measuring equipment needs 12V and minus at the chassis. The Loco has 6V and + is on the chassis. Not good, but I found an easy way to overcome this: I bought a small voltage converter, connected the two input cables vice-versa (red=+ to ground, black=minus to the Loco ignition), and the 12V-out as it is required for the sensor (yellow=plus and black =minus).

Then I made a temporary bracket for the display, attached to the steering column.

51N-06JDhyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

517IcZhGgbL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

messgerät htr.JPG

• Like 2

Today the first road test was successful: The lambda-values shown on the display confirmed what I expected: The Loco runs ok with values slightly on the rich side (10-12), and it is to lean (above 15) when it pops and coughs. Now I must find reason why it sometimes becomes too rich and sometimes too lean, and the ways to make the carburetor work properly in all situations!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

This is extremely good information!  Thanks for posting.  Suggest how you go about proceeding from this instrument to adjusting your Locmobile carburetor to correct for a lean or rich condition.

Al

There are several ways for adjustment. The two which are explained in the manual are: 1. air valve screw (thumb screw), 2. needle valve (the one with the dial). I tried them already, both work (the engine reacts on very small changes already). These settings influence each other.

There are many more influencing factors: fuel level (height), nozzle sizes (low speed, high speed), venturi sizes, and over everything there is the accelerating pump function. I will see and report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Today the first road test was successful: The lambda-values shown on the display confirmed what I expected: The Loco runs ok with values slightly on the rich side (10-12), and it is to lean (above 15) when it pops and coughs. Now I must find reason why it sometimes becomes too rich and sometimes too lean, and the ways to make the carburetor work properly in all situations!

The reason is it’s a Locomobile carburetor. Notoriously difficult instrument. Many ended up on shelves or in the scrap bin. Rayfield carburetors made a counter intuitive setup but they ran better than a factory setup. Just like Bosch won the magneto battle Zenith won the carburetor war. I am sure you will suss out some improvements but for it to perform in all ranges will involve serious tinkering as the British say.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George K said:

The reason is it’s a Locomobile carburetor. Notoriously difficult instrument. Many ended up on shelves or in the scrap bin. Rayfield carburetors made a counter intuitive setup but they ran better than a factory setup. Just like Bosch won the magneto battle Zenith won the carburetor war. I am sure you will suss out some improvements but for it to perform in all ranges will involve serious tinkering as the British say.

Dear George, can you please explain your meaning of "Rayfield carburetors made a counter intuitive setup"? Thanks to enlighten us.

9 hours ago, George K said:

George, I have studied the details of all Locos I could find, some in reality, mostly online (auction details etc.): From app. 65 different 1915-1925 models 38 and 48, I was able to see the carburetor side of the engine on 39 cars. 38 cars have a Locomobile carburetor, only one is converted to a Zenith (see below, a 1917 model 38). I don't belive they were all bad when the cars were new, but you are absolutely right, they are more difficult than others.

inzerce_zoom_328010.jpg

inzerce_zoom_328011.jpg

• Like 1

Good Morning Frank.  You are posing an interesting aspect of running-driving-tuning of the Locomobile Carburetor.  I certainly believe that in the teens and 20's carburetor development was still well in its infancy.  I also have a complex original Locomobile carburetor on my 1909 Locomobile Model L.  It is now running on a Carter BB1.  However when I can dedicate some time strictly to sorting out the Locomobile carburetor, I plan to do so.  Sure I understand, the BB1 is a much newer carburetor with significant improvements over any carburetor developed in 1909 so I should expect a better running and tunable carburetor.  In the case above, is the Zenith carburetor a contemporary of the original Locomobile carburetor or is it a more modern model?  It would be nice to know the story behind the Model 38 running a Zenith.  There may be an interesting story....... 

Al

On 10/17/2022 at 3:09 AM, Ittenbacher Frank said:

George, I have studied the details of all Locos I could find, some in reality, mostly online (auction details etc.): From app. 65 different 1915-1925 models 38 and 48, I was able to see the carburetor side of the engine on 39 cars. 38 cars have a Locomobile carburetor, only one is converted to a Zenith (see below, a 1917 model 38). I don't belive they were all bad when the cars were new, but you are absolutely right, they are more difficult than others.

inzerce_zoom_328010.jpg

inzerce_zoom_328011.jpg

There is at least one more Locomobile running a Zenith carburetor.6ABCB8E6-F117-42D2-BF55-397769B8C775.jpeg.3996372529c7a56eac117bf9c5124dda.jpeg

• Like 1

Checking the Zenith aftermarket catalog from 1921, found the following:

1910 P/A model 36 Zenith type L5

1911-12 P/A model 36 Zenith type L6S

1915-1920 P/A model 48 Zenith type L7

These were sold with P/A calibrations by Zenith.

There is no entry for a P/A model 38 in this catalog.

Checking the Rayfield aftermarket catalog from 1917, found many P/A applications, two of which are:

1913-1917 P/A model 38 Rayfield type G-4

1913-1917 P/A model 48 Rayfield type G-5

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Hello John, Thanks for this information. The Model 36, 38 and 48 Pierce-Arrow have very similar specifications to Locomobile 38 and 48.  Does your early Zenith have any direct reference to Model L, I, (4 cylinder) R, M or also 38 or 48 Locomobile (6 cylinder)?  Your contributions are very meaningful to this ongoing Locomobile chat.

Al

This would have been MUCH easier if this forum would accept PDF files!

These are ALL of the index entries for Pierce Arrow by Rayfield, Stromberg, and Zenith; listed as year, P/A model, carburetor type

Rayfield:

1906~1909 models 28-32 type G-3

1907~1909 models 40-45 type G-4

1909 model 6-66 type G-5

1910 model 36 type G-3

1910 model 66 type G-6

1911~1912 models 36, 36T type G-3

1911~1912 model 6-48 type G-5

1912~1917 model 6-66 type G-6

1913~1917 model 5-ton type G-3

1913~1915 model 2-ton type G-2

1913~1918 model 6-38 type G-4

1913~1918 model 6-48 type G-5

Stromberg:

1911~1912 model 6-48 type O-3

1912~1916 model 5-ton type M-2

1913~1915 model 66A type M-5

1913~1914 model 48 type O-3

1913~1914 model 48 type O-3

1915 model 38 type O-3

1915~1920 model 48 type O-3

Zenith:

1910 model 36 type L-5

1911~1912 model 36, 36T type L-6S

1915~1920 model 6-48 type L-7

1917 model 5-ton type L-6S

1919 model X4 type L7

Each of the index listings is for a DIFFERENT CALIBRATION even though some of the carburetor types are the same.

I have not had the opportunity to play with a genuine Locomobile carburetor, so do not know anything about them.

Of the three brands mentioned above, both Zenith and Stromberg are, in my opinion, excellent for their day. As to the Rayfield, I would rather have a Marvel ;) for those who have read other of my posts.

EDIT: IT MUST BE FRIDAY! I LOOKED UP P/A INSTEAD OF LOCOMOBILE. Will look further. Sorry

Jon

OK, same comment on the acceptance of PDF files.

The following are ALL of the index entries for LOCOMOBILE from Rayfield, Stromberg and Zenith.

Rayfield:

1912 model 48 type G4P

1912~1913 model L type G4P

1913 model M3 type G5P

1913 model R-3-4 type G4P

1914~1917 model H-R-6-38 type G5P

1917~1919 model 6-48 type G5P

Stromberg:

1912~1914 model R type O-3 with 1 3/16 venturi

1915~1917 model R-4-38 type O-3 with 1 1/8 venturi

1915~1921 model 6-48 type O-3 with 1 1/4 venturi

Zenith:

1911 model 6-48 type L-5C

1912 model 6-48 type U-6

Maybe the P/A folks can benefit from my in-attention in my last post.

Jon.

• Like 1

Today I can report a first progress: The sensor in the exhaust pipe works well and will definitely help me in finding the proper carburetor adjustment. The air-fuel-ratio-values shown on the display are reasonable:

- theoretically best value = 14,7: The Loco engine runs smoothly, feels ok.

- best power shall be at 12-13: The engine runs well, lively, feels ok.

- theoretically too rich: when I see values between 9 and 11, I can still feel no difference, engine runs smoothly (!)

- too lean: as soon as the values exceed 15...16...17, the engine will pop, or even cough.

- values above 20: more misses than running, terrible, no use.

When the engine idles and you turn the air valve thumb nut in and out, you feel and hear a diffence after you have adjusted half a turn in or half a turn out (360° = 8 klicks). On the sensor display you see the air-fuel ratio changing after 1 or 2 klicks already!

I can also see the values changing when going steep uphill (leaner) or steep downhill (richer), but not as much as I expected. I think that has a lot to do with the setting of the fuel level height in the float chamber.

Today I can say: The Locomobile engine can cope with far too rich air-fuel-ratios, which you cannot easily detect while driving. When adjusting something, the sensor shows changes much earlier than you can detect by listening.

air_fuel_ratio_chart.jpg

air_fuel_ratio_changes.jpg

9-6 IMG_6514_Moment1.jpg

11-5 IMG_6510 an BAB vorbei_Trim 2_Moment2.jpg

14-7 IMG_6512 kurz vor kreisel_Moment2.jpg

16-8 IMG_6519_Moment3.jpg

19-8 IMG_6513_Moment1.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, carbking said:

I have not had the opportunity to play with a genuine Locomobile carburetor, so do not know anything about them.

Dear Jon,

I remember you saying over the phone: In all these years working on carburetors, you never came across one of these Ball&Ball-Locomobile series two carburetors, the two-stage design with accelerator pump. But you helped me in estimating that the fuel level in the float chamber shell be adjusted to a height app. 1/8" below the top of the main discharge nozzle, perhaps I can also try 3/16". That helped a lot, thanks again!

Loco series two carburetor page 2.jpg

As a beginning on Carburetor adjustment issues, I like to show the air valve with it's thumb nut. It is readily accessible and can be adjusted when the engine idles (I also tried that during driving on the road, my daughter sitting on the running board, but this was not a good idea because 1. at that time the ignition still had big problems which overruled all other attemps for improvement, and 2. that attracted other drivers too much...).

Look at the photos: The one with the bigger holes is for Locomobile model 48 (stamped "M"), the other ("R", still dirty) for the smaller model 38.

I mentioned already: one click (1/8 of a turn) is changing the air-fuel-ratio significantly.

In the 1916 Locomobile road test reports I found they changed the spring in this valve (different spring rate).

R und M nebeneinander 2.JPG

R und M nebeneinander.JPG

R und M R auseinander 2.JPG

R und M R auseinander 3.JPG

M installed.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Today I can report a first progress: The sensor in the exhaust pipe works well and will definitely help me in finding the proper carburetor adjustment. The air-fuel-ratio-values shown on the display are reasonable:

- theoretically best value = 14,7: The Loco engine runs smoothly, feels ok.

- best power shall be at 12-13: The engine runs well, lively, feels ok.

- theoretically too rich: when I see values between 9 and 11, I can still feel no difference, engine runs smoothly (!)

- too lean: as soon as the values exceed 15...16...17, the engine will pop, or even cough.

- values above 20: more misses than running, terrible, no use.

When the engine idles and you turn the air valve thumb nut in and out, you feel and hear a diffence after you have adjusted half a turn in or half a turn out (360° = 8 klicks). On the sensor display you see the air-fuel ratio changing after 1 or 2 klicks already!

I can also see the values changing when going steep uphill (leaner) or steep downhill (richer), but not as much as I expected. I think that has a lot to do with the setting of the fuel level height in the float chamber.

Today I can say: The Loco engine can cope with far too rich air-fuel-ratios, which you cannot easily detect while driving. When adjusting something, the sensor shows changes much earlier than you can detect by listening.

air_fuel_ratio_chart.jpg

air_fuel_ratio_changes.jpg

9-6 IMG_6514_Moment1.jpg

11-5 IMG_6510 an BAB vorbei_Trim 2_Moment2.jpg

14-7 IMG_6512 kurz vor kreisel_Moment2.jpg

16-8 IMG_6519_Moment3.jpg

19-8 IMG_6513_Moment1.jpg

I always err on the pudgy side. No harm and forget mileage. Learned a long time ago to give it a click to the fat side. Great modern instrument to verify what we learned by trial and error.

On 10/22/2022 at 2:43 PM, George K said:

I always err on the pudgy side. No harm and forget mileage. Learned a long time ago to give it a click to the fat side. Great modern instrument to verify what we learned by trial and error.

Exactly this I did all my life: the factory recommendations as a starting point (if available...), then fine-tuning by try and error, when it feels ok I try the engine on various road and wether conditions, after some time examining the spark plugs, and definitely never go too lean!

But when working on the Loco I came to my limits: too many parameters to play with, and the "feeling" told me: without touching anything in between, it ran too rich and a few minutes later too lean and popped.

One more thought: The Loco is a pleasure car, and not made for being the cheapest way of transportation. But...5-6 mpg is not acceptable, especially not if we talk about normal driving over normal country roads, without extended periods of idle (e.g. heavy traffic) or speeding with much use of the carburetor's second stage. An improvement of only 1 mpg saves already the amount of fuel which a "normal" car needs for driving the same distance!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 4:02 AM, George K said:

Just a few follow up pictures regarding carburetors. Last photo shows a 48 that ran a Rayfield.6F427A14-431B-4C26-B599-E89CED507099.jpeg.f70ee2f07b48c0e0724930fbba62ecc0.jpeg4DA3BA83-8047-4C87-801D-4E1A3E20CD9E.jpeg.b8cff90c46d9b9e8329d8b468534edb9.jpegF8F47A6F-A9F5-4C59-A859-93B6858BBB17.jpeg.b0995469cbea1ba32172f15e2acd475e.jpegE9A435F2-B8CA-4524-9876-87FBAEED3724.jpeg.6b408cb2e2ed7e6ffdad519ce2587fc4.jpegDC3DD138-1C6B-43DF-BC3A-4F4EF7D1C8AB.jpeg.c1f2e0120e540d6a5e2873caf7c16918.jpeg

Thanks, George. I saw that chassis before, it belongs to the Loco limousine which Bob's friend has. Did you notice? There is one more intresting modification: The inlet manifold got two additional ports. The gas flow is divided twice: 1-in-2-in-6 instead of the original 1-in-6. I assume they wanted to archieve a more even distribution? I can say: whenever I looked at the Loco spark plugs, all 12 had the same colour and lightness, except some occasions when something was wrong, but then the difference was not between the center cylinder and the front or rear.

I think above manifold could initially have been made for the use of two carburetors, then later changed back to one again?

Frank, I noticed the split manifold and it hit me as something I have seen before. Don’t remember where. One thought is perhaps one of the mythical Durant 48’s. Just a thought. I am all good with your addendum. No matter how good of tuning you’re still pushing six thousand pounds. Best, George.

36 minutes ago, rydersclassics said:

I decided to chime in on the split manifold topic, in case this information adds anything.

The engine number is 12681, 1917 model year.     

Hello that engine # suggests it being more like known 1920 engines in cars sold at auction. Thanks for posting its #. 

LIST OF CARS
Manufactured by
THE LOCOMOBILE COMPANY OF AMERICA

SHOWING CAR NUMBER, YEAR, MODEL AND
LOCATION OF THE STEERING WHEEL
n.jpg

Reproduced from original factory records by
The Locomobile Society of America
3165 California Street, San Francisco, California 94115
Car No.
Year
Model
Right Or
Left
1-11
 D 
 Right 
12-13
 C 
 Right 
14-36
 D 
 Right 
37-46
 C 
 Right 
47-60
 D 
 Right 
61-75
 C 
 Right 
76-77
 D 
 Right 
78-223
 D 
 Right 
224 Never Built
225-227
 D 
 Right 
 C 
 Right 
229 Never Built
230-277
 C 
 Right 
 E 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
280-340
 D 
 Right 
341-379
 E 
 Right 
380-579
 E 
 Right 
580-679
 H 
 Right 
680-704
 F 
 Right 
705-706
 H 
 Right 
707 Racer
708-918
 E 
 Right 
919-1118
 H 
 Right 
1119-1418
 E 
 Right 
1419-1437
 H 
 Right 
1438 No Comment
1439-1458
 H 
 Right 
1459 No Comment
1460-1620
 H 
 Right 
1621-1870
 E 
 Right 
1871-1874
 I 
 Right 
x1875
 I 
 Right 
1876-1879
 I 
 Right 
x1880
 I 
 Right 
1881-1896
 I 
 Right 
x1897
 I 
 Right 
1898-1919
 I 
 Right 
x1920
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x1922
 I 
 Right 
1923-1942
 I 
 Right 
x1943
 I 
 Right 
1944-1951
 I 
 Right 
x1952
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x1954
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x1956
 I 
 Right 
1957-1968
 I 
 Right 
x1969
 L 
 Right 
1970-2019
 I 
 Right 
x2020
 I 
 Right 
2021-2037
 I 
 Right 
x2038
 I 
 Right 
2039-2040
 I 
 Right 
x2041
 I 
 Right 
2042-2047
 I 
 Right 
x2048-2049
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2051
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2053-2054
 I 
 Right 
2055-2058
 I 
 Right 
x2059
 I 
 Right 
2060-2064
 I 
 Right 
x2065-2066
 I 
 Right 
2067-2068
 I 
 Right 
x2069-2071
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2073-2075
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2077
 I 
 Right 
2078-2080
 I 
 Right 
x2081
 I 
 Right 
2082-2085
 I 
 Right 
x2086-2087
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2089-2092
 I 
 Right 
2093-2094
 I 
 Right 
x2095-2096
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2098-2105
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2107-2108
 L 
 Right 
2109-2110
 I 
 Right 
x2111
 I 
 Right 
2112-2117
 I 
 Right 
x2118
 I 
 Right 
2119-2135
 I 
 Right 
x2136
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2138
 L 
 Right 
2139-2145
 I 
 Right 
x2146
 I 
 Right 
 I 
 Right 
x2148
 I 
 Right 
2149-2156
 I 
 Right 
x2157-2158
 I 
 Right 
2159-2170
 I 
 Right 
1908 cars marked x carried over to 1909
2171-2270
 I-2 
 Right 
2271-2307
 L 
 Right 
2308-2312
 E-4 
 Right 
2313-2565
 L 
 Right 
x2566-2612
 L 
 Right 
2613-2779
 L 
 Right 
x2780-2812
 L 
 Right 
2813-2912
 L-2 
 Right 
1909 Cars marked x carried over to 1910
2913-3078
 L-2 
 Right 
x3079
 L-2 
 Right 
3080-3112
 L-2 
 Right 
x3113
 L-2 
 Right 
3114-3143
 L-2 
 Right 
x3144
 L-2 
 Right 
3145-3189
 L-2 
 Right 
x3190
 L-2 
 Right 
3191-3205
 L-2 
 Right 
x3206
 L-2 
 Right 
3207-3224
 L-2 
 Right 
x3225
 L-2 
 Right 
3226-3276
 L-2 
 Right 
x3277
 L-2 
 Right 
3278-3281
 L-2 
 Right 
x3282-3283
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3285
 L-2 
 Right 
3286-3287
 L-2 
 Right 
x3288
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3290-3291
 L-2 
 Right 
3292-3296
 L-2 
 Right 
x3297
 L-2 
 Right 
3298-3301
 L-2 
 Right 
x3302
 L-2 
 Right 
3303-3304
 L-2 
 Right 
x3305-3309
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3311
 L-2 
 Right 
Car No.
Year
Model
Right Or
Left
 L-2 
 Right 
x3313
 L-2 
 Right 
3314-3317
 L-2 
 Right 
x3318-3320
 L-2 
 Right 
3321-3325
 L-2 
 Right 
x3326
 L-2 
 Right 
3327-3329
 L-2 
 Right 
x3330-3334
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3336
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3338-3341
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3343
 L-2 
 Right 
3344-3345
 L-2 
 Right 
x3346-3352
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3354
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3356-3360
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3362
 L-2 
 Right 
3363-3458
 L-2 
 Right 
x3459
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3461
 L-2 
 Right 
3462-3492
 L-2 
 Right 
x3493-3494
 L-2 
 Right 
3495-3496
 L-2 
 Right 
x3497
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3499
 L-2 
 Right 
3500-3542
 L-2 
 Right 
x3543
 L-2 
 Right 
3544-3658
 L-2 
 Right 
x3659
 L-2 
 Right 
3660-3712
 L-2 
 Right 
3713-3912
 I 
 Right 
3913-3945
 L-2 
 Right 
x3946
 L-2 
 Right 
3947-3954
 L-2 
 Right 
x3955
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3957-3958
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x3960-3966
 L-2 
 Right 
3967-3971
 L-2 
 Right 
x3972-4032
 L-2 
 Right 
 L-2 
 Right 
x4034-4100
 L-2 
 Right 
4101-4108
 L-2 
 Right 
x4109
 L-2 
 Right 
4110-4112 Not Listed
1910 Cars marked x carried over to 1911
4113-4120
 L-3 
 Right 
x4121-4123
 L-3 
 Right 
4124-4131
 L-3 
 Right 
x4132
 L-3 
 Right 
4133-4136
 L-3 
 Right 
x4137
 L-3 
 Right 
4138-4141
 L-3 
 Right 
x4142
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4144-4145
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4147-4148
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4150
 L-3 
 Right 
4151-4155
 L-3 
 Right 
x4156-4157
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4159
 L-3 
 Right 
4160-4161
 L-3 
 Right 
x4162
 L-3 
 Right 
4163-4164
 L-3 
 Right 
x4165
 L-3 
 Right 
4166-4167
 L-3 
 Right 
x4168
 L-3 
 Right 
4169-4171
 L-3 
 Right 
x4172
 L-3 
 Right 
4173-4175
 L-3 
 Right 
x4176-4177
 L-3 
 Right 
4178-4180
 L-3 
 Right 
x4181-4182
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4184-4186
 L-3 
 Right 
4187-4191
 L-3 
 Right 
x4192
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4194
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4196
 L-3 
 Right 
4197-4200
 L-3 
 Right 
x4201
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4203
 L-3 
 Right 
4204-4205
 L-3 
 Right 
x4206-4209
 L-3 
 Right 
4210-4216
 L-3 
 Right 
x4217
 L-3 
 Right 
4218-4230
 L-3 
 Right 
x4231-4232
 L-3 
 Right 
4233-4238
 L-3 
 Right 
x4239-4240
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4242
 L-3 
 Right 
4243-4247
 L-3 
 Right 
x4248
 L-3 
 Right 
4249-4251
 L-3 
 Right 
x4252-4253
 L-3 
 Right 
4254-4255
 L-3 
 Right 
x4256
 L-3 
 Right 
4257-4280
 L-3 
 Right 
x4281
 L-3 
 Right 
4282-4283
 L-3 
 Right 
x4284
 L-3 
 Right 
4285-4290
 L-3 
 Right 
x4291
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4293
 L-3 
 Right 
4294-4295
 L-3 
 Right 
x4296
 L-3 
 Right 
4297-4298
 L-3 
 Right 
x4299-4300
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4302
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4304
 L-3 
 Right 
4305-4308
 L-3 
 Right 
x4309-4311
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4313-4320
 L-3 
 Right 
4321-4324
 L-3 
 Right 
x4325
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4327
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4329-4390
 L-3 
 Right 
4391-4398
 L-3 
 Right 
x4399
 L-3 
 Right 
4400-4403
 L-3 
 Right 
Car No.
Year
Model
Right Or
Left
x4404
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4406
 L-3 
 Right 
4407-4417
 L-3 
 Right 
x4418
 L-3 
 Right 
4419-4424
 L-3 
 Right 
x4425
 L-3 
 Right 
4426-4433
 L-3 
 Right 
x4434
 L-3 
 Right 
4435-4447
 L-3 
 Right 
x4448-4449
 L-3 
 Right 
4450-4474
 L-3 
 Right 
x4475
 L-3 
 Right 
4476-4495
 L-3 
 Right 
x4496
 L-3 
 Right 
4497-4498
 L-3 
 Right 
x4499
 L-3 
 Right 
4500-4505
 L-3 
 Right 
x4506
 L-3 
 Right 
4507-4513
 L-3 
 Right 
x4514-4515
 L-3 
 Right 
4516-4517
 L-3 
 Right 
x4518-4521
 L-3 
 Right 
4522-4524
 L-3 
 Right 
x4525
 L-3 
 Right 
4526-4528
 L-3 
 Right 
x4529
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4531
 L-3 
 Right 
4532-4533
 L-3 
 Right 
x4534
 L-3 
 Right 
4535-4536
 L-3 
 Right 
x4537
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4539-4541
 L-3 
 Right 
4542-4545
 L-3 
 Right 
x4546-4551
 L-3 
 Right 
4552-4573
 L-3 
 Right 
x4574-4579
 L-3 
 Right 
 L-3 
 Right 
x4581-4612
 L-3 
 Right 
4613-4614
 K 
 Right 
4615-4616
 O 
 Right 
4617-4920
 M 
 Right 
4921-4925
 I 
 Right 
1911 Cars marked x also 1910 Cars No.
3461, 3972, 4008 and 4064 carried over to 1912.
4926-4930
 I 
 Right 
4931-5433
 M-2 
 Right 
5434-5511
 L-4 
 Right 
x5512-5553
 L-4 
 Right 
5554-5603
 L-4 
 Right 
x5604-5633
 L-4 
 Right 
5634-5677
 L-4 
 Right 
x5678
 L-4 
 Right 
5679-5683
 L-4 
 Right 
5684-5685
 R 
 Right 
1912 Cars marked x carried over to 1913.
 M 
 Right 
 L 
 Right 
5688 No Comment
 M 
 Right 
5690-5939
 R-2 
 Right 
5940-6039
 M-3 
 Right 
6040-6339
 R-2 
 Right 
6340-6639
 M-3 
 Right 
6640-6805
 R-2 
 Right 
x6806-6813
 R-2 
 Right 
 R-2 
 Right 
x6815-6888
 R-2 
 Right 
6889-6942
 R-2 
 Right 
x6943-6958
 R-2 
 Right 
6959-7039
 R-2 
 Right 
Note: The following cars are Left Drive: 5930,
5939, 6922 and 6934.
7040-7095
 M-3 
 Right 
x7096-7152
 M-3 
 Right 
7153-7154
 M-3 
 Right 
x7155-7157
 M-3 
 Right 
 M-3 
 Right 
x7159
 M-3 
 Right 
 M-3 
 Right 
x7161
 M-3 
 Right 
 M-3 
 Right 
x7163
 M-3 
 Right 
7164-7173
 M-3 
 Right 
x7174
 M-3 
 Right 
 M-3 
 Right 
x7176
 M-3 
 Right 
7177-7178
 M-3 
 Right 
x7179-7186
 M-3 
 Right 
7187-7189
 M-3 
 Right 
1913 Cars marked x carried over to 1914,
and given new numbers
7190-7300 Not Used
7301-7481
 M-4 
 Left 
c7482-7581
 M-4 
 Left 
7582-7604
 M-4 
 Left 
c7605-7616
 M-4 
 Left 
7617-7668
 M-4 
 Left 
c7669-7676
 M-4 
 Left 
7677-7800 No Comment
7801-7857 (14)
7096-7152 (13)
 Left 
7858-7865 (14)
7179-7186 (13)
 Left 
7866 (14)
7159 (13)
 Left 
7867 (14)
7161 (13)
 Left 
7868 (14)
7176 (13)
 Left 
7869 (14)
7156 (13)
 Left 
7870 (14)
7157 (13)
 Left 
7871 (14)
7174 (13)
 Left 
7872 (14)
7155 (13)
 Left 
7873 (14)
7163 (13)
 Left 
7874-8000 Not Used
8001-8136
 R-3 
 Left 
c8137-8146
 R-3 
 Left 
8147-8181
 R-3 
 Left 
c8182-8186
 R-3 
 Left 
8187-8234
 R-3 
 Left 
c8235-8240
 R-3 
 Left 
8241-8322
 R-3 
 Left 
c8323-8326
 R-3 
 Left 
8327-8700 Not Used
8701-8708 (1914)
6803-6813 (13) R
 Left 
8709-8782 (1914)
6815-6888 (13) R
 Left 
8783 Not Used
8784-8799 (1914)
6943-6958 (13) R
 Left 
1914 Cars marked c cancelled
8800-8995
 M-5 
 Left 
8996-9099 Not Used
9100-9399
 M-5 
 Left 
9400-10000
 R-4 
 Left 
10001-10600
 M-6 
 Left 
10601-11299
 R-6 
 Left 
11300-12000
 M-7 
 Left 
12001-12810
 R-7 
 Left 
12811-13060
 M-7 
 Left 
14100 - 14,979
 R-7 
 Left 
15,021 - 16,250
 R-7 
 Left 
17,000 and up
 R-7 
 Left 
18,101 and up
 1921-23  
 R-7 
 Left 
19,001 and up
 1924-25  
 Series 10 
 Left 
33,101-33,324
 Model 90 
 Left 
Notes:
In 1912 Loco smaller 38 H.P. model, introduced in 1912, following the lead by competitor Pierce-Arrow.
Model 38 Series 2 (R-38-2) began with Serial number 5690 in 1912

This chart came from the Locomobile Society link, the source of my understanding of the 1917 year, although I did find a 1920 date on the transmission so you may be correct.

I also notice the list shows 8327-8700 Not Used yet I do have a crank case and rods marked 8656 so I am not clear on the accuracy of the info.

What do you think?