Locomobile model 48 and 38 engine related topics

Ittenbacher Frank

I will post some defining dimensions tomorrow and we can begin the discussion. Probably the big catch is the compression height for use in a Locomobile 48.  Fortunately, these pistons only cost $45. per each. So with the worst case scenario, I am not out heavily.

Al

Ouch, I was going to say it would be easy to remove the dome and then cut for a 4th ring. If this company makes the pistons instead of just sourcing them, on a new order could they make the wrist pin area higher and undrilled allowing you to have a local machine shop do the final drilling and alignment of such? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 2:46 PM, rydersclassics said:

Nice looking piston Al.

Just curious about the wrist pin center to top of piston distance comparison.

How much material can you remove from the top of your new piston?     

Afraid it looks like a reach to far. 

Dear Al, what are the news? Could you machine the piston to the required compression height? How much of wall thickness is remaining at the crown?

• Like 1

Your questions are good but still up in the air at this time. I am mostly concerned about the compression height. I know I will be able to remachine the dome but have not yet. I have been on a road trip doing old automobile business, delivered fenders I sold to a fellow in Pennsylvania, picked up a 1913 American-LaFrance engine, now going to a pre 1942 swap meet to pick up some pieces I need a long with the jump seats for the Locomobile Limousine, two Buffalo 19" wire wheels, and lastly a partial Locomobile steering column.

What fun it is. The swap meet is in Oklahoma. I am hoping to be home by Sunday. More update then....

Alan

• Like 2

Here is the "Paul Harvey" response to my just completed road trip. Sadly, per the trend brought on by COVID, this Chickasha meet was very small. As usual plenty of T and A stuff, a fair amount of brass lamps, not very much heavy classic type parts. I hope steps are taken to change up the Chickasha meet that will still encourage pre war material but be inclusive of the 50's and muscle car stuff. The only Locomobile part that I saw first hand was the partial steering column that was brought to the meet for me, (previous purchase). A set of four #4 Houk wire wheel hubs found their way into my truck and made the ride to Utah.  I did locate and complete a set of #5 Buffalo wire wheel caps, and another gent delivered a pair of 19" #5 Buffalo wire wheels, (to complete a set). I also stopped by a friend's place and picked up a pair of bronze jump seats, that have been waiting since last year for me to pick up, this is good for the Locomobile Limousine. Lastly, but not Locomobile related, part of the trip was a side run to Pa. to pick up a 1913 rebuilt and running 6 cylinder T head Pederson dripper engine for use in an original to Utah American -LaFrance fire truck. All told, this was a great trip for my son and I, but not as much a highlight as hoped for surrounding the Swap Meet. We did stop at the Canton Antique Auto Museum for a nice driving break and ended up getting a private tour of the largest stash of Lincoln parts in the world! If you need Lincoln parts, they are for sale and I can provide a direct number to reach the right guy. I will post a couple of pictures as I get time.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 3