1966 AMC Ambassador 2 door HT $4,500 Not Mine

Marketplace - 1966 AMC Ambassador DPL | Facebook

May be an image of car and outdoors

No photo description available.

Seller's Description

1966 AMC Ambassador. 343 V8 runs great starts right up. Breaks work great. I've had it for about 5 years and driven it all over the place with no problems. Has a Bluetooth stereo in the glove box and 2 Pioneer speakers in the trunk. It's definitely a project car and that being said, it's not perfect. Has some rust but nothing structural. Needs new ball joints and tie rods, but it's still able to be driven. Buy it now, work on it over the winter, and come spring time you'll have a cool cruiser! I'm not in a position where I absolutely have to sell it, so don't waste your time or mine with lowball offers

• Like 4

I like this. But then I have a thing for mid-‘60s Ramblers. Looks like some rot on the hood?  And definitely some in front of the rear wheel. 

I like the houndstooth seats and they look to be in good shape. 

Nice to know the breaks work great, but how are the brakes? 

I could see using this as a daily driver in the decent weather months. If it is truly solid underneath. But I’d be submitting a lowball offer. 😀

• Haha 1

That's a DPL. Can any of you guys tell what color it is? Pastel green maybe? Or is that a trick of the camera?

There was a pastel green one in my area 40 or so years ago. It was not the original color, the original paint might have been silver. I always wondered what happened to it. It was a 327 4 barrel. This car says it has a 343, and it may, but if so it didn't come with it. That is a second generation engine that wasn't available yet when this car was built. It should have a first generation AMC (Nash/Hudson) 287 or 327. Since this car is top of the line, it is possible they might all be 327s. Every one I have seen had a 327, but most were 2 barrels.

I believe these all had vinyl tops. The one in my area had black vinyl. It is missing in the pics (a good thing in my opinion), but it looks like the little "DPL" badges are missing too.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Sal Hepatica said:

You could get this with the 232 six. It most likely has the 287/327 V8. This is the last year of torque tube drive for senior Rambler's.

That houndstooth upholstery is original DPL.

Sal

I think we determined by the sellers description that the original motor was gone and was replaced by the 343.  An assumption to be sure but since the 343 is a known AMC motor and because perhaps the original motor got tired in the 1970's, perhaps it was replaced with a 343.  

To me, this is a great collector car.  Some of us, me included, are a bit worn out by the idea that collector cars and the hobby are dominated by over restored cars or high dollar cars, some of which are justified.  I've owned 260 cars in my life and enjoyed this sort of car just as much as the more expensive ones. 

What a joy this would be to own, enjoy and drive at perhaps a $4,000 purchase price.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

And, for our record, the asking price is $4500,

and the car is stated to be in Rockford, Illinois.

No telephone number was listed in the ad.

One of the reasons for not posting your phone number in FB ad's is the amount of robocalls from scammers and telemarketers. It sucks!

40 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

One of the reasons for not posting your phone number in FB ad's is the amount of robocalls from scammers and telemarketers. It sucks!

When the phone number is spelled out in an alpha-numeric way, the robocall bots can't glean complete phone numbers by culling the on-line ads. The area codes are a matter of public record so can be (###) but the private phone number should be #-aba-#-ede-#-#-wsw.   All the robocall bot will get are the numerals, nothing for the number written in letters.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

58L, that makes sense but honestly it would only take me a few minutes to write a program to parse any number of alpha numeric codes. I’m sure the bot folks are smarter than me. So I’m not sure if that method really works. 

So far it works, eventually they'll write a program to do as you describe, then we're back to square one.

• Like 1