For Sale: 1960 Chrysler Imperial - "In our family for years" -"Come see it and fall in love" - Linden, NJ - Not Mine - 12/26 SOLD!

For sale on OfferUp: 1960 Chrysler Imperial in Linden, NJ  -  Contact Seller for price  -  Must be a member of OfferUp to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://offerup.com/item/detail/1315564704/1960-Chrysler-Imperial

Seller's Description:

1960 Chrysler Imperial

• Condition: Very Good
  • 49,000 Miles
  • Posted 15 days ago in Linden, NJ

Selling a like new collectors item. This has been in our family for years. Letting it go for personal reasons. Come see it and fall in love with it.

image.png.71bc3c0f9d1dc537404604a0fe69ff0b.png

image.png.9b89f189f36ec04ccdce5373a9d451a4.png

image.png.4439e9fd83221fbfff89c77ee926827c.png

image.png.a540f6dbba5c2cb738764406fbe99b9f.png

image.png.5ab5c55aa030b65a3fa8be9b0c083660.png

image.png.d99782c72a9b047f045e673b99188074.png

image.png.c2e5a2ac90b892d376abe307f5bbae47.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Awfully nice looking car, well cared for except that mark on the trunk. Not sure of what the value of this car is, but sure looks good. 

I'm not sure what "mark on the trunk" you're seeing.

You don't mean the recessed chrome trunk-lid handle

directly below the spare-tire impression, do you?

It also contains the key slot for the trunk lid.

image.png.c2e5a2ac90b892d376abe307f5bbae47.png

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 12/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Non-A/C Imperial.  Very odd...

Chris, I have a 1961 Imperial.  I don't have

production figures, but it is not at all strange

to find one without air conditioning.  At that time,

air conditioning was not that common even in

luxury cars, and from my experience, there are

more such Imperials WITHOUT that option than with.

Every buyer sets a budget, even those whose budgets

might seem high to others.  As it has been said,

no one ever got rich by going shopping!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Chris, I have a 1961 Imperial.  I don't have

production figures, but it is not at all strange

to find one without air conditioning.  At that time,

air conditioning was not that common even in

luxury cars, and from my experience, there are

more such Imperials WITHOUT that option than with.

Every buyer sets a budget, even those whose budgets

might seem high to others.  As it has been said,

no one ever got rich by going shopping!

I find it strange.  My brother's 60 Imperial Southampton has all the bells and whistles.  Considering the costs of the Imperial I do find it odd those that could afford the Imperial did not go the distance with AC. 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here's another picture, where the recessed

handle is also visible.  This Imperial is from 1961:

DSCF4786.JPG

I looked at the black car and to me the pic is not real sharp as the one above, so I mistook this for a a missing part, or flaw in the finish. I stand corrected. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)

I wasnt alive then, born in '64 but my thought was that A/C was not all that common in the 50s, and early 60's. Even if it was a high end car, the people buying them I would imagine were a bit older, perhaps stuck in their ways and used to having cars without a/c. May have not been high on the priority list such as on cars today.  I can remember when I was younger looking at a new car a/c was an option a lot of times, along with power windows. Now I bet its hard to get a car without either.

• Like 1

Quite a few people avoided air conditioning in those days because it was in the way for service, often not working, used extra fuel when it was working, and in many cases would cause the car to boil on the hottest days. It only got worse in the 70s. It would be hard to sell AC to someone for a significant amount of money when they knew they would probably have to shut it off or risk boiling the car when the weather got really hot. I would bet on this Imperial keeping it's cool better than most other luxury cars of the time, but it doesn't change anything. AC had that reputation.

A lot of cars sold in the 50’s and 60’s had no AC if sold in the north, no heater if sold in the south.  It’s hard for one now to imagine that was the norm, but it was.  Car appears to be in beautiful condition, I’ve not been exposed to that styling enough for it to grow on me….

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1960 Chrysler Imperial - "In our family for years" -"Come see it and fall in love" - Linden, NJ - Not Mine - 12/26 SOLD!
On 12/21/2021 at 1:56 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Again, how does “Offer Up” work, especially when no starting price is listed?   

It's just like Craigslist. Most ads I've looked at had prices but not always. You would have to inquire about the price if it was showing a $1 just like any other classified.

This looked like a really nice car.

• Thanks 1

…and now we have no idea what the sale price was, right? Does not help market understanding at all.  What was it for sale for?  We don’t know.  What did it sell for?  We don’t know.   

In some respects I am not a fan of the greed and profit prerogative of the old car hobby.  

As far as I can tell no one opined about what we thought a 49,000 mile 1960 Imperial should sell for!   We have limited information on this “ad”.