1958 Roadmaster Fluid Leak Mystery

highcking

In the past I’ve had trouble with a gas leak at the tank gauge when the tank was full. This problem was taken care of over a year ago with a new gauge, seal, and installation procedure. Yesterday I topped off the tank, and later on noticed a fluid leak right below the gauge sender unit. If that fluid were gasoline, I’d have a problem but not a mystery. But I don’t think it is gas. Catching it in a drip pan, I find that the fluid is pale green, has very little odor, is a bit oily to the touch, evaporates slowly, and will combust slowly when touched by flame. All these factors lead me to believe the fluid is antifreeze. (The cooling system has a green mixture.) The gas gauge area is the low point of the tank flange which explains why it overflows the flange there.

The mystery - how is antifreeze getting to the outside top of the gas tank? The radiator is full and I have not driven the car much in months. On the drive to the gas station and back I was making 55 mph which would have blown away anything already in the tank flange. There are no coolant hoses that far back.

Ideas anyone?

Is the car losing antifreeze (seems the answer should be 'yes')?  Is there any evidence of antifreeze in the engine compartment?  Look at water pump and radiator overflow tube.  If antifreeze is leaking while the car is being driven, it could be blown back under the car and accumulate almost anywhere.  It would then drip to the ground when the car is parked.  Does the car have an under-seat rear heater core?  If so, I think those lines run under the car and a leak could spray antifreeze back to the gas tank while driving...

• Like 1

Emtee---you will be correct---after new hoses are fitted   it is not unusual  after about  a month for  some 

to require  tightening  up again.--it happened to myself  just a couple of months ago ,on my 64,

after i replaced  all heater hoses.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

Updated report. The car has been sitting in the garage for two days and the greenish fluid still drips from the gas tank flange. The big oil splash pan is now covered with a thin layer of fluid. I'd guess if I poured it out there would be maybe 4-6 ounces. So far no noticeable drop in the radiator level though that amount of fluid wouldn't make much of a dent at the radiator.

I am ruling out "splash back" from driving at high speed, that would have left fluid all over the bottom of the car. No sign of that. On evaporation -- the pan fluid does not seem to be evaporating now that the temp is cooler. My impression is that there is some water mixed in with whatever is dripping. No smell of gasoline.

This weekend I'll put the rear end up on ramps and take a look. The forward slant of the body should drive the dripping to another location. I can also run a cooling system pressure test -- I have one of the old Stant kits for doing that. 

Thanks for all the replies!

My question was posted on two forums. If that is against any rules, I apologize. I don’t know about the @ business. The answer is that gasoline is in fact leaking slowly at the tank sender. But the gas is evaporating on the cold metal, causing a watery condensate to drip that has no gasoline left in it. Odd phenomenon. I’ll have to go after the sender unit seal yet again, or just never fill the tank over half full. 

1 hour ago, highcking said:

My question was posted on two forums. If that is against any rules, I apologize. I don’t know about the @ business. The answer is that gasoline is in fact leaking slowly at the tank sender. But the gas is evaporating on the cold metal, causing a watery condensate to drip that has no gasoline left in it. Odd phenomenon. I’ll have to go after the sender unit seal yet again, or just never fill the tank over half full. 

Post where you want but please😂 update all forums.

No rules against using multiple identities but it just confuses old people like me.

• Haha 1

That’s what’s on there now! I had leaks with the thin neoprene type so I switched to the cork style. This worked well for the past year, until the latest tank fill up. It may just need a SLIGHT turn on the screws. Thanks for letting me know it works for someone!