Entertainment - some automobile content

carbking

We have a local radio station that has what they call the "Country Sale", where listeners may call in, and share items they have for sale.

I rarely buy, sometimes sell, but always listen to the program for the entertainment.

Today:

(1) Lady calls in selling a 2004 something car with a really good engine, a pristine interior, good tires, etc. THE ENGINE ISN'T RUNNING WELL, AND THE DEALERSHIP CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG!

(2) Sponsor is a car repair shop. "Our average mechanic has over 60 years experience"??? How old are these mechanics?

(3) Lady calls in selling a brand new chain saw for her husband. It has only been used a few times.

Jon

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Some radio shows are truly entertaining. Do you remember Car Talk with the tappet brothers, Click & Clack on public radio? They offered repair advise with a big dose of humor. I think the shows can be found online still.

I enjoyed listening to "Car Talk".  I always wondered about all the people still driving the older cars and working on them not knowing the show had been off air for many years and I was listening to reruns.  Turned out the cars with problems weren't actually that old.

• Haha 1

If you are into YouTube, Scott Kilmer is a good mechanic that reviews vehicles, auto components,  and general life comments that are funny to watch and hear.  50 years of experience but has an affinity towards Toyota and Honda's, but is not shy about talking poor designs, rip-off products, or when it is not worth buying a car (new or used).  I think he has a streaming show too..

Click and Clack on "Car Talk" was a great show to listen to back in the day.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Do you remember Car Talk with the tappet brothers, Click & Clack on public radio? They offered repair advise with a big dose of humor. I think the shows can be found online still.

I enjoyed listening to Tom and Ray, the Magliozzi brothers who sometimes referred to themselves as "Click and Clack", the sound of frequently misadjusted (maladjusted?) valve lifters.

Their advice was generally spot-on, and sometimes I just wanted to yell at the radio.

Comedy mixed with advice was a winning formula.

I did had the opportunity to meet, and to chat with them many, many years ago, and we shared a few humorous stories.

Every time any female named "Donna" phoned the show, they always would ask 
"How's the Camaro?", seemingly inferring (implying?) that there tended to be a correlation in vehicle and ownership.

Tom Magliozzi died on November 3, 2014, aged 77, in Belmont, Massachusetts, due to complications from Alzheimer's disease.

I miss their brand of dialogue, and their Saturday morning show.

• Like 2

I listened to them on Saturday mornings from across Lake Erie in Turkey Point Ontario. The reception was perfect from 30 miles across from Erie. Penn.

Always enjoyable, taken with humour and a grain o' salt over morning coffee when anchored  off Long Point or at dock side in the marina.

• Like 1

A local radio swap show has been turned into a Netflix reality show called "Swap Shop Dash for Cash". We have watched it a couple of times, somewhat entertaining since they are going to local places and have had a few people on that I have met at car events.

I sponsored Car Talk on the local public radio station for several years when I had my collision shop. Probably never got a job from it, but even other shop owners commented on what a great idea it was!

Donnas owned Firebirds, the other F body. I thought that was funny, as I had a cousin Donna, who owned a Firebird back in high school!🤣

Swap shop shows can be funny. Richmond was too big of a market to have them.