How to remove ancient gas tank sealer?

m-mman

The car is a 1942 Hudson. It was restored about the 1990s.

The gas tank is gorgeous EXCEPT after cleaning the tank way back when, they put a sealer coating in it. 

Now 30 or so years later the sealer is coming off. It is peeling and making powder which is seen in the filters. The tank metal is great, the sender is still in excellent conditions. 

I suspect that the sealer is an older formula that is incompatible with current fuels(?)

The sealer is white in color if that helps determine the type. 

Yes I know about Renu but I really dont want to cut the tank open. A radiator shop (that does gas tank work) looked at it and said that IF he could get MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) it would easily wash out the old sealer. 

HOWEVER I am in California and MEK was banned many years ago. . . . . 

Anybody have experience with removing ancient sealer?  In a simple manner

Sounds like a drive, tour, vacation to Nevada, Oregon, Arizona.... is in your future.😉

• Like 2

MEK is not banned where I live, but has become impossible to obtain. Don't assume it is available until you have a can of it in your hand. The sell a cheaper chemical, Ethyl Acetate, calling it "MEK substitute" with the "substitute" in small print. Funny, the price has not come down. Maybe Ethyl Acetate would work?

Whatever solvent you use, throw a couple short lengths of 1/4" or 5/16" chain and/or a few pounds of old nuts and bolts (big ones) in the tank along with the solvent, then roll the tank over and over to scrub the old stuff out.  Be sure to take out the fuel level sensor when you do this so you don't damage it.

• Like 1

Follow up and my experiences

The car a 1942 Hudson restored in the late 1990s.

The fuel tank 

IMG_4704.jpg.25f00648573fa90655762d044395707a.jpgIMG_4705.jpg.51945e5adaebf3d1ad9e085fbfde2d3a.jpg

The problem:   Ancient gas tank sealer. That was flaking off and rust coating below it.  Radiator shop said he could boil it and clean it BUT I would have to remove the old sealer. He said that MEK was the stuff to dissolve the old sealer but it is no longer available in California. 

Today they sell this:

IMG_4707.jpg.aaf983193fcbe510835b9bb068b71d71.jpg

Not actual MEK, it is some other chemical. Who knows what?? There is nothing explicite on the label, just instructions that if you have to know, to go to their website.

I wanted to try it on some uncontaminated sealer first and that existed in the filler neck. 

IMG_4702.jpg.0464426899b6d17140099750a7ac4ea6.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg.b5e64975e0dc588eb0193f8652bcacd7.jpg

So I stuffed an old sock in the neck and soaked it with the new MEK. 

IMG_4711.jpg.bf627f6dd62d99b8f55fc8a2004a99b2.jpg

IT WORKED!!!    The old sealer softened up and peeled off like paint stripper 

Easily removed with a wire brush. 

IMG_4712.jpg.55314e34f7edf50829438418d50f2323.jpgIMG_4717.jpg.6371667300beddd3d7005e738444ccbc.jpg

Now what about the rest of the tank?

• Like 2

OK so now I know that the new MEK does soften up the old sealer what about the rest of the tank?

Peering inside I could see that some old sealer was stuck but some was already flaking off due to the light rust developing behind it. 

Before I wasted the gallon of New MEK I tried just flushing it out with water. Sure enough most if it came out with filling (high pressure nozzle) sloshing and pouring. 

IMG_4718.jpg.0fcf3bb6834238662933763c82bcd2dd.jpgIMG_4721.jpg.d3cfcd3ee3b55c20d9bc7df896246d19.jpg

You can see the old white sealer and the rust covered back side. 

filling (with water) and sloshing and dumping I was able to get 99% of the old stuff out.  <hurray!> 

BUT the question originally posed was "Does the new MEK soften up and remove old sealer?" 

I took a pile of the chips to the bench and covered them with the new MEK. IMG_4722.jpg.1abc4f947c76ba16770198522991bae7.jpg

Sure enough the big flakes of old sealer did soften and break into tiny soft segments AND separated from the rust. 

Maybe not that clear the heavier rust particles were swimming around separately from the old sealer. 

Conclusion: Yes, the New substitute MEK does indeed soften old gas tank sealer for sloshing removal.

I now have a decent tank with a light coat of rust. . . . .  The reflexive solution is to open it and sand blast it and reseal it.  It currently does not leak and has patches from the older cleaning. I am hesitant to open it up again and use more sealer. 

A thought came to mind. Has anybody ever tried sloshing with Miracle paint or POR15? 

This stuff is great on suspension and undercarriage parts. I have put it over light rust coats and it sticks and does not seem to be affected by any fuel or solvents that I have spilled or applied to it.  

Theoretically it SHOULD cover and seal the light rust in this tank, as it does on my suspension. . . . . Has anybody tried it??

However I am a little hesitant 

• Like 1

Well, Miracle Paint is sold by Bill Hirsch, and they also sell gas tank sealer, so give them an email as to what they think. They do sell a cleaner to be used before the sealer.