Hard To Find Oil Filters

cutlasguy

The only place I had been able to buy AC Delco PF24 Oil Filters for my 72 Cutlass had been Pep Boys. Unfortunately they recently went out of business in my area,forcing me to search the internet! I found nine available on EBay of which I bought four. They were going for 25 bucks each.

When they arrived the boxes were yellow with age but the filters were pristine and original. The real shocker was the price stickers on the boxes.  $1.98  Now that's inflation!

2 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I'll be honest. I want nothing to do with new production ACD filters. If you can find old stock those are good filters.

I'm not even sure what ACD number works on BOP engines anymore, they've consolidated so many numbers.

the filter media fails as it ages

What Glenn said. AC Delco filter quality went straight in the toilet when production was moved outside the US. You can easily compare old and new - just look at the thickness of the top plate metal for example. I use Wix/NAPA Gold exclusively (Wix also makes the NAPA filters). Wix 51258/NAPA 1258 is the direct replacement for the PF24. Wix 51049/NAPA 1049 is a larger full quart filter that also fits. I actually use this one on all my Oldsmobiles. If you care about the optics of the filter, you can paint the Wix filter white and get repro PF24 decals.

PF24.jpg

• Like 1

If the boxes were pristine they MIGHT be okay, but the condition of the box showing that the storage has not been good is telling. The filters might have been stored in an attic in Texas and the filter elements are so dry as to be dust, or a damper environment causing mold decay… I like Joe’s solution and I don’t think it would be any more expensive than $25 per filter, would it???

The old oil ad “ you can pay me now or pay me later” comes to mind!

Just ask yourself if you can afford to rebuild the engine if one of the filters fails and you will be much farther ahead in the long run.

I have found that NAPA is able to provide me with everything that I need for all my cars no matter what year.

Although recently they cut off their computer info at 1950.🥵

I use napa quite often for parts for my 77 pontiac. It surprised me that they seem to have most of the parts I have needed. I do surmise that GM used a good bit of stuff across the board so that may help. The one thing I have found with napa though, the online sight will say part in stock at my local store, when I get there they tell me they have none and have to order it  in. After a couple of times I have started to call ahead and double check.

1 minute ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Pf24, I remember when every possible filter source had baskets of those... like GR78 15 tires.

Well, they fit pretty much every 1964-1990 GM V8 except Chevy. Considering that the last of those was built over three decades ago, there are few on the road any more. AC Delco has not only shifted production offshore but has dramatically consolidated part numbers to save cost. Given how few PF24s they've sold in the last few years, it's not surprising that they have been discontinued.

Joe sometimes it seems the last 40 years or so has changed overnight.  Funny what makes one think "where has time gone".

We went through dozens of these when I was doing oil changes at gas station after school.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I look at the oil I drain from my collector cars once a year, the most used at 1500 miles, the others around 500 to 1,000, I know there isn't really anything to filter out. So I may skip the filter change three or four years and just change when the oil soaked media has aged to my discretion. I always make it a point to fully warm the car's engine and drivetrain even if I move the car over one car space. Usually if I start a car it goes at least 5 to 10 miles just on the principle of the thing.

Fuel filters are the same unless I tossed the element years ago. I top off the tank frequently and flush a lot through the carb. No concerns about rust or sediment.

Whatever may have needed filtering if fairly easy to avoid building up in the first place.

In the 1990's I had a daily driver that was a '56 Olds. It suffered from long term storage and the tank was loaded with rusty silt. So fine it was never a problem. When I pulled the plugs to check them they had nice clean orange tips. No filters or problems with that one either.

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Joe sometimes it seems the last 40 years or so has changed overnight.  Funny what makes one think "where has time gone".

We went through dozens of these when I was doing oil changes at gas station after school.

I'm with you, Steve. I still think of anything later than 1972 as a "new" car. 😁

• Like 2