Budding Interest & Question

lakelandmusic

Hello folks.   I'm new to the forum, with a growing interest in vintage and antique vehicles.
I spent my childhood wrenching on old cars with my grandfather, Anthony, who was a mechanic since he was a teenager in the 1940's,
a Technician in an ordinance unit in Korea, service manager at Hempstead Ford in NY in the 1960's, and owned a Dodge dealership from 1974 until 1994.  

I grew up loving automotive and old vehicles, one of my favorite projects was a 1941 Plymouth coupe.
The musty smell of the upholstery, the style of the body, the feel of sitting in the cab, the advanced air conditioning system (some may call it the tiny fan haha), and the feeling getting it back on the road with the old man and seeing how damn happy he was driving it.

Turning 40 in November, my grandfather is 89, no longer able to get under a hood, and I proudly have been gifted

his beloved and fairly extensive tool set. I came here by chance, I was looking up a part number for an interesting looking gauge I've never seen before, and happened upon a post from someone else attempting to identify an old tool from the same manufacturer.  Saw the forum,
and thought this seems like a cool place check out.  I am starting to get an itch to own and maintain an old comfortable boat of some kind, undecided as of yet.  I also hope to satisfy my curiosity as I can identify most tools, but this one is stumping me, and google searches for the part were unsuccessful.  It's functional component is a pressure gauge of some kind, using a small rod at the top of the gauge for measurement.  If anyone knows something about it I'd much appreciate knowing.   Thanks and see you around the forum.

20211021_010248.jpg

20211021_010256.jpg

If you have a car with a clutch the flywheel is the friction surface so it's important that it's flat, and that it's installed on the crankshaft correctly so there is no wobble.
You can check something like that by putting the gauge on it, zeroing it and turning the flywheel to see if the gauge stays at zero.

Screenshot (1180).png

• Thanks 1

Nice, thank you.  Make sense, my grandfather spent a lot of years working on transmissions at Ford, I'm sure it got a lot of use!
Never had to use one before, good to know it's there though!  There is a ton of cool items,  Snap-On torque wrench, last calibrated in '75, I'm going to see if I can

get that one checked, full battery of compression\vacuum\fuel pressure test kits, 70 year old air tools, die and tap kits, some cool tools. Bunch of similar run out gauges, bore gauges, and micrometers too.

20211021_015537.jpg

20211021_015525.jpg

20211021_015806.jpg

No doubt about it.  I'll still keep them right where they were in the boxes though.  I doubt I'll use much of this stuff, except the pressure test kits and arsenal of ratchets and wrenches, but maybe, one day they will emerge and do what they were meant to. And it feels good to be close to em.

• Like 1

On the dial gauges you should "exercise" them a little by pulling / pushing the measuring pin to move the needle around the dial a bit. The internals are lightly oiled. I have quite a few by Starrett and another company for a different hobby of mine and over time they can gum-up. If so they won't work well as small changes may not register or the needle won't reliably stop at the correct hash mark. I believe may be able to be opened for cleaning but not a typical DIY job for those without experience....Nice gifts. The new retail prices of these are quite tall.

Welcome to the forum. Def the place to be if you want to talk about old cars. Take your time and do research before you jump in. Unless of course there is that one car that sparks something that you just have to get ahold of. Most of the guys on here know more about old cars than the cars themselves, and are happy to answer questions. Some old cars are cheaper and easier to work on, maintain and keep on the road than others and their insight will help. Good Luck.

I like the story of a grandfather passing down cherished, quality tools of their trade to a younger man in the family.  In this throw away retail society we have evolved into, it appeals to me.  Very cool you are maintaining and learning about them. I hope they get some use in the future when you find an older car to work on and enjoy. You’ll think of your grandfather every time you use those tools on your car. 

grab a picture of the two of you together with both of you having your hands on that snap on torque wrench.  Keep that picture for the days ahead. 

• Like 6

I still have a few tools my Grandfather passed along to me. He was a civilian contractor maintaining military training aircraft during WW2 , post war it was mainly war surplus DC-3's and Beach 18's. Unfortunately many of them were stolen during a break in at the shop where I was working , but I still have 25 or so tools that were at home at the time. Plus a substantial amount that came from my wife's grandfather. 1940's and 50's Snap on with lots of wear. Tools worked for a living back in those days.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

One thing I noticed on you grandfathers tools, is that on the torque wrench is a certification sticker from Snap On Tools. I doubt that any of us has ever sent a torque wrench or other measuring tool in for re-certification. He must have thought very highly of his tools.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:
40 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

One thing I noticed on you grandfathers tools, is that on the torque wrench is a certification sticker from Snap On Tools. I doubt that any of us has ever sent a torque wrench or other measuring tool in for re-certification. He must have thought very highly of his tools.

For sure he did and does.  When we talk he asks me if I found this or that and if I'm taking care of them lol. 

3 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I like the story of a grandfather passing down cherished, quality tools of their trade to a younger man in the family.  In this throw away retail society we have evolved into, it appeals to me.  Very cool you are maintaining and learning about them. I hope they get some use in the future when you find an older car to work on and enjoy. You’ll think of your grandfather every time you use those tools on your car. 

grab a picture of the two of you together with both of you having your hands on that snap on torque wrench.  Keep that picture for the days ahead. 

It's a good feeling.  I hope I can do the same.
I have a brother who actually works as a mechanic for UPS, he would have been the logical choice,
but he passed them to me, while I have a decent amount of experience as a DIYer I'm not actively in the field.   It was a special moment between us for sure.

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Welcome to the forum. Def the place to be if you want to talk about old cars. Take your time and do research before you jump in. Unless of course there is that one car that sparks something that you just have to get ahold of. Most of the guys on here know more about old cars than the cars themselves, and are happy to answer questions. Some old cars are cheaper and easier to work on, maintain and keep on the road than others and their insight will help. Good Luck.

I absolutely plan on researching, and lurking around here and asking some questions.  Thank you all for the welcome.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lakelandmusic said:

I am starting to get an itch to own and maintain an old comfortable boat of some kind,

I have this one listed in the Portland C/L

Comfortable? may be debatable,

Fun? No question

https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/boa/d/newberg-awesome-classic-boat-restored/7395042563.html

IM002734.JPG

IM002738 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:48 PM, JACK M said:

That is pretty awesome, thought I meant boat in the figurative sense.  A large comfortable four wheeled vehicle lol

I have this one listed in the Portland C/L

Comfortable? may be debatable,

Fun? No question

https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/boa/d/newberg-awesome-classic-boat-restored/7395042563.html

IM002734.JPG

IM002738 - Copy.JPG

• Haha 1

No matter how old and neat a tool is, it really isnt good for much UNLESS it is in the hands of a knowledgeable craftsman who knows how and does use it. 

In some families musical instruments are handed down and while beautiful, if you cant play it they are little more than a stone statue. 

On Antiques Roadshow it is very common for someone to bring in an heirloom violin. The appraiser asks about the history and we learn that the deceased person had a long history of playing a particular style of music. (sometimes there is a photo of the deceased in the band) The appraiser tells them that it is moderately valuable, then asks if the heir can play it. Too commonly the answer is: "No I never had time to learn . . . "  Watching, you know that the heirloom will just go back in its case and sadly remain silent forever. 

Do you really want to become connected to Grandfather's tools? LEARN TO USE THEM! 

Set it up where he can watch you use them!  

Have him teach you how to properly hold a wrench. (so you dont bust your knuckles) 

Ask him about why you do/dont use a long extension when torquing a bolt.

Set up those dial indicators and get him to explain what "run out" really means. 

It sounds like you are not much of a mechanic at the moment. It really does take a lifetime to become a craftsman. But if he can teach you about the tools now on small worthless projects/demonstrations you will eventually develop your own skills and someday you can use them as well as your grandfather did.

Then the tools will no longer be 'silent' and you can be your own virtuoso. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great story. If you want to learn about mechanics and working on old cars start with something simple, like an old six cylinder American car. Maybe a Falcon. Good luck in your journey. I plan on leaving all my tools to my Son, who is a thankfully a gearhead. I said that I would quit wrenching at Seventy, but that deadline is becoming too close to the horizon! 

On 10/21/2021 at 2:01 AM, lakelandmusic said:

Nice, thank you.  Make sense, my grandfather spent a lot of years working on transmissions at Ford, I'm sure it got a lot of use!
Never had to use one before, good to know it's there though!  There is a ton of cool items,  Snap-On torque wrench, last calibrated in '75, I'm going to see if I can

get that one checked, full battery of compression\vacuum\fuel pressure test kits, 70 year old air tools, die and tap kits, some cool tools. Bunch of similar run out gauges, bore gauges, and micrometers too.

20211021_015537.jpg

20211021_015525.jpg

20211021_015806.jpg

The first two pictures are of his torque wrench.   The last picture is a dial indicator.  I have one similar that I use to check rotor runout.