What's in the glove box and trunk of a 50s car?

Mr. Reed

The little 6v fans weren't usually lighter plug powered, but clamped to the steering column and wired in permanently. Their real intended purpose was defogging the windshield in the winter. They were probably mainly seen in trucks in the 50s, and older used cars, as real heated defrosters were fairly common in 50s cars.

im003018-jpg.1116271

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I saw that photo Charles produced for his 53 Pontiac glove box and in the shot were two pens. So this is a FYI for everyone no matter what car you drive. God forbid anyone getting in a accident, or anything having to do with having to write down something. Ball point pens dry up, especially in a car that's been sitting in the sun or just left without use. Always keep a pencil in the glove box and something to write on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

The little 6v fans weren't usually lighter plug powered, but clamped to the steering column and wired in permanently. Their real intended purpose was defogging the windshield in the winter. They were probably mainly seen in trucks in the 50s, and older used cars, as real heated defrosters were fairly common in 50s cars.

im003018-jpg.1116271

Where could I find a 6 vt lighter powered one?

58 minutes ago, Mr. Reed said:

Where could I find a 6 vt lighter powered one?

I am supposed to be picking some stuff up this week and I was told there is a brand new one in the lot, but I doubt it is a for a lighter, I have never seen one like that all were hard wired. I will let you know next week. Sometimes these trips are good, most times not. I had one about a month ago and the rubber fan blades were all dry rotted, it sold at Hershey and the guy was glad to get it so, you never know.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, John348 said:

I am supposed to be picking some stuff up this week and I was told there is a brand new one in the lot, but I doubt it is a for a lighter, I have never seen one like that all were hard wired. I will let you know next week. Sometimes these trips are good, most times not. I had one about a month ago and the rubber fan blades were all dry rotted, it sold at Hershey and the guy was glad to get it so, you never know.

Thank you John. We'll keep in touch

• Like 1

In talking about glove box stuff, gas station maps were mentioned.  I’ve been thinking of using some for making a garage display.  Any thoughts on this layout?  I have enough Esso to make it all Esso, wife says a mix is better.

1210BC00-0375-4E81-BFFC-3863B2A40E8C.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TerryB said:

In talking about glove box stuff, gas station maps were mentioned.  I’ve been thinking of using some for making a garage display.  Any thoughts on this layout?  I have enough Esso to make it all Esso, wife says a mix is better.

Do you know the dates they were for? Some are easy to figure out but some are quite difficult.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Do you know the dates they were for? Some are easy to figure out but some are quite difficult.

The Gulf in the center is 1953.  I think I might be able to identify at least half of them, maybe more.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TerryB said:

Maps are interesting, Terry.  I am not an expert,

but I have a lot and appreciate them.

I've been told that some people collect Esso maps

exclusively, because the map covers were different

for every state and locality, and changed from year to

year.  What maps to display is simply your choice. 

Will they fade when out in the open continuously?

Sometimes, near the title block is a date or copyright

date, and sometimes in small print.  I was also told that

there were a few main printers of road maps, and that

map fans could tell the date by each manufacturer's

printing code--tiny letters and numbers usually far down

at the bottom.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Without getting too far off topic, I had most of these maps for sale at our little sales area in an antique mall in Palmyra PA for quite some time.  They were in a bundle of 10 maps for $5.00 and no takers.  I am looking at making the display but I’m held up by the fact I would have to cut out some of the actual maps to get them to fit in the frame.  So I’ll see how things go, maybe try reselling them or going with the framing idea.

• Like 1

S&H Green Stamps, you would get them from certain gas stations and redeem them for certain prizes in a catalog. There was a thread here on the site not too long ago on them. 

I did not forget you with the fan, there are a lot of other goodies for me as well, but the weather has been pretty crappy here in the Northeast and I was not able to get together with the guy. He lives in The Bronx so parking can be rather complicated and involves either walking, and or double parking, something I don't want to do in the rain.  

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...