Those were the days

31plymouth

Yes they were Plymouth, I haven't missed a year since 1968. Sometimes we would get back to out hotel with mud up to our knee's. I remember the Calliope playing it's music, the Message Board, before cell phones, tractors towing out campers and watching the planes take off and land across the street. Lot's of mud, but easier on the feet and legs from walking on all blacktop. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Is that Charlie Hipp with the camcorder behind the black van? Muddy Hershey memories are the best, thanks for posting the photos. Bob 

Yep. That's Charlie Hipp.  He'll have a space on the Orange field this year and be showing a 1931 Cadillac v12 roadster on Saturday.

• Like 2

Charlie and his brother were the nicest guys, would come to my house decades ago for the few Franklin car owners gatherings I used to host because it was so long between the annual Franklin Club meet, one year to the next . Frank Tucker of NJ the former AACA President was a Franklin owner as well and would attend to, Frank was another great great guy . Great memories and times best of all great people 40+ years ago. I loved the Paige Larchmont tourer that Charlie would bring to the VMCCA car show at the Lyndhurst mansion in Tarrytown , NY on the Hudson River. Austin Clark would run that show , and I usually got "volunteered" to help. Went there with modern artist/sculptor Richard Lippold in his 4 1/2 litre Bentley tourer for the show one year. Top down and back the whole way from long island in 80+ degree sun. Felt like a french fry that night.....................looked like one too!

Way to many memories - wow I am getting old.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, Walt G said:

I loved the Paige Larchmont tourer that Charlie would bring to the VMCCA car show at the Lyndhurst mansion in Tarrytown , NY on the Hudson River.

I bought the Paige from Charlie Hipp in 1999 and kept it until 2014.   It went to California and the current owner is trying to sell it now.

I could use about fifteen minute of mud each year to reflect back on the good old days........walking through the pudding with my grandparents swearing in French, my mom yelling at my father, and us kids almost pissing ourselves from watching people fall down in the mud. Pulling the wagon in that stuff brought a BIG increase in pay..........we would pair up to get through it all.............I still have my cast iron toys I bought with my Hershey Hauling Money.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

I could use about fifteen minute of mud each year to reflect back on the good old days........walking through the pudding with my grandparents swearing in French, my mom yelling at my father, and us kids almost pissing ourselves from watching people fall down in the mud. Pulling the wagon in that stuff brought a BIG increase in pay..........we would pair up to get through it all.............I still have my cast iron toys I bought with my Hershey Hauling Money.

That is pretty interesting Ed as I also was a parts hauler as a kids. Friday afternoon right thru to Saturday afternoon I would get one load after another non stop, I used to pull a larger home made wagon so I could carry bigger stuff then many others with there little red wagons. I always dreaded the run from the back side of the green field (before the Giant Center) to the guys that parked in the parking spaces on the other side of the Blue Field across the road. Made good money on that run but it was usually 1hr+ in one direction. Dad said he should haul parts as I would make more money doing that then he would vending. Was not uncommon to make $100 on both Friday and Saturday.

Interesting enough one of my last hauls I ever did was to pull a White engine block, It was way to heavy and the wheels all folded in as the wheel mounts bent, but we did get it to his vending spot. The guy and his buddies helped pull the wagon as there was no way I could do it myself. 

In the 80s I also made Hot Rod Magazine pulling that wagon, a guy snapped a pic of me hauling a load one day. One of my dads friend who subscribed to the Mag called up and told my parents about it so we went to the local convenience store a bought it, I still have it somewhere, but have not seen it for 25 yrs.

I still have the wagon and use it behind my lawn mower these days.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, coachJC said:

That is pretty interesting Ed as I also was a parts hauler as a kids. Friday afternoon right thru to Saturday afternoon I would get one load after another non stop, I used to pull a larger home made wagon so I could carry bigger stuff then many others with there little red wagons. I always dreaded the run from the back side of the green field (before the Giant Center) to the guys that parked in the parking spaces on the other side of the Blue Field across the road. Made good money on that run but it was usually 1hr+ in one direction. Dad said he should haul parts as I would make more money doing that then he would vending. Was not uncommon to make $100 on both Friday and Saturday.

Interesting enough one of my last hauls I ever did was to pull a White engine block, It was way to heavy and the wheels all folded in as the wheel mounts bent, but we did get it to his vending spot. The guy and his buddies helped pull the wagon as there was no way I could do it myself. 

In the 80s I also made Hot Rod Magazine pulling that wagon, a guy snapped a pic of me hauling a load one day. One of my dads friend who subscribed to the Mag called up and told my parents about it so we went to the local convenience store a bought it, I still have it somewhere, but have not seen it for 25 yrs.

I still have the wagon and use it behind my lawn mower these days.

Great story... if you could, find that picture and post it!!!

• Like 3

Remember the guys using 20's and 30's empty head lamp buckets,some still on the fender to fender cross bar, to make and scoop out trenches to devert the water.  Some used bumpers for scraping and shoveling waterways for mud run offs.

I recall 40 years ago someone had an unrestored but working wrecker made out of a Packard ,Pierce Arrow ,Cadillac maybe a Locomobile, pulling out stuck vehicles.

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 2