David Cotton Bay City Motors Pleads No Contest to Larceny

Brass is Best

Some things don't seem to jive and may just be reporting errors,  not like we've never seen those before but a 1976 Chevy Chevelle and a 1966 Chevy Nova being worth $238,000 for the pair sounds awful sketchy to me. As the commenter mentioned maybe there was 200 grand in cash in the glove box for the short fall in value.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Some things don't seem to jive and may just be reporting errors,  not like we've never seen those before but a 1976 Chevy Chevelle and a 1966 Chevy Nova being worth $238,000 for the pair sounds awful sketchy to me. As the commenter mentioned maybe there was 200 grand in cash in the glove box for the short fall in value.  

Don't know about those two cars but I did notice other cars with big price tags when I would visit now and then. I'd be curious to know how many cars he actually sold while in business. 

There was a guy in the Trans Am world that was pretty slimy as well. He bilked a lot of people out of a lot of money. He was a dealer but operated as a 'museum'. I think his name was Rick something. Just recently I believe he had a change of address to the big hotel with barred windows. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2019/12/bay-city-motor-co-owner-faces-felony-charge-in-sale-of-classic-1963-jaguar.html

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2020/01/classic-car-dealer-in-bay-city-facing-criminal-charge-was-ordered-to-pay-257k-in-civil-suit.html

This article correctly identifies the car as a 1966 Nova and 1967 Chevelle: https://www.abc12.com/2020/08/25/bay-city-classic-car-dealer-accused-of-larceny-alleged-victims-want-justice/

This kind of crap only makes my life harder. I sort-of knew David Cotton and I can't imagine why he would do this stuff other than he had some other problems in the background--he probably over-extended himself buying cars, which happens frequently in this business. You buy what you want rather than what you can sell. It's very hard to get it right every time.

Money laundering maybe? It could be a good way to legitimize cash and is shady enough to make jail time far more appealing than cement shoes as mentioned above…

And Matt, you’ve had a good reputation and image projected from anything I’ve ever heard so hopefully that kind of press within your profession will not be an issue for you and your business dealings.

• Like 1

Matt, what Mark states is what we all feel about you, sure selling cars is your business but you like all the rest of us love the cars in your own collection and make it a family affair as well not just a personal "my hobby" focus. You are going through what many of us have with your Lincoln and we all can relate to the "I can't believe I am doing this" situation!  You are one of the good guys and as you say people who are in the same business and don't follow a good path just make it even harder for those who do like you.

Walt

• Like 4

This dishonest dealer reportedly stole money

from customers more than once.  Note that he

pleaded "no contest" (nolo contendere)--which

means that he didn't even have enough character

to admit he did wrong, and plead guilty.

Without admitted remorse for wrongdoing--followed

by proof of his remorse by a record of honesty--will

he continue to do wrong?

"Love righteousness, and hate iniquity."

I had one run in with David Cotton. He tried to get me to send a car to his shop on an "if". He wanted the car and the title. He played the "we are all in this together" card. He told me he had multi millionaire clients that wanted all my cars but only trusted him. He wanted me to break every common sense rule of selling a car. Needless to say I did not do it. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

He told me he had multi millionaire clients that wanted all my cars but only trusted him. 

If he were an honest man, he might have said,

"Andy, one of my good customers loves the green

Cadillac you have in inventory.  I'll send him your way

and assure him you're good and trustworthy.  All I ask

is my usual finder's fee if you make the sale.  Good luck!"

• Like 5