What If They Made a Tire But No Correct Tube For It???

leomara

I'm vexed. In a previous post I tried to get some feedback on tube quality by brand prior to making a purchase.  Now I come to find no one manufactures a tube to fit my tire size.  Yes, it's true, I'm working on a 1928 Chrysler which takes an 18 inch tube for a 650X18 tire.  All the tubes currently being made compatible for that size have an offset stem and I need a centered stem.  In my previous post there were suggestions about using a smaller size tube but not a larger one.  A B18/19 tube was suggested but it comes listed only to a 550 width.  A Model A Ford tube was also suggested but it is not for an 18 inch tire, it is for a 19 inch tire.  Can anyone provide me with a proven solution to this problem?

I have the same issue getting tubes for my 1933 Plymouth (525-550x17 tires with a centered stem hole in the wheel). I had a tube that I thought would work fail while on the road while the car was pretty fully loaded. That unsettled me enough that I am extremely cautious now about how far from home or how fast I drive the car. It would be nice to get some tubes I can have confidence in.

I am  following your thread. I am trying to buy 600/650 tubes and lining for my 1928 D B Senior. The order was placed 6 months ago. I got the tyres but the tubes and flaps are on back order or are having an issue in shipping from overseas. If it comes down to choice of oversize or under size I think one is as bad as the other. The oversize might just be a little better if not too oversize.

Cheers  

1 hour ago, leomara said:

I need a centered stem.  In my previous post there were suggestions about using a smaller size tube but not a larger one.  A B18/19 tube was suggested but it comes listed only to a 550 width.?

That tube will work fine in your tire, it will expand without stress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

That tube will work fine in your tire, it will expand without stress.

So what is the rule of thumb about how much an undersized tube can “expand without stress”? How much for radius? How much for cross section? How much for a combination of both?

They will stretch a mile before they will tear an inch. When I was a kid we would take inner tubes that were supposed to be 5 or 6 inches in diameter and inflate them until they were a foot in diameter and take them swimming. These were not new tubes either, but old discarded ones with several patches. Never saw one blow.

An oversize tube can get a wrinkle in it and this will chafe inside the tire and eventually blow. Reason you can use a smaller tube but not a larger, and once a smaller tube is stretched out you can't use it in a small tire.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, huptoy said:

Try a better motor cycle shop.  If they don’t have one in stock, try ordering from them.  You probably will better success at a shop that carries multiple brands.

It was a heavy duty motorcycle tube very closely sized to my 525x17 tires that failed on me. I had tried them because motorcycle wheels have a centered valve stem and I noticed that some of the larger motorcycles had wheels/tires that were similar in size to those on my car.

10 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

They will stretch a mile before they will tear an inch. When I was a kid we would take inner tubes that were supposed to be 5 or 6 inches in diameter and inflate them until they were a foot in diameter and take them swimming. These were not new tubes either, but old discarded ones with several patches. Never saw one blow.

An oversize tube can get a wrinkle in it and this will chafe inside the tire and eventually blow. Reason you can use a smaller tube but not a larger, and once a smaller tube is stretched out you can't use it in a small tire.

So a tube with “recommended tire fitment is for a 400/425-17/18 tire” can be safely used in a 550-525x17 tire? I think that is what I have in the tires now but haven’t felt comfortable with them as the official size was off for my application.

I've spent hours looking on line and the only tube I've found which meets the centered valve stem requirement is from Universal tire (B-18/19 Bias Tube Rubber Stem  SKU 86400, 475/550-18/19 Bias Tube), not quite the right size but from what has been discussed it should do.  If anyone else has found something else we all would appreciate your input.  Availability?  Another problem.....

Coker also has a tube with a centered stem, 400/450-18/19 Coker 86276, however it may be too small.

Edited by leomara
More info (see edit history)

Yes, look above and you will see the only tube they have for my tire is with an offset stem.  When I asked for a workaround I got this answer which is hardly anything I would even want to try........

Hello Leo,

We can offer an offset valve in this size that has a nut to hold the valve in place.

This would mean the tube is slightly twisted (about 22 degrees.)

We do this sometimes when fitting here, usually on Bugatti's that have a centre hole.

Kind Regards

Lee

Would you consider patching where the existing offset stem is, and then vulcanizing on a new center stem?   Back in the day, I would have gone to Universal for work like that, or just tried one of the local truck tire shops.  Doesn’t hurt to ask.

• 1 month later...

I was able to obtain 5 Hartford 475/500/550-18/19 tubes with a center rubber stem in England from Vintagetyres.com.  I consider myself very fortunate because there are none to be found here and no definitive answer on when they will be.

I can buy center stem 18" ultra heavy duty cross motorcycle tube 4mm thick for my 1929 Chrysler model 65.Only problem just the hole on the rim is much bigger than the stem, i made a rubber piece to protect the inner tube from dust or water.Tube manufacturer Mitas, czech republik.

https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/tubes-and-mousse/tubes

Edited by aron_budapest (see edit history)