Transmission lines

Bckeye

https://www.inlinetube.com/collections/all/?year=1964&make=buick&model=riviera#?f=Trans Cooler Lines|

Over on the left under categories, scroll down until you get to transmission cooling lines, click on it and you should see two choices for two tubes in each choice - stainless and steel.  The pictures are not correct, but the lines are.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

an inexpensive tube bender is a good tool to have in the garage?

Absolutely - I have a couple of them since here in the rust-belt I regularly find myself under a vehicle repairing brake, fuel or transmission cooler lines.  I also have a double-flare tool I bought at NAPA 20 years ago.  It should be a simple task to find the right tubing at an auto parts store and use the bender and flaring tool to replicate the old transmission lines.  If the radiator end of a line is too boogered-up or missing to complete the job, just leave extra tubing and make the final bends, cut and flare once the engine and radiator are in-place.  Re-use the old fittings if they're in good shape, or purchase new ones.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

3 hours ago, telriv said:

Inline Tube doesn't have/carry them.

Yes they do, I would not have made this up. Their site is under construction.  Go to their website and type in these part numbers into the search link:  BVT6503 for the steel lines, or SBVT6503 for the stainless lines.  I tried the site again this morning and got frustrated; one time it showed up, then I tried to copy and paste a different link.  Lost the connection and went back and tried again - nothing.  I called and talked to Phil and he gave me the part numbers.  I typed them in the search link and they came up.  

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, you think an inexpensive tube bender is a good tool to have in the garage? I was wondering.

Turbinator

If you're going to purchase one, spend a little extra and get a good one.  I've screwed up too many tubes trying to use cheap one.  They'll bend the tube okay but they have a tendency to kink the tube.

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If you're going to purchase one, spend a little extra and get a good one.  I've screwed up too many tubes trying to use cheap one.  They'll bend the tube okay but they have a tendency to kink the tube.

I have expensive and inexpensive benders and I most frequently use the simpler inexpensive type....they are easier for me to approximate tube length between bends and less bulky physically. There are situations where the expensive bender pays dividends but in my opinion when bending tubing experience is more important than an upscale tube bender....practice makes perfect applies here.

Tom M.

• Like 1

Thank you for you help Ed.  The part number pulled up the lines.  I just want to make sure as you stated the pictures are incorrect.  The lines from my 63 feed into the bottom of the radiator.  Do these lines do the same?  I just want to make sure they are not going into the side.

Thanks

Just now, Bckeye said:

Thank you for you help Ed.  The part number pulled up the lines.  I just want to make sure as you stated the pictures are incorrect.  The lines from my 63 feed into the bottom of the radiator.  Do these lines do the same?  I just want to make sure they are not going into the side.

Thanks

Yes, the pictures are generic.  I ordered a set of these about a year ago and they are for the ST400 transmission and they do go into the the tank on the bottom of the radiator.  You might call Inline Tube and confirm that the pictures they're posting are generic if you have any doubts.  Chances are whomever you talk to will be an order taker and have no visual knowledge of the actual product, but it might put your mind at ease.

Ed

• Like 1

The pre bend lines from inline where the correct fit on my 63, but I was not able to assemble them into the car with engine and radiator assembled and my car sitting on jack stands. This is maybe easy with the engine out or liftet, or you have to dissassembly some other parts to get access and to make final adjustments to the bendings. I ended up in cutting the lines in two pieces and added short hydraulic tubes to Get it into the car. I can’t get a flaring tool and fittings in that tube size in the metric world here in Germany. 

When I pulled the engine in my '64 I made a "note to self" -  drop the transmission lines in place before dropping the engine in place.  I would think that you could lift the engine on the right side enough to remove the motor mount and slip the transmission lines in while the motor mount is out.

• Like 1