Please help - 58' Chevy Apache 3100

Crooker69

I bought a 58' Chevy Apache 3100 from my grandpa. I really want to fix it up and make it a everyday driver so if like to do anything I need to it to make it an everyday driver. Here's where I need help, I don't know what all I should do to get it there. I've never done this type of thing before and could use help from someone that knows what they are doing. I'll have a ton of questions so you'll have to be patient with me. The truck is in very good shape for the most part and I did but another truck that someone put a lot of body work into. Please help. 

What is the condition of the running gear? If it is currently running and driving, dial it in and start making short runs to gain confidence in the truck. If it's not running, figure out where the problem is and work from there. Get it running and driving and stopping.

DO NOT pull the truck down to the very last nut and bolt with the expectation of doing a full restoration just yet. That is the biggest way to lose interest.

• Like 2

It is great that you have your grandpa's truck! A 58 Chevy can be a great driver just like it was built so go easy into making changes until you are sure it is something you want to do. I think the first step would be to get the owners and shop manual. Here is a good source of parts and info https://store.fillingstation.com/catalog.htm.

a griffin posted good info while I was typing.

Some general info on if it is running and what you see as problems would help get you more info.

Dave

• Like 1

Step side, fleetside, long bed or short bed? V8 or inline six? Manual or automatic transmission? Really beat like so many are or nice original, or modified along the way? Half ton or three-quarter ton?

Do want it back to nice like when it was new, or maybe how granddad used it? Or do you want it as a canvass to create your own thing?

All of these things make a big difference. And as mentioned, numerous pictures would help a lot.

My dad had and drove a 1959 half ton fleetside long bed inline six for almost thirty years! It was a good truck, and served him well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, a griffin said:

What is the condition of the running gear? If it is currently running and driving, dial it in and start making short runs to gain confidence in the truck. If it's not running, figure out where the problem is and work from there. Get it running and driving and stopping.

DO NOT pull the truck down to the very last nut and bolt with the expectation of doing a full restoration just yet. That is the biggest way to lose interest.

Thanks that's what I was going to do but I'm glad you mentioned that. 

39 minutes ago, a griffin said:

My grandpa told me that he drove it to where I picked it up at but is was sitting for about 15 years

20 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Step side, fleetside, long bed or short bed? V8 or inline six? Manual or automatic transmission? Really beat like so many are or nice original, or modified along the way? Half ton or three-quarter ton?

Do want it back to nice like when it was new, or maybe how granddad used it? Or do you want it as a canvass to create your own thing?

All of these things make a big difference. And as mentioned, numerous pictures would help a lot.

My dad had and drove a 1959 half ton fleetside long bed inline six for almost thirty years! It was a good truck, and served him well.

Inline 6

IMG_20200217_163501007_HDR.jpg

23 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

IMG_20200217_163448424_HDR.jpg

I had a '59 when I was a kid (in 1979.) I loved it. Had a granny low, as well as a 283 (that was apparently out of a '61 Impala.) It had similar rust on the front fenders that I "fixed" with fiberglass mesh and bondo. Then I found a local body shop who had replacement rear corner cab panels, so they welded those in, and that repair lasted much longer than my fender bondo fix for some reason😄. In my view, old pickups are more straightforward to work on than cars of the same era, but I never got very far with mine, though it was a reliable daily driver all the time I owned it.  Also, as working vehicles, refurbished pickups sometimes aren't held to the same standards of polish and perfection that refurbished old cars are, which can make the process a little easier for the budget minded. Try to set aside enough money to have serious rust fixed the right way, though, whether by yourself or professionals. Best of luck on your Apache. Coolest trucks ever.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

The best thing to do is to get some old farts over to look at it. There is many guys who know these truck inside and out. Many of the younger crowd don't understand carburetors.

The good thing is every part is available for this truck. 

• Thanks 1

It looks like grandpa got his moneys worth out of the truck before he parked it. So the question is this, why did he park it? 

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The best thing to do is to get some old farts over to look at it

To understand the meaning of the word FART - here on long island there was a club of them some decades ago and it was Friend's of Ancient Road Transportation.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Walt G said:

To understand the meaning of the word FART - here on long island there was a club of them some decades ago and it was Friend's of Ancient Road Transportation.

They are still going strong........and actively touring. 

Do you belong to the AACA? If not, then join, find you nearest chapter and attend a meeting, bringing some photos of your truck. You should be able to get a couple guys interested enough to come over and look at it. That's how you would get your best advice. They will want to know if the engine turns, if the cylinders have compression, if the block is cracked, radiator clogged, etc. Find literature on the truck; there is a lot online. Also, check out the Chevrolet clubs. There are several of them. Finally, try to get to Hershey this Fall. You will meet people who share your interest there.

Phil

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Please help - 58' Chevy Apache 3100
  • 6 months later...

I build a few through the years

I am building one right now from leftover parts

the previous owner toke it apart and the shed that hold all the sheet metal burned down to the ground

so I bought the leftover chassis and cab an started on it with what I got

Toke me around  6 months to make it driveable

this winter I am going to finish it

sealed the skin with owatrol and thats how it's going to stay

alway's a lot of fun with those truck and there easy to tinker on

good luck with your build

brandschade 1.jpg

brandschade 2.jpg