1965 Deluxe White Interior

TKRIV

Hi All, I have a friend who has a 1965 Riv with deluxe white interior. This color interior

was not available until midway through the model year and therefore it is somewhat rare.

The console is best described as a charcoal/gray color (which looks original) but I have seen photos with black console.

Can someone please confirm which color is factory correct.

Tom Kunek

I was confident that the charcoal/grey color was factory as it looks very original on my friends Riv.

If it was repainted it would have been done a long time ago.

But I have to admit that the black console would be a more logical color combination.

Does anybody know in which month in 1965 the white deluxe trim was offered?

Riv.jpg

• Like 1

My 63 Riviera is black with white leather seats. The door panels, headliner, and headliner moldings are white, but everything else is black - carpets, dash panel, and console.  Whether that's because of the black exterior or something else, I don't know.  Maybe others with white seats and different exterior colors can chime in.  I would think that the console should be pretty close to the color of the carpeting.  What color is the console under the carpeted sides? Might be easy enough to expose some color by pulling some carpet back. 

HI ED (RIV NUT) I JUST MADE MY FIRST POST ABOUT A HALF HOUR AGO.  IT HAS TO DO WITH A FRAME SWAP ON A 53 BUICK TO AN S10.  I SAW YOU COMMENTED TWICE ON IT 5 YEARS AGO.  IF YOU CAN LOOK AT MY INITIAL POST OF TODAY MAY 10, 2021 I WILL APPRECIATE IT AND  SEE WHAT OR HOW YOU CAN HELP ME ON THIS.  THANKS AND GOD BLESS.

Twelve interior selections could be had in 1965.

Rarest of all was White Deluxe with only 499 installed.

I really like the color combination of White/Black/Red as per photo.

Interior grabs your attention in a flash.

23 hours ago, jframe said:

Wasn't the carpet more of a charcoal gray when the white interior was installed? Seems like I read that somewhere in the past.

I have pics somewhere of a very original 65 i owned white Standard interior.

Console dash and rug was a charcoal...Again, Standard white interior

• Like 1

So could be Black or Charcoal ! 

Me thinking more toward Charcoal.

I am sure there must be someone out there who would know for sure. 

If there is no definitive conclusion on the color of the lower dash & console how

would this matter be resolved at a show with judging?

On 5/11/2021 at 2:10 PM, telriv said:

I have a '65 Riv. GS, parts car, that has a deluxe white vinyl interior that has a blue console, black rugs & white headliner, medium metallic blue exterior. It all appears to be factory original.

Tom T.

Wow. What a beautiful combo. Is it rusty beyond repair?

As far as I'm concerned, YES 

Has original engine & BB trans.  Rear has been swapped & NOT posi.   MANY good parts left & it's been in inside storage. 2x4 missing. Have 1x4 on it now. Will start & run.            I drove it from my shop to my storage garage about 15 miles away. Has been inside ever since.

Tom T.

Yes, it is a shame it wasn't as it IS a stricking color combo. I would not sell it to anyone for fear it will be buttered up by someone looking to make a fast buck & some non aware sucker will buy it.   

So it is ONLY a parts car. Like I said MANY good parts are present & salveghable.

Tom T.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, 

I found this in my 65 Color and Trim book.  Mind you that this book came out at the beginning of the 65 model year and does not show the mid-year deluxe white interior. This book show only a standard white interior. But whoever it was that remembered gray (charcoal) carpet in a 65 with white interior, this will confirms that you are not losing your marbles.  Code 604 white. The chart at the bottom tells you the colors for the dash, steering wheel, carpet, pedals, and headlining.  Custom white interior is code 624 but this book does not show it but I think that there is enough evidence that the custom white interior had black carpet, dash, etc.IMG_20210526_111441083.jpg.08b3cc01743c5651e19493bcc3c1d5dc.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Gents, 

I found this in my 65 Color and Trim book.  Mind you that this book came out at the beginning of the 65 model year and does not show the mid-year deluxe white interior. This book show only a standard white interior. But whoever it was that remembered gray (charcoal) carpet in a 65 with white interior, this will confirms that you are not losing your marbles.  Code 604 white. The chart at the bottom tells you the colors for the dash, steering wheel, carpet, pedals, and headlining.  Custom white interior is code 624 but this book does not show it but I think that there is enough evidence that the custom white interior had black carpet, dash, etc.IMG_20210526_111441083.jpg.08b3cc01743c5651e19493bcc3c1d5dc.jpg

That would be me with the marbles, lol

• Haha 1

Hi Ed, I know this is a first world problem but my friend really wants to restore his Riv in the correct color combination.

His console is gray and sure looks original. I know of one other which is the same.

Then there are known black consoles.

I can't see how you come to the conclusion of black carpet/console in the custom interior. 

Maybe no definitive answer backed by factory documentation.

Please help me join the dots!

I’m basing my conclusion of the pictures that I’ve found of 65 Riviera’s with Custom white trim, code 624.  The color book that I have does not list white as an option for Custom interior because it was a mid-year addition to the colors from which you could chose.  What is the trim code on the Fisher data plate on your friends car?  I’m not saying his is incorrect. I’m saying that in the beginning of the 1965 Riviera production that white vinyl was a standard trim, code 604, and it came with gray steering wheel, carpet, and upper instrument panel.  In looking through pictures I’ve taken at various ROA meets, my first was in 1989, I’ve yet to see a 65 with white standard trim. And the pictures that I have seen of 65 Riviera’s with white Custom trim, code 624, I’ve only seen black carpets, etc.  I think it’s up to your friend to find some Buick literature that substantiates his claim.  Post a picture of the data plate of your friends car.

TR Code 624

I have checked the color again and it sure does look like a very dark gray.

I am 99% sure that it looks like original paint.

Carpet is black but not original. 

If you went to ROA 1994 Denver meet you would have seen this 65GS.

Yes Ed, your memory is that good I am sure you will remember!

Colin Grubb (ex ROA accountant) was the owner at the time and that's the way he bought it from the guy who restored it.

Photo: Close to camera at Riviera Lane.

Dot joining continues...

BC Riv.jpg

rivphoto.jpg

• Like 1

It was at that 1994 ROA meet that I first saw Roy Wager and his triple white Boattail.

Yes you love it or hate it. Lots of white for sure.

Best all original Boattail I have ever seen. I found it stunning.

Roy is no longer with us but I wonder what happened to his Boattail

Following feedback from owners with custom deluxe white interiors who tell me that their console is Black and they have seen

nothing else but Black.

The gray finish could be due to original black paint which has faded. 

This particular 65GS has spent most of its life in South Texas which could explain it.

But it is a mystery how Tom T. has a 65GS parts car, that has a deluxe white vinyl interior that has a blue console, black rugs & white headliner.

It all appears to be factory original.

Thank You Ed and all the others that have provided comments.

Tom K