without key....power windows, power bench is on

cquisuila

Hello

can you help me ?

I don't need key in ignition lock to have efficient power windows, power BENCH;;;

i just to connect the battery and it is efficient !

where is the problem please ?

IT IS  convenient but not very safe😁

That's how my 65 Buick is.

I can also remove the key from the ignition switch easily after the car is running.

Bill

3 hours ago, cquisuila said:

Hello

can you help me ?

I don't need key in ignition lock to have efficient power windows, power BENCH;;;

i just to connect the battery and it is efficient !

where is the problem please ?

IT IS  convenient but not very safe😁

That is correct for this year vehicle.

You would have to do some major rewiring to get the power feed to these things go on and off with the key.  I do not recommend it.  But if you insist, I can help you find the wires that you need to reroute and where you need to put the relay.

3 hours ago, wmsue said:

That's how my 65 Buick is.

I can also remove the key from the ignition switch easily after the car is running.

Bill

On the '63 Riviera, if you do not turn the key to the "Lock" position, you don't need a key to start and drive the car!

You can remove the key and leave the ignition switch in the "Off" position, from which you can turn the switch with your fingers to "On" and then over to "Start".  Very convenient. And no one today knows that you can do this, so leaving the car like that is not a big risk.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I first bought my Buick, I was a junior in high school.

We use to drive around without the keys, start the car by pretending to fool around with the wires under the dash and tell the other riders in the the car 'that we just picked up the car at the mall to drive it around that night'.

At least that's a story I can post on the internet.

Bill

so i don't understand the ignition switch and the different position accessory, on...;)

> IT is written in the owner's manual (1967 for example) that the power windows cannot be operated unless the ignition switch is ON;;;;

and i can operate the windows without ignition switch...power bench...

AND what is the purpose of accessory position ? radio FOR USING ?

There is a changement in 1967 i think...

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

2 hours ago, cquisuila said:

so i don't understand the ignition switch and the different position accessory, on...;)

> IT is written in the owner's manual (1967 for example) that the power windows cannot be operated unless the ignition switch is ON;;;;

and i can operate the windows without ignition switch...power bench...

AND what is the purpose of accessory position ? radio FOR USING ?

There is a changement in 1967 i think...

OK, when I answered I thought you had a 1963-65 Riviera. I don't know about 1967.

The Accessory position is to provide power to accessories, like the radio, without the engine running.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Abakumss said:

Hello there! I see that you are having trouble with your power windows and bench. It sounds like you have a battery-powered system, which is definitely convenient but can also be risky without proper safety measures.

my power windows and electric bench are good

If your seat and windows are wired to a hot - BAT- battery source, your seat and windows will work without the key. If your seat and windows are wired to an - IGN - ignition source, your seat and windows will only work when the key is on.  My 1st generation cars ( 63, 64, and 65 Gran Sport) have the circuit breaker wired to a BAT (battery) source.  How yours work depends on how the factory designed it in the first place.

• Like 2

Starting for the 1967 model year, GM changed the wiring on their cars so you needed to insert the ignition key and turn to ON to operate the power windows. 

This was likely done to deter theft as previously it wouldn't be too hard for a thief to use a wire coat hanger to push down on a power window switch to open the window and get inside the car.

1969 saw the introduction of the steering column ignition interlock - another anti-theft measure.

8 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Starting for the 1967 model year, GM changed the wiring on their cars so you needed to insert the ignition key and turn to ON to operate the power windows. 

This was likely done to deter theft as previously it wouldn't be too hard for a thief to use a wire coat hanger to push down on a power window switch to open the window and get inside the car.

1969 saw the introduction of the steering column ignition interlock - another anti-theft measure.

Alex, your suggestion that Buick started to utilize a "key switched" mode for the PW and PSeats in '67 due to auto theft is a good one as GM started to pay more attention in '67 via more key combinations...there was also a big push re safety.

Having stated the above, my '62 Oldsmobile has a PW and PSeat key switched relay to power those accessories...so who knows? At least Olds put the relay in an easy to service location in the driver's side kick panel. My understanding is Buick buried the relay in the dash.

Tom

Why did this thread get restarted a YEAR later?

And the post that kicked it off again is utter nonsense.  It sounds like something that Clippy would say in MS Word. (Do you remember Clippy?). From someone who has now made 2 posts!

I think we need some "new member posting rules". This smells fishy to me.

• Like 1

Ray, good day.

cquisulia in France was responding to a post from a new member ‘Abakumss’ that I think Jim was referring to that now appears to be deleted…

——

On 4/10/2023 at 4:32 PM,  Abakumsssaid:

Hello there! I see that you are having trouble with your power windows and bench. It sounds like you have a battery-powered system, which is definitely convenient but can also be risky without proper safety measures.

——

This ^ is/was the message cquisulia responded to.

in terms of old threads being resurrected, especially by new members it can be a good thing, kinda shows they are searching the archives for information and/or thought their knowledge could be of help on a specific topic. It did seem odd to me at first, but the internet still seems odd to me too so what do I know…

I thought some of the recent subsequent replies were on topic…

Later,

EDIT: For what it's worth, and I certainly don't mean to insult anyone for how they compose their messages, but after re-reading the "resurrecting post" in question (or at least the clip noted above^) it almost does read like a response someone may have got using the new technology ChatGTP... It kind of reiterates your problem, presents an understanding but really doesn't offer much else in closing solution. Again, I'm just wearing my conspiracy theorist hat right now, and if that was in fact penned by a real human, please take it as a small compliment as it was well written.... (sort of..) The world is getting odder by the day, and/or I'm just getting older by the day...)

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)

3 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

Jim it’s the same guy you gave advice on the engine stalling after one muffler was replaced. He is in France if I remember correctly and English isn’t his first language. I think he just trying to part of the gang and didn’t realize the post was old. 

Ray

Ray-

The post I was referring to has been deleted.  It read like it was written by a robot.  Sounded fishy.

I know the gentleman that asked about the muffler quite well.  We exchange notes often.  I hope to visit him south of Bordeaux some day and see his Riviera.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Last time I interacted with AI was the day I asked WebChatGPT to create a classified ad for two old garden hoes I thought someone might want. WebChat, grammar check, and spell check ain't been around since.

People thought Spock had to resort to PI to attack a computer, but that was Leonard reading a script. I do this stuff without writers.

• Like 1