Ok Canadians??

65VerdeGS

Curious to know how many of you live north of the 49th parallel?

I see we have several Australian members, so wonder how many Canadian Riviera owners frequent this forum?

I'm in Vancouver BC, own a '65, and rarely, very rarely see another 1st or 2nd Gen Riviera in my area.

Share a little about yourself and your car, where you live, in this great country to the north of Flint, Michigan, birthplace of our Riviera automobiles!

• Like 1

Alex,

On the ROA website, there is always a current roster. Copy and paste it to a spread sheet, then use one of the columns to preform a sort. When I was coordinator for the Kansas Misouri region I would sort by zip codes 64xxx and 66xxx would give me bot states.  I'm not familiar with your postal system, but I'm betting there's something you can use.

• Like 1

I peek at that XLS occasionally just to see where we're at for Member number. I've downloaded a few for quick reference and to sort if I wanted. Just scrolling down, I could pick-out Canadian Members as I go.

As for rarely seeing a Riviera, they come out of hiding when an owner wants to sell. I've noticed several 1st Gens for sale. In April 2016 I counted Ten 1st Gen Rivieras for sale on Kijiji in Alberta alone! One of those listings was a '64 w/Super Wildcat Engine. Because of it's low price, a local flipper purchased it and who knows where it is now. Another severely rusted '64 was parted, mostly for it's KX Super Wildcat engine.

Another reason for rarely spotting one is that a Riviera could be stuck in project state. And we know how long that takes!

I have a 71 in Gibsons, not far from the big smoke of Vancouver.  There is also a 65 here.  I had a 64 but sold it to someone who lives in Summerland.  There used to be a modified 64 GS here on the coast but he moved to Hope.  None of the owners I mentioned are ROA members despite my recommendations to become one.  The local car club, the Coasters put on an annual car show called Sleepy Hollow which you may have heard of.  Because of the pandemic there was not a show last year and this year looks doubtful as well.  Enjoy your Riv!

I'm in Vancouver as well, and while I don't have a Riviera and am not a member of the ROA, I thought I'd chime in just to connect with local Buick guys!

I regularly see a black 65 Riv running around near me, but it is pretty rusty and looks almost like a daily driver.  I've tried to talk to that owner, but I never see him stopped!  There is also a 71 GS Riviera that is always parked on 16th Avenue between Main and Cambie and I've seen and talked to the owner of a 69 Riviera who also lived downtown.  They are around.   I don't think I've seen your Riviera either Alex and I know I would remember it!  

Drummerboy:  I've been up to the sunshine coast frequently, and even participated in the Sleepy Hollow Rod Run with the Electra a few times, but can't say I recall seeing your cars.  I'll have to watch more carefully!

Alex,

I'm still here in Saskatchewan! Just getting ready to bring my 65 Gran Sport out of hibernation. We had an early spring, but it is still fairly cool. Looking forward to some nice long cruises, now that I have a working speedometer.

Peter Hoemsen

ROA #6910

IMG_0681.jpg

• Like 8

Good day.

Based in Edmonton with a '64 that I've owned since 1980. Original Edmonton car sold at Jenner Motors. Drove it as a daily summer driver for a number of years, then it was stored inside for 10-12 years until "The Boy" turned 16 and we got 'er fired up and rolling again. For all intent and purpose it's an original decent 20-footer, not without it's issues mind you,  but basically still pretty sound. There are few other Riv's around town, but few and far between. Over the years at one of the largest car shows in Western Canada (Rock'n August),  I've only ever seen one other first gen' - a Burgundy '63.

Although I have been out on the links a couple times already this year, the Riv has yet to see the light of day. My insurance was always a six month policy that I would put PL/PD on it on May 23, which by then most of the street cleaning of the sand is done and potholes are starting to be filled in. That's always been my get 'er out date +/-. Looking forward to getting it out soon...

Later,

2039B00A-0E7F-4946-A0E0-11898BDF91B6.jpeg.5bd1a01319326b183fc94bdb913de393.jpeg

• Like 4

Good day.

Maybe a little OT, but for those non-Canadian's in the crowd, so you get to know us a bit better... (not that I agree with all of these, but...

You Might Be Canadian...

If Your municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.

You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.

You bring a portable TV on a camping trip so that you don't miss Hockey Night.

You can repeat the entire Molson's Canadian 'The Rant'.

You know all the words to "If I had a million dollars" by The Barenaked Ladies, including the inter-stanza banter between Steven and Ed.

You dismiss all beers under 6% as "for children and the elderly."

You remember when Alanis Morrissette was "Too Hot To Hold".

You watch MuchMusic constantly, in the hopes of occasional fleeting glimpses of The Tragically Hip.

You can sing "O' Canada" in French and actually know what the words mean.

You think Peter Mansbridge is sexy.

You killed your best friend for Another Roadside Attraction tickets.

You think Great Big Sea isn't Atlantic-centric enough.

You know the names of all the guys in Sloan.

You know more than 3 guys named Gordon.

You are excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada

You love your fries with poutine

You actually watch The Gemini Awards, The Genie Awards, and The Juno Awards.

You have twins named Wayne and Gretzky (alternately Gordie and Howe).

You substitute beer for water when cooking.

You know what "Canuba" is. You think it's pretty damn funny.

You know Casey and Finnegan are NOT a Celtic rock band or imported beer.

You know who Foster Hewitt is.

You pity people who haven't tasted a "beavertail".

You know that the Canadian Alliance is just the Reform Party with better hair.

You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.

You and your friends get together to play "Millie Bornes"

You cried when you heard that "Mr Dress Up" died recently.

You brag to Americans: Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & more, are Canadians.

You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed"

You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan"

You have worn shorts and a parka at the same time

You perk up when you hear the theme song from "Hockey Night in Canada."

You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade.

You know that Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores before Christmas.

You owe more money on your snowmobile than on your car.

You think the start of deer season is a national holiday.

You know which leaves make for good toilet paper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mike, I'm impressed how your '64 is a local car. Rust and cracked windshields are a fact of life up here.

I too acquired my '63 in 1980 (or was it '79?) I traded a '67 Cutlass convertible for it.

Mine was stuck in my garage for close to 30 years!

The 'Great Northwest Cruise Calendar' is just out. Not sure how many of these events are actually going to happen with the current situation. For tose on the Sunshine Coast, the Sleepy Hollow Rod run is August 6/7 at Sechelt BC this year. http://www.cruisecalendar.ca/

On 5/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, dmfconsult said:

Drummerboy:  I've been up to the sunshine coast frequently, and even participated in the Sleepy Hollow Rod Run with the Electra a few times, but can't say I recall seeing your cars.  I'll have to watch more carefully!

Here it is waiting in line at Sleepy Hollow. (Hacket Park).

IMG_0608.JPG

• Like 1

While these Riv's are not mine my friend has gone through them both.

We are in the most southerly part of Canada, Windsor, Ontario.

Point Pelee National Park is that actual place being along the same line as the northern boarder of California. 

1ST car: All numbers matching other than the tires and rims (which he has).

318991265_IMG_2726-Copy.JPG.5daa350f86733e3820fb53c2f27f155b.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG.f8dd4eab4db597502ec92c1d19e8fe79.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG.5d2ff4eb4757b4264a9d1499d3af8c52.JPG

And his other one.

IMG_5284.JPG.1c069d7537d7f44b73435f9479de9739.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, drummerboy said:

I have a 71 in Gibsons, not far from the big smoke of Vancouver.  There is also a 65 here.  I had a 64 but sold it to someone who lives in Summerland.  There used to be a modified 64 GS here on the coast but he moved to Hope.  None of the owners I mentioned are ROA members despite my recommendations to become one.  The local car club, the Coasters put on an annual car show called Sleepy Hollow which you may have heard of.  Because of the pandemic there was not a show last year and this year looks doubtful as well.  Enjoy your Riv!

Hi Drummerboy,

Yes, I've often seen the white' '71 parked on 16th Ave across from Mt. Pleasant Park.  It looks like it gets driven regularly, as it has current insurance tags, but I've not met the owner.

I've yet to take in the Sleepy Hollow event - usually we're back in Germany during August.  But this year we may be here, so will bookmark the dates in case the event goes ahead this year!

On 5/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, dmfconsult said:

I'm in Vancouver as well, and while I don't have a Riviera and am not a member of the ROA, I thought I'd chime in just to connect with local Buick guys!

I regularly see a black 65 Riv running around near me, but it is pretty rusty and looks almost like a daily driver.  I've tried to talk to that owner, but I never see him stopped!  There is also a 71 GS Riviera that is always parked on 16th Avenue between Main and Cambie and I've seen and talked to the owner of a 69 Riviera who also lived downtown.  They are around.   I don't think I've seen your Riviera either Alex and I know I would remember it!  

Sorry Drummerboxy -  my last post was meant for Doug, who also lives in Vancouver.  

On 5/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, phoemsen said:

Alex,

I'm still here in Saskatchewan! Just getting ready to bring my 65 Gran Sport out of hibernation. We had an early spring, but it is still fairly cool. Looking forward to some nice long cruises, now that I have a working speedometer.

Peter Hoemsen

ROA #6910

IMG_0681.jpg

Hi Peter,

Gorgeous Riviera you have there!  Care to share the story behind your car?   Did you restore it?  What colour is the interior?  Options?  Provenance?

27 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Nice '71 Ed.  Or is she a '72? 

Will you restore it, or enjoy it as-is?

Hi. It's a 71.  It needs more than I can get done, so I sold it to a body shop owner. I'm chasing a 1963 Riv right now that's been parked for a long, long time.

This 71 has the nasty trunk rot problem that also continued up to the front toe pans along with some hidden bondo I didn't know about.

1971 is my 2nd fav Riv. 1965 being #1.

I've had many Riv's over the last 40 yrs. but never a 65. The 1983 convertible was #3 and a really great car.

16 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Peter,

Gorgeous Riviera you have there!  Care to share the story behind your car?   Did you restore it?  What colour is the interior?  Options?  Provenance?

It came from Tucson to Saskatchewan in 1979 or 1980, then got disassembled and sat in pieces for about 13 years. I took possession in about 2003.Then we did a frame off resto that took about 9 years. Black interior from Clark's. Options - all except power trunk/vents and autronic eye. Numbers matching. No rust ever, 43,000 miles. It gets to rest all winter in my heated shop and right around this time of year, I squirt a couple ounces of fresh premium into the carbs, start it up, go for a little rip, then change the oil. I replaced the speedo cable last year and expect to take it on a few cruises this summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today is a Long Weekend across Canada except Quebec (theirs is the 3rd week in June - St. Jean Baptiste Day). Holiday Monday the 24th this year is "Victoria Day".

Way back when my Riviera was buried in my garage while I struggled with raising a Family, Overtime and Mortgage payments, I thought there was a move afoot on this side of the border to "take out your Riviera" (all generations) on Saturday. I can't recall where I had seen it or details.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Located in the Capital of Canada, (Ottawa), along with my '68 Riviera.

A long-time ROA member and supporter. Over the years there have been quite a few fellow Canucks in the ROA come and go, for various reasons.

In terms of numbers, the bulk of the membership is understandably USA, but ROA is an international group, and membership is open to all, with, or without a Riviera.

Great group, and well worth the annual membership fee in my humble opinion.

Here's my 2nd love.

Hershey 2010.jpg

• Like 2