1938 Buick on Bring a Trailer

Ohjai

No.

A correct Special hood should not be difficult to find. They're by far the most plentiful of the '38s with hundreds of thousands of them built and many thousands still in existence. There are suppliers who can probably lay their hands on them pretty easily and I've seen them pop up many times on eBay.

Looking at that car, the wildly incorrect bordello interior would be my biggest turn-off and I'd say it's pretty close to its actual value right this moment ($8100). At that price, you can afford to find a hood, paint it, and install it to add some value. But even the finest '38 Special sedan in the world will be hard-pressed to break the $20,000 barrier. Don't over-pay for this car just for propinquity's sake, there are other equally nice cars laying around that don't need a critical component to be whole.

Besides, what kind of life did that car really lead with an owner who was too cheap to ship it properly and too greedy to not take the insurance money and fix the car after it was damaged? That's a guy for whom cutting corners is a way of life.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, first of all, regardless of how damaged hood panels were, never throw anything away.

Second, I could live with the no hood option, and there are hoods to be had I’m sure.

I could not live with that awful interior.  It always baffles me that people put red velour in a car that never had it, and then pose with the fake machine gun in front of the car, they seem to go together at times...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Besides, what kind of life did that car really lead with an owner who was too cheap to ship it properly and too greedy to not take the insurance money and fix the car after it was damaged? That's a guy for whom cutting corners is a way of life.

This.

Sadly for the planet, but great for the seller, there are enough people who either a.) don’t possess the ability to read between the lines, ever, or b.) just enjoy moving their money a way from their own shoebox for any random circumstance.

Dave Tacheny likely has the hood needed for this car. His prices will probably beat any ebay sellers. I too hate the interior, although I kind of like the not quite correct dash woodgraining. I hate the aluminum radiator. It will probably sell for more than it is worth, but hopefully whoever buys it will enjoy it and give it some love. 

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Someone paid "already has a hood and a correct interior" money for that hoodless car. Yikes.

Wow, That was a surprisingly high price for a Model 41 in that condition. If anybody wants to buy a 1938 Model 61 in quite a bit better condition for around that price, let me know.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 10:58 PM, MCHinson said:

If anybody wants to buy a 1938 Model 61 in quite a bit better condition for around that price, let me know.  

Must... resist... another... old Buick...