Chrysler turbine car

7 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Ask nicely, and one of these three pretty ladies will take you for a ride!!

63_Turbine_6.jpg

I have a comment, but don’t want to get anyone into any trouble, especially me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Ask nicely, and one of these three pretty ladies will take you for a ride!!

63_Turbine_6.jpg

Sadly, they are all now most likely in their 80s or close to it.  I'll bet they didn't retain their looks as well as the 9 remaining cars did.

• Thanks 1

Frank Kleptz had one in his Terre Haute, IN museum.

I always thought the profile of the Turbine car reminded me of the 64 Thunderbird that

my father had in the same copper color.

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Frank Kleptz had one in his Terre Haute, IN museum.

I always thought the profile of the Turbine car reminded me of the 64 Thunderbird that

my father had in the same copper color.

The car for sale is from the Kleptz collection.  I think there are only a couple in private hands.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, George Cole said:

Sadly, they are all now most likely in their 80s or close to it.  I'll bet they didn't retain their looks as well as the 9 remaining cars did.

Good one!!   

The cars and their late 1960's, They must be Dodge Material uniforms have fooled you!!  That photo was taken in November, 2019 at the annual Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals show in Chicago.

Craig

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 12:53 PM, JimKB1MCV said:

The marine industry had a brief flirtation with it in the '70s, at least one container(?) ship was running New York- Puerto-Riico for quite a while. When fuel prices escalated the enthusiasm seemed to deflate a bit.

My dad was a manager at Ford Custom Vehicle Ops starting in 1959.  In the 60's Ford was working with the federal government on a more efficient way to move freight on land using public freeways and got the go-ahead to develop Big Red- the Ford gas turbine truck project.  I don't recall what the overall length and weight the beast was designed to pull but it was a good 50% more than allowable limits for heavy trucks at the time, so much so that they planned to build transfer terminals on freeway spurs because Big Red was just too big to be safely operated on city streets.  Ford set up a gas turbine laboratory and built enough 650hp gas turbine engines that they partnered with AMF Hatteras and Pacemaker Yachts to equip a few boats with the engine.  I remember seeing advertising for them in boat magazines.   In the late 60's Ford built a brand new 8 million dollar HVAC lab right across the street from the old gas turbine lab and when I joined Ford in 1972 to work in the new lab I could walk out the garage doors of our lab and look just across the street at the old Gas Turbine lab which had been mothballed by that time.  The parking lot in front of it was used for car hauler parking and the company gas pumps were on that lot in the Research and Engineering Center in Dearborn, MI.   

At least one of the turbine cars must have done a world tour, presumably exhibited at local car shows. This one is being unloaded from a - piston-engined - Douglas DC7F at Wellington (New Zealand) Airport on 6 December 1963.

May be an image of standing and car

Here it is being refueled - from a tanker - 

May be an image of standing, car and outdoors

It is interesting that the local dealer plate it is wearing is the new style of permanent plates that were introduced on 1 July 1964. There has been a lot of debate as to just when the first of the plates came available. This photo will add more fuel to that debate. 

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

No actual cars or car parts were damaged or modified in the customization of the Turbine Car, on paper.

• Like 1