Chrysler turbine car

3 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Was wondering if people on here had anything to do with it? Very interesting car, did anyone besides Chrysler make turbine cars?

I watched my Chrysler engineer neighbor drive one for a while when I was a kid in 1963-64. I woke up every morning just to hear it start up. Never got a ride in it, but his daughter whom I dated gave me this book....

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jay Leno covered the car in a bit more depth a while ago, interesting video, though. I had a smile when the narrator said "...and it drove just like a car."

Gas turbine tech seemed to have grown a following by the '60s, perhaps fizzling out a little by the '70s.

The marine industry had a brief flirtation with it in the '70s, at least one container(?) ship was running New York- Puerto-Riico for quite a while. When fuel prices escalated the enthusiasm seemed to deflate a bit.

The USN loved them, probably still does, they require no warmup and I think maintenance consists of remove/replace.

My last few (USCG issued) Merchant Marine licenses are endorsed ..and Chief Engineer of gas turbines of any HP. It was a giveaway endorsement. 😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Is it my imagination or does it look as if the Chrysler design people may have been drinking from the same gene pool as Ford's T-Bird design people in the early to mid 1960s?

The roofline looks familiar.

Elwood Engel was a Ford stylist from 1955 to 1961 when he went to Chrysler. This explains the similarity between Ford, Thunderbird and Lincoln styling of the early sixties and Chrysler styling a few years later. You see it especially if you compare the 1964 Imperial to the 1961 Lincoln, or the 1965 Chryslers to 1964 Mercury. The Chrysler turbine car and Thunderbird were the work of the same man.

• Like 1

I still have the brochure. two of the promotional models, and the VIP Badge from the New Your Worlds Fair in 1964, they survived all of these years and reside in the showcase in my office now. When it was still opened there was a turbine car  at the Chrysler Museum, and I saw another one a few years ago at the Gilmore Museum, (could be the same one) 

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

They would run on kerosene, diesel fuel or gasoline and did get poor mileage especially in traffic. Chrysler said at the time, that a lot of the people who were doing the beta testing would start them up to show their friends what they sounded like, and this wasted a lot of fuel but, there is no doubt they were inefficient when it came to mileage. Whether this was ever fixed I don't know, they kept building improved models into the early 80s.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Dentist friend of the family had one, vaguely remember something about terrible MPG and needing kerosene ?

ps to me looks more like a Dodge Dart than a T'bird.

Check out the rear view....1958 Ford Galaxie experimental and the Turbine car....

1958 Ford-LaGalaxie-Concept.jpg

chrysler turbine_car.jpg

• Like 2

Virgil Exner started at Chrysler in 1949. He suffered a heart attack in 1956 and was away from work for some time. This is when others took over the design of what became the 1962 line of cars. He left Chrysler in 1961, being replaced by Elwood Engel who came to Chrysler from Ford.

• Like 1

The front of the La Galaxie that keiser31 mentioned above also influenced the Turbine Car.  Elwood Engel used quite a few Ford concept car motifs on later cars at both Ford and Chrysler.  The Turbine Car came off looking a lot better than La Galaxie, in my opinion.  If you're interested in Turbine Car history, Steve Lehto's book is very good. There are nine turbine cars left: Chrysler has two, Henry Ford Museum one, Detroit Historical Society one (it's always at Gilmore Museum), St. Louis Transportation Museum one, I think Peterson and the Smithsonian each have one, and then there's Leno's and the one for sale.

111_0897.JPG

5 hours ago, Jubilee said:

I started to tell my long winded experience with a experimental 352 Peterbilt turbine powered truck in 1972. But then I thought wait a minute, that’s a lot of typing and this is an antique auto forum.

1972 is considered 'antique'.  Why not explain it, along with some photos??

Craig

The Ghia Gilda Turbine car was built as a design exercise.  It was in the Blackhawk collection for years and sold that Richie And Don's 2001 auction no reserve.   It was unpowered.   The guy that bought it spent a fortune putting a turbine engine in it.   Here is a picture from 2017 when it was for sale at BJ.

GiaGildaTurbineCar.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jubilee said:

I started to tell my long winded experience with a experimental 352 Peterbilt turbine powered truck in 1972. But then I thought wait a minute, that’s a lot of typing and this is an antique auto forum.

You can not get off topic on any post I start. The best and most interesting posts go in different directions. That's what keeps them going. Just in 24 hours I have learned a lot about turbine powered cars. Would love to hear about the Peterbilt.

• Like 3

There’s a good book out there about the whole Chrysler turbine car affair.  Seems I read in it that the engine could be removed and replaced in two or three hours, very modular concept.

Anyone have any idea who bought the car that was at Hyman’s?  It sold quickly, even though I’m sure there was a nice number before all the zeros on the price tag....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

You can not get off topic on any post I start. The best and most interesting posts go in different directions. That's what keeps them going. Just in 24 hours I have learned a lot about turbine powered cars. Would love to hear about the Peterbilt.

Me too!

I believe Ford and GM experiment with some big trucks that were turbine engine, and GM Truck & Coach had an experimental transit bus.

Of course, there are the famous Andy Granatelli STP Indy race cars with Pratt & Whitney turbine engines:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/9103-jim-clark-and-stp-studebaker-special/page2?8864-Jim-Clark-and-STP-Studebaker-Special=&highlight=pratt

Craig

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 10:53 PM, Jubilee said:

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/32014-the-gt-601-gas-turbine-powered-macks/

On 3/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, Avanti Bill said:

Hymans just sold one and I would love to know what it brought.  It was in running order so they say.

Most likely one of the three museums currently adding major cars to their collections. Best guess,  New England or Michigan. It’s certainly not the normal car for a collector to stick in a garage. Usually the secret gets out within a short time.