Pay it forward

pkhammer

I am on some other forums that have a place to put parts or services that are free. I buy and sell a lot of parts but I often have things that get thrown away. A good example is incomplete sets of pistons or rings or parts that aren't in very good condition. Sometimes I have odds and ends that I either can't identify or just doesn't have much value. These items usually get thrown out but I always think maybe somebody would want these items. I think there is a need for a place to list things that I am willing to give away for the cost of shipping. I hate to throw stuff away so maybe this would be a good idea? Do others find themselves in the same situation?

What do you think?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I often give perfectly serviceable but unwanted things away rather than trying to sell them. Everything from appliances, to campers, to odds and ends. Sometimes they go to people I know or they get donated to a couple of local  charities that resell them. I take no IRS deductions.

Besides being good karma, it makes me feel good, it de-clutters my life and it means I don't have to deal with tire kickers.........Bob

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

All you have to post is ....FREE to good home.... No need to clutter an already over cluttered forum with more sections.........Bob

True, but maybe if enough people had stuff they wanted to post it'd be worth a separate heading. It's also make it easier to find the "free stuff" people are giving away.

• Like 2

The recipient of the "free" item would need to be willing to pay the shipping. I have things I'm willing to give away if someone out there wants/needs the item but I wouldn't be willing to pay the shipping AND give away the item.

• Like 2

There are approx 137 separate category and sub categories at this time (more or less, my head was spinning till I got to the end.) By adding another and separate "free" heading you will be drawing posts from most of them. The effect therefore will be diluted to the point of having little interest. For example: It would make most sense and have most effect if a person with some free 55 Buick stuff simply posted "free to good home" in the post war Buick section where it will capture the most eye balls and interest.

On the other hand, whats one more heading going to hurt when a program and map is needed to navigate the forum now.........Bob

Sorta reminds me of the good old days at Hershey.  People used to scrounge through all the trash barrels and pull out the stuff vendors didn't want to take home.  Next year you'd see it on the tables again for sale.  I remember one year when the guy next to us tossed a whole box of NOS dog-bone radiator caps.  Sold the heck out of them a year later.  No doubt here will be a few opportunists looking for freebies to resell, but heck, why not.  At least it increases the chances it goes to a good home (eventually). 

Terry

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Sorta reminds me of the good old days at Hershey.  People used to scrounge through all the trash barrels and pull out the stuff vendors didn't want to take home.  Next year you'd see it on the tables again for sale.  I remember one year when the guy next to us tossed a whole box of NOS dog-bone radiator caps.  Sold the heck out of them a year later.  No doubt here will be a few opportunists looking for freebies to resell, but heck, why not.  At least it increases the chances it goes to a good home (eventually). 

Terry

good point..........bob

If I have a decent set of tires that would be good for just parades it would be nice to post them in one spot instead of having to post them in multiple spots. I visit the "General discussion", "cars and parts (very few parts) for sale" and "not my car for sale" threads. If there was a giveaway thread that would be #4. 

I think pkhammer's suggestion was a valid one. Just because it's there doesn't mean your obligated to go look at it but I'll bet a lot of people would. If it turns out there isn't much interest take it down after awhile.

• Like 1

I'd likely put stuff on there a lot. I mentioned pistons above as an example. If I have a box of NORS .030 oversize pistons for say a '36 Pontiac six, but two out of the six pistons are missing, it's hard to sell an incomplete set. In many cases such as this the incomplete set would simply get scrapped. I hate to throw stuff away and who knows, maybe there is some Pontiac guy out there that would love to have them. I can post the pistons someplace on here and just put "Free Pontiac Pistons", but in my mind it's be nice to have a specific place to post that "Free" thread.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm going to get the ball rolling. For lack of a better place to put it, I will start a thread under "parts for sale". The heading will read "Free to a good home -Paying it forward". I will list the first item up for grabs. Feel free to continue to post items under the same thread, perhaps people will get used to seeing it there if it gets used enough. If it works I plan to add an item each week as long as the junk (I mean merchandise!) holds out.

I am going to personally limit my items to things I can easily ship. Large items would require people to come pick it up which is ok but very much diminishes the potential takers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like this. Personally, I hate selling my stuff. Over the years, I have given away more parts than I have ever sold. Of course, items of some significant value, I do usually need to get some dollars for. I also used to often take freebies to keep them from going to scrap. Before I became tied down to family issues, I used to buy a swap space to sell a few things I didn't have any use for, and display a bunch of the freebie stuff to be given forward. I also liked having a place to put the stuff I bought.

I think a general 'free stuff' section might be a good idea. But items for specific marques should be put in the appropriate headings with at least 'Free' in the title.

My opinions for whatever they are worth.

Call it Adopt A Part. Free part, just pay shipping. 

I like this idea a lot, my only comment is it wold be great to agree that the receiver of the item pays shipping and the person gifts it knowing that they will need to package and ship.  How many times I have seen a ad for a part I need , I then call and I am told yes it’s available but I am required to pick it up  . As some of you know it’s near impossible to travel 2000 miles to get a part. Once in awhile I was able to find a fellow old car enthusiast that I found in a club directory to do my leg work , I always sent a check and a bottle of wine to these generous people