car dreams

Buick35

Last night I had a dream(nightmare) that my 35 Buick was abandoned on the side of a busy highway. When I went to get it back it was stripped of the hubcaps,hood ornament,carburetor and many other parts.I was glad to wake up.Sometimes I have nice old car dreams though,like driving across the country without any issues. I once had a dream that I had a white english sportscar and a few months later I bought one.

5 hours ago, Buick35 said:

Last night I had a dream(nightmare) that my 35 Buick was abandoned on the side of a busy highway. When I went to get it back it was stripped of the hubcaps,hood ornament,carburetor and many other parts.I was glad to wake up.Sometimes I have nice old car dreams though,like driving across the country without any issues. I once had a dream that I had a white english sportscar and a few months later I bought one.

Sounds like you were driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway 40 years ago in your dream 

• Like 3

I think my favorite recurring car dream is when I inadvertently come across a garage or large storage building full of cool old cars that I bought 20 years ago, but forgot I had. One of the cars is a '68 Charger and another is a '68 two door Pontiac LeMans. They aren't in perfect shape, but finding them and remembering that I owned them makes me very very happy.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

.... but forgot I had. 

Jim, I have a very similar one, repeatedly. It starts innocuously enough. I find my 1966 GTO is in my garage at one of my old houses from years ago. At first I'm so happy to see it again, it's a little dusty but still runs, and I'm just about to pull it out of the garage and drive it away but then I look a little deeper into the garage and there's my '38 Olds, tired but complete, and as I get closer another former car appears, it's my '29 DeSoto coupe, neglected and dirty, then another, and another, and each one is in worse shape than the one before it, etc.  until there are a couple dozen cars I owned years and even decades ago and all I can think is "How did I forget about all these great cars? I can't afford to have 30 vintage cars in various states of restoration and neglected storage...what can I do with all of them?"  Then it turns into a real Twilight Zone panicked nightmare of too many cars, too little time and  nowhere to take them all. I end up leaving on an uncontrollable 14 foot long Harley chopper with really bad brakes and a flickering headlight through a monstrously hilly neighborhood at night....

Ugh!  Have that one every 6 weeks or so.

No more late night pizza maybe?

I have a recurring dream that involves old cars. My dad and I are in a red 1957 Chevrolet on the Adirondack Northway in Queensbury NY, right at the top of the hill before Great Escape. My mom is driving our 1990 Ford Aerostar and my brother his 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier in front of us in a convoy, the latter two were the cars they had the first time I had the dream, 1998. There's a black 60s Ford pickup in the left lane passing us, sometimes old and beat up, sometimes hotrodded. It's always a bright, sunny day and it's usually later  in the day based on the location of the sun in the sky and the angle it's coming through the trees. There's always a huge amount of anticipation but that's always the case when I am on that part of the road. 

I've never been in a 1957 Chevrolet and I lost my dad to cancer in 2002. (This week in 2002, no less) yet I still have that same dream at least once or twice a year. I have no idea the significance of the black Ford but it's always there. I get the significance of being with my dad and my family in Lake George area, it's my favorite place in the world and the rare times we did stuff as a full family are the best memories of my life. It didn't happen too often unfortunately. So that's obviously what I wish life could actually be. 

I was 14 years old in 1998, the first time I had the dream. I always either wake up before or simply don't remember actually getting to Lake George in the dream. It's just a fleeting fraction, no more than a minute or two in real time, and every time I go on that road... several times a year...it comes back into my mind. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GregLaR said:

No more late night pizza maybe?

Yes...pizza is shaped like a wheel, and that's where it all starts. 😄

Billy Kingsley's dream also resonates with me, as there's a definite feeling of wistfulness in these dreams, despite my happiness.  This is all very Sigmund Ford...or Henry Freud...I can't decide which. 😄

• Haha 1

My reoccurring dreams involve explaining how to recover from navigational errors in

one or more of my 11 Great American Races.   Explaining navigation to someone who

has never done it, is like talking to a 3 year old about Physics.

15 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

After 3 full rounds of hand block sanding my 67 Toro to make it laser straight before painting, I had a dream that I went back out into the shop & a bunch of little waves had shown up & I was going to have to block it one more time! When I woke up in the morning, I immediately went out to the shop to check!😁

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Good to know I'm not the only one that has dreams like that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1