1929 Dodge Brothers DA Tourer "Doc's Dodge"

RichBad

Spent the day masking and blocking the body back with 320g. Then a quick orbi with 400g. She’s all ready for me to paint in the morning if the wind settles here. 
I’ll be up before the sparras fart to give it a top coat. 

40737388-3D03-4547-88D6-DE4C80E6180A.jpeg

57DFE838-52FC-4FB5-9FF0-B8B97077D0D4.jpeg

65AF1959-A452-4D28-8BD7-AE030D2E9E60.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Looks good Matt, have you ever seen the factory video of them painting a touring car? Wiped it down with gasoline and one guy on each side with garden hoses. The runoff flows back into the tank below the car. 

Yes I’ve watched that video Doug it’s a beauty isn’t it. 
I stuck it in nature’s oven today so I could wet rub it this afternoon. 
951C101B-851A-43BB-A1AC-84C9F3F0414A.jpeg.ceed5de91f4c605479a8c1b0eb929cd4.jpeg

started with the wet rub on the doors and cowl. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. 
FABDFCBD-F184-4B2A-9389-140E5A6045E5.jpeg.231b3ed88efb86279261c53742d8a547.jpeg1A20B9AA-39B0-425E-814C-7637C68C0073.jpeg.76cddad746b43157a54b2b73952e51a4.jpeg

• Like 4

That will be a good looking car, Matt. Will the body get pin striped too?  Through my 'putor screen it has a purpley tone to it. What car did the color come from? Many clubs, like AACA, say in their judging manuals that cars should be restored to factory condition. I would love to see someone use a garden hose for the body and dip the fenders and see what happens at a judged show. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

That will be a good looking car, Matt. Will the body get pin striped too?  Through my 'putor screen it has a purpley tone to it. What car did the color come from? Many clubs, like AACA, say in their judging manuals that cars should be restored to factory condition. I would love to see someone use a garden hose for the body and dip the fenders and see what happens at a judged show. 

Did they bake them originally after hosing the paint on. That original paint is so hard to get off. 
I think the car was originally blue. 
A pin stripe would look good between the blue and black I agree. I was thinking the same yesterday while polishing it. 
Is your DA pin striped? Have you got some pics of it. 

From what I have read they gave two coats of enamel with the garden hose then sanded. Then hosed on a third coat and to the oven. The oven was sized and speed was timed to be finished when they came out. That would be the black cars. I have seen original paint cars that the paint comes off in sheets to show the layers or coats. When they went to blue in about '22 that was lacquer. So I guess?? the black roof section was painted and baked then the lacquer applied. My DA is black with red wires and pin stripes. You can see some places where the stripes were, would be enough to duplicate where they should be but would not photograph well. BTW, DAs were painted in batches. I have paperwork of how and when they were built. For example, all sedans were painted a certain color for a given amount of days, then switched to another color for a given number of days. Some DAs were black with green wheels and stripes, others black with  red. Mine was built in a four day batch at the end of June 1929. I am not sure if Victories, Seniors, or Standards were done the same way. Of course, your Aussie cars were probably done differently. I would love to see documentation for your cars. The cowl on this car looks different then ours. Would like to see what the windshield posts look like when you guys start reassembly. 

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Matt, not really much help as it is a Budd body, but here is a photo of a sedan I got from Chrysler historical probably 50 years ago. Have no idea what Richards did. By the way, love the picture (on page 2) of the painted wheels on a Richards waste skip. Deliberate?

da0257m.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Matt, not really much help as it is a Budd body, but here is a photo of a sedan I got from Chrysler historical probably 50 years ago. Have no idea what Richards did. By the way, love the picture (on page 2) of the painted wheels on a Richards waste skip. Deliberate?

da0257m.jpg

Thanks for that it all helps with what to do. Haha didn’t even think about the Richard’s bin to be honest but that works. Haha. 
I think we definitely need a pin stripe under the top bead line. 
I painted a bit of tape to see how it looks. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RichBad said:

I recon that stripe will look good in the same colour as the pin stripe in the wheels.  With the two dark colours it defines the line nicely and gives a touch of class:)

Agree mate. I’ll have a six pack tomorrow to calm the nerves and try it out.😂I’ll put a bit off clear sticky tape down first to try it out. At least then if it’s no good I can just tear it off. 

• Haha 1

Yes, not a very good photo in that it is not really clear enough and even worse after I scanned it!. If you look closely, though, the pin stripes are quite thin, about 1/8 inch, but do not "separate" the colours. They are entirely on the swage itself, both at the top and bottom of the swage about 3/16 inch in from the "crease", so that there are two pin stripes when they converge on the bonnet. Have tried to zoom in a bit , not sure if this will show a bit better. I have seen a very original Budd DA with original paint and it was done just as in the photo. But as I said, Richards may have done entirely differently.

da0257m2.jpg

Edited by Bullfrog_eng (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

That is how my DA is. Notice the top stripe goes across the cowl in front of the windshield. This looks to be a '29 as there is a ridge on the door where your arm would sit when the window is down. '30's do not have that. Did not see that in the other picture. DAs had many changes for two years. 

3 hours ago, stakeside said:

Should be a winner.

Thanks fellas it looks to be on the round part of the bead doesn’t it. I wonder how the pin stripe finished on the cowl, being that It completely leaves the edge of the bead. It must just curve around in the middle to a point. 

Here is a photo of how I did mine. They are as close as I could get to what I have seen in photos and also the very original DA that I know of. Bearing in mind of course that each one was probably a bit different anyway. Also period picture of phaeton (again not that good quality) which would appear to have only one stripe.

DSC00826m.jpg

scan.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Here is a photo of how I did mine. They are as close as I could get to what I have seen in photos and also the very original DA that I know of. Bearing in mind of course that each one was probably a bit different anyway. Also period picture of phaeton (again not that good quality) which would appear to have only one stripe.

DSC00826m.jpg

scan.jpg

Thanks Bullfrog that will give us a great guide to go by. It looks good and almost identical colour to docs dodge. 
leave those pinstripes to the experts I think. 

Matt, I am confused just what my Blue actually looks like, it changes depending on what light falls on it!! You are right though, looks similar to what you have used.

I cheated with the striping. I used a Beugler tool on the wheels, but tape on the body. I tried the Beugler on the body, but had difficulty doing the large curve on the cowl. I think I am just too stiff an old bugger to be able to do it smoothly these days.

I used "Finesse Stencil striping tape". It works great, I used a similar tape years ago, was OK if you sprayed the paint on, but if you brushed it on it would bleed under the tape and leave a jagged edge. This Finesse stuff is brilliant, I used sign writing paint and it brushes on fine with no bleed. Means there is no masking up, the tape is two strips with a top tape, put it in place then peel off the top tape and you are left with the two strips of tape to brush the paint between, lots of different types and thicknesses. I have not found anywhere in Australia to buy it, but Jacksons art supplies in the UK are very good to deal with and very prompt, but Covid slowed the last postage down a lot. Tried a couple of places in US for the same stuff but postage terribly expensive and customers service seemed unknown to them. Sorry if you have a better solution to all this, feel free to disregard, because your Victory looks great.

John

• Like 1

Thanks for the info John. Hopefully someone in the club can pin stripe it for us. Doing all that is out of my league. The wheels are pretty easy I find on the turn table. That tape sounds like a good idea I’ve seen a similar thing on YouTube. 
I did a bit of a pin stripe on it today but it wasn’t good enough I thought. An old sign writer mate of mine came down and had a look and told me to keep going but nah don’t think so. 

Update for this week - Body painting is finished and delivered back - thanks Matt!

John, Trevor and Lindsay have done another day on the chassis and it's almost ready for the body to go back on.  Bit of a drama last week - fitting the spare to the rim (new tyre, tube and band) the rivets on the hub joiner let go and the tyre burst off.  Luckily no major injuries (few bruises) but will need a new rim as it's not round anymore.

Brake drums refitted to the freshly painted wheels.

New exhaust system made (including mounts etc).

NOS Purolator oil filter to the engine.

New Optima battery fitted (we stuck with 6V but using optima for reliability being a club car).

1460923054_DADodgeExhaustsystem.jpg.655f6d6884bee0b7480ed9949a7abf0c.jpg

1559273487_DADodgeOptimaBattery.jpg.4f1ba8711676081b5b41715637359632.jpg

623997771_DADodgeOilFilter.jpg.a0b133c773d5b82f711674a158b2bf0a.jpg

• Like 4

The wheel looks great all put back together. Glad there was only bumps and bruises but sorry about the rim. Love the sunburst striping.  Can't wait to see the body back on.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion , get rid of green top battery disconnect . I had one gave me fits after few years . They arc internally and lose conductivity . Others have also said same on hear . There is a little better grade one with black knob . But since your open , go first class with contact switch .

Love the work your doing , and enjoying thread .

• Like 4

Another good week of progress with John, Trevor & Lindsay, it's really starting to look good.

Ignition switch repaired, new keys cut and tested and new LED lights fitted to dash.  Aluminium clips made to secure the wiring loom to the engine.  All four wheels finished, fitted and brakes adjusted.  Fuel line fitted to tank and oil filter plumbed in.  New radiator drain valve & socket made and off to the radiator repairer (currently having a new core fitted). 

And she's back on her wheels again:)  Just need the camshaft back and we can get it fitted, and then we should be pretty close to firing her up.

20210504_105159.jpg.dd4fbd7b6d01891ae4ecb6a1a15ba4a8.jpg

1920445360_Dodgeenginewiring.jpg.8f5aaf2d922365d00035befe832496e2.jpg

1139643632_Dodgebodyon3.jpg.0526d0db38705a0747c2ed036877bd17.jpg

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great progress happening there. Looking good well done fellas. 
I have a timing cover gasket that was in my kit if it’s needed. I won’t use it and there might be a few other DA gaskets there too. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

Doesn't that model have running board supports?

Yes I think they are being left off until the upholstery is done. They are shin catchers without the boards on. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oops - I haven't updated for a while - don't worry though, work has been continuing at pace with Trevor, Lindsay & John.

• Trevor has stripped and cleaned all the door hardware, all working nicely and the handles are ready for chrome (and internals for Nickel).
  • Camshaft is back - all the followers have been refaced (the cam was already re-ground) and has been re fitted and set up.
  • Remaining engine parts (timing case, valve covers etc) have been cleaned and painted and re-fitted to the engine - she'll be ready to start once we've got a radiator plumbed in!
  • The fuel tank rear cover has been re-fitted and the body fully bolted down with all the doors aligned correctly.
  • Steering wheel has been re-painted.
  • Metal trays have been re-fitted under front and rear seats.
  • New wood floors have been made and re-fitted.
  • 20210510_144732.jpg.f84447d0671dbef0bdfb0efe4f2b06bf.jpg

IMG_20210510_134326.jpg.bb04a89e7003f8ad8d49899d856b9b9f.jpg

IMG_20210511_163621.jpg.c40628b676a5d83b2ced0873512b47e2.jpg

IMG_20210511_160422.jpg.edaf265c705cd1df4f13e71ac774ca25.jpg

20210518_153908(0).jpg.37d349a0c63f92ac65a2c0cc079252a5.jpg

IMG_20210511_164402.jpg.36d66ef12f0b370441e68b48af6b0573.jpg

20210518_153739.jpg.6f828fdaf7d0798a8aa5474f5a9d99b0.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Work has been a little slowed by lockdown 4.0 in Melbourne but here’s a brief update of progress just before we went into lockdown:

*   Finished off the rear floor panel and stretched the battery box access opening, as the original was too small to remove the battery without lifting the floor.  Coated the underside of floor panel in black.
 *   New battery and starter cables fitted to starter switch and mounted to toe board. Starter works!
 *   Valve clearances adjusted and re fitted the side covers.
 *   Vacuum tank and brake fluid reservoir fitted to the firewall and pipes connected up.  punched holes in the new firewall insulation panel.
 *   Attached the new insulation panel with bifurcated rivets, but need a few longer ones (1inch) to complete the job.
 *   Re fitted the manifold.
 *   Re installed the steering column, wheel, and pitman arm etc.
 *   JJ has made up a pair of stainless  rear bumperette ends and is in the progress of making mountings.

Hopefully the lockdown will be over on Thurs!

E52C8F76-A7BA-4496-8B3D-31768D6FF103.jpeg.fbb8c6f9e68772c17c5feb291a28ef8c.jpeg

6EED9D50-92ED-4284-BB1C-D58E116D004B.jpeg.d6a804e9906f7ae6b08eeb4e4474f8a9.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With Melbourne lock down 4.0 easing work's started again on Doc's Dodge.  The radiator rebuild was completed and is looking fantastic.  Work done this week includes

• Exhaust pipe fully connected up and carburetor re-fitted.
  • Distributor refitted and ignition timing set.
  • Radiator badge and lacing fitted to shell and new radiator fitted to shell 
  • Radiator and shell mounted to chassis.
  • Rear bumper mounts being made

A brush tail possum was found having a nap in one of the parts boxes, wasn't too happy with being woken up.

340217383_radiator2.jpg.21a588472fa517787ae13df43d4630fe.jpg

20210618_153357.jpg.82399826040182d138cd5396b6a2f0d1.jpg

20210618_153410.jpg.4182129be38b60211764bf417507ee0b.jpg

Radiator.jpg.6e836f2aefd5d0a46e71eec009e6fa98.jpg

873925123_bumpermount.jpg.151c18d735f5417c8dc3b78b80b83ee0.jpg

• Like 4

Bonnet , side curtains and dash is painted. 
sorry Rich these were supposed to be yours this week but JJ is in pakenham tomorrow and needs the dash to get it all wired up. Still a couple of days left I guess. 

8B1B5299-02A4-48A5-8278-E60943116B33.jpeg

B17DA525-114F-42A9-8D37-A79396071ABF.jpeg

• Like 2