89 reatta shakes when I lightly press throttle

Spazzaroth

This happens when I'm driving down the road going about 50 and trying to maintain my speed. The car will start shaking as though the engine is shaking.  Doesn't happen when I start up doesn't happen when I accelerate hard I end up having to take my foot off the gas and gas it hard and then release to avoid the shaking.  I've been checking all of the readings on my CRT but nothing seems to be wonky.  Was wondering if any of y'all had any ideas?

8 hours ago, Spazzaroth said:

This happens when I'm driving down the road going about 50 and trying to maintain my speed. The car will start shaking as though the engine is shaking.  Doesn't happen when I start up doesn't happen when I accelerate hard I end up having to take my foot off the gas and gas it hard and then release to avoid the shaking.  I've been checking all of the readings on my CRT but nothing seems to be wonky.  Was wondering if any of y'all had any ideas?

mine othen does this too espesally while going up a hill.i too floor it to make it smooth out..

Again Moderate load (up hill or overpass), low rpm (in top lockup) is the worst case (max lean with load) for ignition. Floor (past 50% throttle) and will go into PE (power enrichment) and likely to unlock & is not as much load. In the Reatta a secondary ignition (coil, wire, plug) misfire won't set a code.

You can close up the plug gap a little if a misfire is suspected and it has been suggested before that a gap in the .040's is suitable for the Magnavox style. The more powerful Delco can generally maintain the factory .060" gap. It is tough duty for the engine to lug from 1500-1600rpm locked up in overdrive. Harder to fire a lean mixture too, so a little light on injector shot for a cylinder or two, can contribute. Once upon a time there was a video of a garage diagnosing ignition modules and coils. If memory serves, a bad coil can have a detrimental effect on the ICM after an extended period, so just replacing the coil, may not actually cure it completely. Have to see if I can find that video or maybe someone can call it up?

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This one on ROJ might be the one your thinking of. If not is still a pretty good video.

Ignition System Troubleshooting

No, that isn't the video I was thinking of. I believe it was linked by our friend Bob and pretty sure it was actual testing with before and after on a Delco style. It was more a neighborhood garage style rather than a manufacturer type of video. I did notice the first comment that a problem with one component can lead to failure on others.

2 hours ago, Spazzaroth said:

I replaced the plugs and wires about 2 years ago and the coil about a year ago and also the ICM about a year ago.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that it's not the ICM or the coil and say I'm probably due for some new plugs and wires.

In my experience, it is wires. Check them with an ohm meter, that will find the bad one unless you have a cut or rub through on the outside allowing spark to ground. Also note that an extended misfire from a bad wire WILL eventually fail the coil.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i may not have to worry about it anymore since a kid turned left in front of me and mangled the front end and hood.

Oh man, doesn't that just kick you in the butt.  Sorry to hear this...