Distributor rotor not turning while cranking on 1962 Valiant 225

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

1962 Valiant SV1 with 225 slant six engine, manual transmission.

When cranking the motor we noticed that the distributor rotor was not turning. We were  also able to rotate the distributor rotor and shaft by hand. No wonder it would not fire!

Removing the distributor we noted that the horizontal drive pin on the distributor shaft was fine but could not work out what should drive it from inside the motor. 

Can forum members shed some light and perhaps some photos of what may be the issue here?

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

C4ACC4E5-A510-456C-A710-1A1A2EF63BE0.jpeg

1C98063E-7205-48DE-8B5E-D22A9C9233C9.jpeg

the other end of distributor shaft has a gear that is driven by cam shaft     first make sure the rotor is not slipping on shaft    if shaft is not turning maybe the gear has come lose from the shaft or stripped    drain oil pull pan so you can look up into motor and see what is going on

Is there a plastic or nylon gear at the bottom of the distributor shaft? Is it intact, not stripped or worn? Was the distributor all the way down? The distributor is driven by a gear on the camshaft which is part of the camshaft. The chance of it going wrong is practically nil. The fault must be in the distributor . You can see how it is driven off the camshaft in this illustration. You can't see the drive gear on the cam, but it is a spiral type gear that drives the distributor and oil pump.

https://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/1960/cutaway.jpg

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The top of the shaft is free to turn on the lower part but only to a limited degree, for the centrifugal advance. I don't see how but it is conceivable that the advance mechanism is broken.

If you take out the distributor, first turn the engine to top dead center with the #1 cylinder on compression. This will make it easier to time the distributor when you put it back in, or when you get a rebuilt distributor.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The only other thing I can think of, is failure of the camshaft drive. If the engine turns over but the valves do not move, the cam drive has stripped. This is not the end of the world, a new cam chain and sprockets can be installed without removing the engine but you must be careful to clean out any debris.

Could timing chain be broken?  Cam would not turn.  If I remember correctly, if you remove the oil filler cap, you can see one of the rocker arms on the head.  Rotate the motor and verify that the rocker moves up & down.  If it doesn't move, cam is not rotating.  If I'm wrong about being able to see a rocker arm, remove the distributor and rotate engine and try to look in the distributor hole with a flashlight to verify cam gear is turning.  

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

OP said the drive pin iis OK. Is there a plastic gear on it? 

I speak from experience, the plastic gear CAN break! Used to be a common parts store item, so I guess they failed often enough to be a stock item.😉

Oh, I see Bob has already said this. 😄

OK from what we saw, it appears the plastic gear is broken as part of it went in the sump as we tried to fish it out. Didn’t know they had that sort of drive but makes sense. I will pass this on to the new owner who is a Valiant guy.

many thanks to all!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Hello

I did my Mechanics apprenticeship on those old slants and the timing gear failure is  a common problem.
So i would suggest you pull the sump off and clean the oil pump pickup as well - reason being 9 times out of 10 the fibre gear remnants will block or partially block the oil pickup.

Holden 6 cyl Red Motors used to suffer the same fate  also. More than one suffered catastrophic failure due to the blocked oil pump pickup not long after the timing gear failure had been repaired as to replace the gear itself is only half the job done !!!. 

17 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

OK from what we saw, it appears the plastic gear is broken as part of it went in the sump as we tried to fish it out. Didn’t know they had that sort of drive but makes sense. I will pass this on to the new owner who is a Valiant guy.

many thanks to all!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Yep that'll do it, one more thing to consider when sourcing the drive gear, there were 2 different distributors used here and you've guessed it, they had different size gears

Plastic timing chain sprockets and plastic distributor drive gears often fail on very old cars because they are weakened and made brittle by age. GM V8s used to be patsies for this, with the cam drive sprocket failing anytime after 10 years. I haven't seen this on Chrysler products but no reason they should be immune.

• Haha 1