Advice on selling 1984 HJ47 Landcruiser internationally

Jesse3

Hello. I'm in Australia and looking to sell my 1984 Landcruiser on the American market, or possibly European market (Which ever is in higher demand). Just wondering what the market is like in America for these cars. Roughly what the value is for a great condition restoration worthy Hj47 would be. And the best place to advertise the car or if anyone in particular is looking to buy these cars. Thank you

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

In North America many will expect a big discount for the right hand drive.  Eventually someone has to take the time and expense of switching to left hand drive.  It can be done of course but most won't want to get involved.  You are best off looking at 

right hand drive country's . Your best bet might even be right at home in Australia. Gray market cars { trucks } usually sell at a considerable discount compared to the normal domestic version. The parts and service always becomes a price limiting hassle.

I have owned a couple but it has never been a money making situation. Just a P.I.T.A.

Greg

• Like 2

I second the idea of trying Hemmings Motor News.  I have no insight as to a reasonable asking price, although I imagine it would involve a lot of guesswork any way you look at it given all the variables.

• Like 1

Yeah it is RHD, I was curious to find out if they sell for more in the US then here, I heard they are in high demand there. The one I have a almost complete project car.

I'll look into Hemmings Motor News

Edit: Looks like Hemmings Motor News might be for cars in mint condition, which mine isn't unfortunately 

Edited by Jesse3 (see edit history)

Since it's 1984, to import it it must meet clean air act standards, and have the EPA compliance sticker on it.......which will be a problem, as in 1984 there were several standards.....California or not, ect. I don't think anyone here would be willing to go through the paperwork for a rhd vehicle. Is there any emissions stickers on the vehicle? Any modifications to chassis, engine control systems, missing catalytic converter, non authentic exhaust........are all red flag on importing. 

PS- Also missing a front bumper.......it was required in 1984, none for rear. And protruding frame horns could also be a problem.......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

They are very hot here.   But the RHD is going to really hurt it in the US market.  

I drive a RHD car almost everyday in the U.S. (1963 Landrover) and have encountered no problems. The only two issues are drive-through restaurant windows and when my dog would ride along side of me it looked to oncoming traffic like he was driving!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dustycrusty said:

I drive a RHD car almost everyday in the U.S. (1963 Landrover) and have encountered no problems. The only two issues are drive-through restaurant windows and when my dog would ride along side of me it looked to oncoming traffic like he was driving!

I didn't say it was a problem to drive,  it is a problem to sell.   A significant percentage of buyers will not touch a RHD car when you can get the same car LHD.   That causes a not insignificant price difference.   

• Like 1

Jesse, the average American buyer is not going

to know anything about importing from Australia.

Many people don't even want to buy a car that's

3000 miles away across their own country! 

But if you can figure out, definitively, a possible

transport source, and speak knowledgeably about

how to handle the paperwork involved, you might

persuade someone.  If all an American buyer

has to do is call ABC company, and they will handle

everything, and the buyer knows it will cost $XXXX,

it might give him assurance.

I agree with others, though, that right-hand-drive will

eliminate most American buyers.  Marketing your truck

for a right-hand market in a prosperous, stable country

may be your best approach. 

As to the OP’s original question, nice driver quality and presentable (as in, already “restored” to some degree) hj47’s seem to fall somewhere in the sub $25,000 range with some fairly nice examples in the mid teens. Dumpy projects (that don’t look as good as yours in pics) seem to still bring 5k. There are of course examples with six figure asking prices but it seems like you can get one much more capable and pretty than new for under $40,000. Everything I am looking at is left hand drive. 

45 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I didn't say it was a problem to drive,  it is a problem to sell.   A significant percentage of buyers will not touch a RHD car when you can get the same car LHD.   That causes a not insignificant price difference.   

I dunno, I get offers to buy my RHD Land Rover almost anytime I drive it. The RHD configuration seems to be a major attractant, but maybe theyre all just mail men.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yeah, she's far off from being on the road, its been a project car that's had a few owners. I'll aim on selling it here based off this advice it seems like that's the best choice, unless someone is really after one. Thanks for the advice lads 👍

Put it on the market on some of the bigger sites that will be seen internationally. Let the buyer figure out whether it's legal in his country. It's not your problem to solve and your buyer might be next door rather than around the world. Put it out there and sell it to whomever shows up with the money first.