Simplex Crane

alsancle

Anybody have any experience or knowledge on Simplex Crane?   I think the CCCA mag had an article in the last couple of years (or was it the AACA?).

A buddy of mine had an enclosed drive limo like this one with disk brakes on the front.  Said it was his best car (he had a LOT of great cars).   Also said it was fast enough to scare the crap out of you (hence the disk brakes).

This one failed to sell at Bonhams yesterday.  Not high on the interior, but the rest of it looks pretty nice.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25838/lot/353

1916 Simplex Crane Model 5 46hp Limousine
Coachwork by Brewster & Co.

Chassis no. 2196
Engine no. 2099

563ci L-Head Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
110hp at 2,900bhp
Single Newcomb Updraft Carburetor
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs With Tubular Dampers
Double Acting Hand and Foot Brakes on Rear Wheels

*One of America's premier makes
*Formerly part of the Powers Antique Automotive Museum
*Restored by Neve Engineering
*Little used during this ownership

https://images2.bonhams.com/image?src=Images/live/2020-09/22/25014253-1-2.jpg&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1
<b>1916 Simplex Crane Model 5 46hp Limousine  </b><br />Chassis no. 2196 <br />Engine no. 2099
<b>1916 Simplex Crane Model 5 46hp Limousine  </b><br />Chassis no. 2196 <br />Engine no. 2099

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

What do you want to know? I have worked on it. I know they owner who sold it in 2014. It’s a fantastic car. Low miles. It makes my White look small. Dandy Dave was the last guy to put it together. Back around 2000 it was a nice running and sorted car. I would own it in a heartbeat. It came out of the collection just over the border we were talking a but a few weeks ago. Buy it........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Austin Clark owned the Simplex Automobile Company ( he liked the cars so much he researched to see - in the early 1950s- what the status of the name and right to build the Simplex cars would be, found it and bought the rights/company)  When someone would say they owned  a Simplex Crane he would always then add "Crane model 5 ", as I guess that's what they were. He liked the Crane ( model 5 !) but most people only want to know about the big chain drive earlier Simplex cars. Magnificent automobiles. I had a lapel pin for one 40 years ago or so and gave it to Austin for his birthday one year, we would exchange small gifts like that in friendship. Since I am a fanatic about coach builders and coach work Austin gave me a lapel pin for Brewster & Co. that was in fact a factory admittance pin for a worker ( who had scratched his name into the back of it so it could be returned if the guy lost it) that is in the shape of the Brewster car radiator. Pretty cool .

I wore that pin  while walking around the Hershey flea market many decades ago and my friend Fred Roe saw it and told me  - "please put that in your pocket or wallet or someplace so it doesn't get lost by accident , you're making me nervous " Fred and I were active in the Society of Automotive Historians together and the local SAH group , the Pioneer Chapter - who used to have meetings at my house here on long island. Yes, I followed Fred's request and still have the pin, am looking at it now.

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That speedster at Hershey was here in Deer Park on long island for decades - was a complete car but had fallen through the floor of the garage it was stored in ( in non collectable car era) and the body was destroyed. Eventually I believe the car was bought by the Dragones and a proper period style body fitted/created. What you see here is a great example of what can be achieved with a complete proper chassis/drive train to get a car back on the road again.

• Thanks 1

I have looked extensively at the 4 person speedster car number 2046 that you posted at Hersey in 2019 also when it went through a previous Bonhams auction I believe in Monterey for a no sale. It is a very nicely done car. The seating position for the driver however is a bit tight in my opinion with a extremely vertical seat back. This however was the only thing that i did not like. the quality of the work done is quite high. the perportions are very nice front to rear. The low louverd frame covers are very sporty.  I know I spoke to the owner a few years ago I just need to rumage around to see if i can find the number for him. I own car number 2315 and they are a fantastic car to drive. I have had mine up to 76 miles an hour of the highway and still had a couple left in her. Braking however needs a long term plan. I have relined the driveline brake and the park brake shoes, had a the rad recored and repaired the carb. The next job is to remove the Janky electronic ignition and go back to full mag.

IMG_1466.thumb.JPG.35c01f541ce420774f56db6d8c46f610.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

DSC00064.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Frank and Pauline Snook from Schodack Center, NY owned some wonderful Crane Simplex autos (the Seal's Cove 1917 was one of theirs). They were both very active in local club activities and there many pictures of Mrs. Snook driving this 1915 coupe throughout the 1950's.  Really unique car, anybody know where it ended up?

SIMPLEX.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, md murray said:

Frank and Pauline Snook from Schodack Center, NY owned some wonderful Crane Simplex autos (the Seal's Cove 1917 was one of theirs). They were both very active in local club activities and there many pictures of Mrs. Snook driving this 1915 coupe throughout the 1950's.  Really unique car, anybody know where it ended up?

SIMPLEX.jpg

That is really cool.  Lets hope some idiot didn't turn it in to a speedster.

• Like 1

The paint was still soft when I loaded it on the trailer. As I recall the interior wasn’t installed yet. Don’t remember where or why I hauled it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Check under the General Discussion area and the Period Images thread under that , I just posted a image of a Crane Simplex that was for sale in about 1928 by the RR Dealer in NY City. That dealer was located at 58th St. & 8th Avenue. They issued a folder of over a dozen cars that they had taken in on trade against a new RR and had in stock and wanted to sell.  That is the only mention of a Crane Simplex I have a photo of for sale " in the era" but have several sales folders like this that Packard was offering used cars for sale that were taken in on trade for new Packards in the mid 1930s. Just so many period images, information , from dealer and factory publications that has never been mentioned or discussed since the pre war era, not only here in the USA but in Europe .

Edited by Walt G
wrong information deleated (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, edinmass said:

The first car I ever hauled on a trailer was the Crane Simplex from Seal Cove. Fantastic car.

On 1/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, md murray said:

Here it is with the Snooks in the 50's -from what I've read they drove the pants off all their cars.

snook.JPG

I visited the seal Cove museum this week and saw this impressive car. Ethan the director was very friendly and spend a lot of time with my wife and I, if you get a chance to visit the museum, please do. What a beautiful car this is. I don’t have the background and education in this era of automobiles like some of you do, but it reminds me a little bit of the Locomobile sportif. Feel free to educate me if I am embarrassing myself.FA5A0AC5-98F7-4B06-A0ED-3137EAF6E13C.jpeg.1b7ab02464d6af1761ebdf8071b2ca08.jpeg

• Like 2

John, you are correct in your observations. From the dashboard back the body is very similar to the Locomobile of that era with the "cape" top rear roof styling . Locomobile usually had a vertical windshield and not a raked one. There was a Simplex Crane model 5 here on long island about mid way out some decades ago that had the body destroyed when it fell through the floor of the garage it was stored in back in the late 1940s /early 1950s . A somewhat crude speedster body was made and then the car stored again. It was eventually purchased by a well know car dealer and properly restored and a new body of appropriate proportions created and fitted. It was shown at Hershey many years ago in the flea market. NEAT CARS indeed.

Only parts I have for a Simplex are two cast iron pistons out of chain drive cars one for a 50 hp and one for a 75 hp plus perhaps a original brass hubcap. The pistons are huge , about the size of a half gallon milk container. I probably put a photo  of them on here some time a few years ago.

• Like 1

SO many really super neat motor cars designed and made in the 1914 to 1924 era by "orphan" car manufacturers that weren't part of a major conglomerate that manufactured everything from working stiff low priced transportation to road locomotives. So many stories as I have often stated that have not really been told all that well to fully comprehend and appreciate what it was like "in the era". I keep trying to recognize, document and share the stories but it takes a lot of time to do that, know where to look etc. This includes tracking the location of dealerships who sold the cars and knowing the more expensive marques would be near major cities where the population with the financial means were who would buy the cars. SO much to consider when writing a story to give a broad picture but in a manor to easily understand what exactly was going on. I keep thinking - am I really retired? It never ever slows down.

Walt, you make a great point.  When A model T was 350 dollars, if you were building a car that sold for 5,000 dollars, you better have some dealers in larger urban settings with some economic means. 

dealerships in small rural areas without lots of deep pocket families isn’t going to cut it as a business model. 

However , when those cars were 15 years old  and being being picked up for a few hundred dollars (the ones that weren’t being melted down for the war effort), many did find their way to small town USA. I always love hearing about a vintage High end car being brought out into the public eye from a little modest sleepy town. 

• alsancle changed the title to Simplex Crane

There are some thread on this particular car on the forum with links to the restoration blog.   It is now for sale.   I love this car.   Price is 279,500.

simplex-crane-enclosed-drive-formal-limousine-1905-1918.jpg?_ga=2.184053157.262654013.1667213003-844949150.1662848133

https://www.prewarcar.com/418291-1916-simplex-crane-model-5

1916 Simplex, Crane model 5

Crane Simplex, Model 5 #2246 was originally purchased in 1916 by Frank Coykendall, a very wealthy industrialist and resident of Kingston, N.Y.

Custom Body

When purchasing a Simplex Crane automobile, one would first need to order a complete chassis from the manufacturer.  Next the buyer would order their choice of a custom body.  In this case it was a formal enclosed drive limousine body manufactured by Brewster & Company.  Brewster & Company was at that time one of America's most prestigious body builders.  A great number of early Rolls Royce bodies were made by Brewster.  The enclosed body styles were much more expensive to manufacture than most open body cars.

During 1925 Mr. Coykendall sent his Simplex back to Brewster & Company to have its body completely rebuilt and updated.  A few wealthy owners of only the highest grade automobiles would be willing to spend a small fortune to update and customize their special high grade cars that ran well beyond their anticipated number of years.  This particular Simplex is a prominent  example of an early custom re-body.  A brass Brewster dash plaque dates and authenticates the work by Brewster & Company.  Some distinctive Brewster design features include its obtuse style windshield, a movable glass ventilator in the chauffeur's windshield, spring-loaded door windows with no cranks, exposed wooden ribs supporting its fabric top, passenger compartment roof ventilator, and many other extravagant features.  Mr. Coykendall's desire to have his car re-bodied by Brewster & Company may be compared to having a custom home designed by a nationally recognized architect.  There is little doubt that much time, study, and consultation were shared by him and Brewster & Company.  The end result is a car with classic lines and a stunning visual appeal. 

The body exterior and interior have been kept in completely original condition.  The finish on the highly detailed interior wood mouldings has darkened and checked from age. Some of the upholstery and rug surfaces are somewhat worn and discolored.  This is to be expected in a preservation car.  The original body paint has been coated with tung oil to prevent further deterioration.  The sound of the doors closing must be described as music to the ear of a dedicated collector.  The integrity of the body structure is uncompromised.

Special Order Wheels

When Mr. Coykendall ordered his Simplex his order included six 25" 120mm Rudge Whitworth splined center lock wire wheels.  These wheels were available at a substantial additional cost.  Only a handful of the surviving Crane models have these high quality wheels.  Our research indicates that this vehicle is likely the only surviving Crane model to have both original nickel plated spare wheel covers, including their ornate Simplex medallions.  

Custom Made Radiator

The elegant appearance of his car was enhanced by a very rare custom feature.  All Simplex, Crane model 5's came with radiators manufactured from the finest quality German nickel silver alloy.  According to the late Kieth Marvin, automobile historian and editor, in an article from the Upper Hudson Valley Automobilist Number 150, Jan 1984:

"Most were equipped with a high rounded radiator similar to the Fiat, Kissel, and ReVere.  There were options, however and some owners ordered their cars with cooling systems, the shells of which resembled other contemporary cars.  Rolls-Royce was a favorite although rare.  Another look-alike radiator shell was designed after the Napier car and this is an excellent example of the difference."

This article includes two photographs of this Simplex #2246 showing its original Napier style radiator custom ordered by Mr. Coykendall.  Our research indicates that this is only surviving Simplex Crane with this distinctive and attractive radiator style.  

Originality

This car is one the most original Simplex Crane model 5's in existence, if not the most.  We will begin by saying that every mechanical assembly is original and has been professionally restored.  This includes bolts, screws, and other fasteners.  Every bearing and bushing was replaced if in any way affected by wear or corrosion.  The amount of time required to perform such a detailed restoration is nearly unfathomable.  We have a detailed blog describing our three year long mechanical restoration.  To continue, we will mention parts that are often missing or changed over on other vehicles.  

Included with this Simplex:

The fully restored Newcomb solid brass carburetor.

The Kellogg four cylinder air compressor.  

The original Boyce motometer and bakelite cap in excellent condition.

The original Flentje shock preventors on the front axle.

The Hartford friction shock absorbers on the rear axle.

The original unrestored, operable, Klaxxon horn.

The original C.M. Hall headlights with special cast nickle plated brass bezels.

The original unrestored tail light.

The original complete tool set.

The original priming cups with levers wooden knobs.

The original factory muffler.

The original magneto, coil, and generator.

All dashboard instruments including the Waltham clock.

The original gas cap and gauge.

Original privacy curtains.

The original copy of "Instructions for the care and operation of Simplex motor cars."

The original copy of "Simplex Automobile Company, Catalogue of parts, Crane model No.5"

The six tires are not original to the car, however, they are the exact same manufacturer and tread design as offered on the Simplex Crane from the factory - BF Goodrich 33X5

The original plate glass has been removed and replaced with laminated safety glass.  The hand operated fuel pump is still complete and in place.  A modern electric fuel pump is currently in use as a matter of convenience.  The fuel system can easily be restored to the original hand pump system.

Ownership Provenance

Crane Simplex, Model 5 #2246 was originally purchased in 1916 by Frank Coykendall, a very wealthy resident of Kingston, N.Y. 

A wonderful colorized photograph of his magnificent residence may be found in our blog.

It seems obvious to us that Mr. Coykendall loved his Simplex automobile. According to our documented research he operated the vehicle until 1936 and then placed it in storage and retained ownership of this vehicle until 1950.   

On June 1, 1950 this vehicle was sold to Mr. Claude Schaffer of New Haven Connecticut.  After Claude Schaffer passed away ownership was transferred to his daughter Marion.  Who married Charles W. Bishop. 

On March 9th 1977, Marion S Bishop of Fort Lauderdale FL sold the Simplex to Ralph De Angelis of Stamford CT.

Dan Obele of Phoenix AZ purchased the Simplex from Ralph De Angelis around seven years later in 1984.

Dan Obele sold it to Mike Kilian of Old Hickory TN sometime near 1991.

The current owner purchased this Simplex on June 22, 2018.

This vehicle is being offered for sale with a clear California title.  We are willing to assist in international export technicalities.

• Like 4

It’s a great car………an obscure marque that only true collectors understand. One can only describe the chassis as a masterpiece. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are some thread on this particular car on the forum with links to the restoration blog.   It is now for sale.   I love this car.   Price is 279,500.

simplex-crane-enclosed-drive-formal-limousine-1905-1918.jpg?_ga=2.184053157.262654013.1667213003-844949150.1662848133

https://www.prewarcar.com/418291-1916-simplex-crane-model-5

1916 Simplex, Crane model 5

Crane Simplex, Model 5 #2246 was originally purchased in 1916 by Frank Coykendall, a very wealthy industrialist and resident of Kingston, N.Y.

Custom Body

When purchasing a Simplex Crane automobile, one would first need to order a complete chassis from the manufacturer.  Next the buyer would order their choice of a custom body.  In this case it was a formal enclosed drive limousine body manufactured by Brewster & Company.  Brewster & Company was at that time one of America's most prestigious body builders.  A great number of early Rolls Royce bodies were made by Brewster.  The enclosed body styles were much more expensive to manufacture than most open body cars.

During 1925 Mr. Coykendall sent his Simplex back to Brewster & Company to have its body completely rebuilt and updated.  A few wealthy owners of only the highest grade automobiles would be willing to spend a small fortune to update and customize their special high grade cars that ran well beyond their anticipated number of years.  This particular Simplex is a prominent  example of an early custom re-body.  A brass Brewster dash plaque dates and authenticates the work by Brewster & Company.  Some distinctive Brewster design features include its obtuse style windshield, a movable glass ventilator in the chauffeur's windshield, spring-loaded door windows with no cranks, exposed wooden ribs supporting its fabric top, passenger compartment roof ventilator, and many other extravagant features.  Mr. Coykendall's desire to have his car re-bodied by Brewster & Company may be compared to having a custom home designed by a nationally recognized architect.  There is little doubt that much time, study, and consultation were shared by him and Brewster & Company.  The end result is a car with classic lines and a stunning visual appeal. 

The body exterior and interior have been kept in completely original condition.  The finish on the highly detailed interior wood mouldings has darkened and checked from age. Some of the upholstery and rug surfaces are somewhat worn and discolored.  This is to be expected in a preservation car.  The original body paint has been coated with tung oil to prevent further deterioration.  The sound of the doors closing must be described as music to the ear of a dedicated collector.  The integrity of the body structure is uncompromised.

Special Order Wheels

When Mr. Coykendall ordered his Simplex his order included six 25" 120mm Rudge Whitworth splined center lock wire wheels.  These wheels were available at a substantial additional cost.  Only a handful of the surviving Crane models have these high quality wheels.  Our research indicates that this vehicle is likely the only surviving Crane model to have both original nickel plated spare wheel covers, including their ornate Simplex medallions.  

Custom Made Radiator

The elegant appearance of his car was enhanced by a very rare custom feature.  All Simplex, Crane model 5's came with radiators manufactured from the finest quality German nickel silver alloy.  According to the late Kieth Marvin, automobile historian and editor, in an article from the Upper Hudson Valley Automobilist Number 150, Jan 1984:

"Most were equipped with a high rounded radiator similar to the Fiat, Kissel, and ReVere.  There were options, however and some owners ordered their cars with cooling systems, the shells of which resembled other contemporary cars.  Rolls-Royce was a favorite although rare.  Another look-alike radiator shell was designed after the Napier car and this is an excellent example of the difference."

This article includes two photographs of this Simplex #2246 showing its original Napier style radiator custom ordered by Mr. Coykendall.  Our research indicates that this is only surviving Simplex Crane with this distinctive and attractive radiator style.  

Originality

This car is one the most original Simplex Crane model 5's in existence, if not the most.  We will begin by saying that every mechanical assembly is original and has been professionally restored.  This includes bolts, screws, and other fasteners.  Every bearing and bushing was replaced if in any way affected by wear or corrosion.  The amount of time required to perform such a detailed restoration is nearly unfathomable.  We have a detailed blog describing our three year long mechanical restoration.  To continue, we will mention parts that are often missing or changed over on other vehicles.  

Included with this Simplex:

The fully restored Newcomb solid brass carburetor.

The Kellogg four cylinder air compressor.  

The original Boyce motometer and bakelite cap in excellent condition.

The original Flentje shock preventors on the front axle.

The Hartford friction shock absorbers on the rear axle.

The original unrestored, operable, Klaxxon horn.

The original C.M. Hall headlights with special cast nickle plated brass bezels.

The original unrestored tail light.

The original complete tool set.

The original priming cups with levers wooden knobs.

The original factory muffler.

The original magneto, coil, and generator.

All dashboard instruments including the Waltham clock.

The original gas cap and gauge.

Original privacy curtains.

The original copy of "Instructions for the care and operation of Simplex motor cars."

The original copy of "Simplex Automobile Company, Catalogue of parts, Crane model No.5"

The six tires are not original to the car, however, they are the exact same manufacturer and tread design as offered on the Simplex Crane from the factory - BF Goodrich 33X5

The original plate glass has been removed and replaced with laminated safety glass.  The hand operated fuel pump is still complete and in place.  A modern electric fuel pump is currently in use as a matter of convenience.  The fuel system can easily be restored to the original hand pump system.

Ownership Provenance

Crane Simplex, Model 5 #2246 was originally purchased in 1916 by Frank Coykendall, a very wealthy resident of Kingston, N.Y. 

A wonderful colorized photograph of his magnificent residence may be found in our blog.

It seems obvious to us that Mr. Coykendall loved his Simplex automobile. According to our documented research he operated the vehicle until 1936 and then placed it in storage and retained ownership of this vehicle until 1950.   

On June 1, 1950 this vehicle was sold to Mr. Claude Schaffer of New Haven Connecticut.  After Claude Schaffer passed away ownership was transferred to his daughter Marion.  Who married Charles W. Bishop. 

On March 9th 1977, Marion S Bishop of Fort Lauderdale FL sold the Simplex to Ralph De Angelis of Stamford CT.

Dan Obele of Phoenix AZ purchased the Simplex from Ralph De Angelis around seven years later in 1984.

Dan Obele sold it to Mike Kilian of Old Hickory TN sometime near 1991.

The current owner purchased this Simplex on June 22, 2018.

This vehicle is being offered for sale with a clear California title.  We are willing to assist in international export technicalities.

What a car. I hope it’s new owner will share it publicly. I’d travel to see it.  

thanks for posting AJ. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Good evening to everybody.

As a new happy owner of a beautiful SIMPLEX Crane Model 5, I should like to enter in contact with others owners to share informations and activities.

I live in Lyon (France).

I hope that you will accept that I gather with your group.

Has somebody this list of cars ?

Do you know at least the still existing body numbers ?

Best regards

(Sorry for my mistakes, I am french and english is not my usual language)

_DSC7725_DxO.jpg

_DSC7641_DxO.jpg

• Like 6