GARAGE ADDITION IN NORTHEAST PA

Hi All,  The roof sheathing on the new addition went up yesterday  9/28.  As well as the ice dam membrane,synthetic underlayment, drip edge, and facia boards.

Front roof.

001.thumb.JPG.a99cdc4015c97eac8094a03893f058e9.JPG

Close up of the back roof.

004.thumb.JPG.1d53dceb1a8832e0ecd263ae60ff7fe3.JPG

One last truss has to go up, but the overhang on the existing garage has to be cut. Looks like rain today, so that might not happen.  We shall see.

I gave in a prior post some cost figures.

What I forgot to mention was that cost also included the following........

Remove the shingles on the right side of the roof of the existing garage and  reshingle the same.

Frame the gable extension on the existing roof, as well as sheath and put down underlayment.

Cut a 4 ft. opening in the common wall to get from open side to the other.  This will include cutting the cement blocks, LVL header and all framing.

Thanks for the interest.  Jim

• Like 3

Looking good, so much progress with a crew of two or three compared to like me, trying to do it mostly by myself. (right  @auburnseeker 😄 )  

Not sure of the layout of existing or how it may change with the addition, but I'm not seeing a man door along the long front. Seems a long way to side step behind cars to reach the other end. Sure you don't want to bump one in maybe between the new and old or down at the end just right of the last garage door? Maybe one with a window for some additional light.  Just a thought plus I just like to spend other folks money.

• Haha 1

My architect couldn't understand why I wanted a door on each corner.  I told him.   when you want a tool inside on the side you are working on and the door is on the other end,  you have to walk 120 feet to get it each way,  or for a few hundred bucks,  just go through the door in front of you.  They have already paid for themselves many times over and I'm not even done.

• Like 1

Hi all,  No work today due to the rain.  Trying to keep the existing garage as dry as possible and of course work safely. Contractor feels he will need 2 days for the next few steps and wants to make sure there is no rain in the forecast. So we maybe looking at Thursday and Friday when he will be back.   Its ok,  we can use the rain.

Lamar,  On my prior property I put up a 30 X 48 pole building  and  doubled the size of the garage 20 x 20   to   20 x 40.  Getting to old to do that again.  Watching someone else do it is fine by me.  There are other smaller projects that I will handle.  Reside the shed  and   there is a 10 x 10 concrete slab that used to be a dog pen that is calling for a garden shed.  So there is plenty to do.

There was plenty of talk about putting in another man door  and  additional windows.  But decided against them.  I may regret but had to stop the spending somewhere.

And we all know you are not done when the construction is completed.  There is still insulation, floor coating, electrical, lights, the 4 post lift, 5 hp air compressor,  etc   etc.

Auburnseeker,  do you have pictures of your completed structure?   Also,  what is you name? other that Auburnseeker.

Edited by ILIKECARS53 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Auburnseeker has many names........what they call him depends who you talk to. 

Actually, he's a very nice gentleman, but Im not sure if he uses his name on here in public, and I don't want to violate anyones privacy, but you could also send him a PM, and I'm sure he will respond. Best, Edinmass.....AKA Ed Minnie

The real name is Randy,  but Auburnseeker is probably best as most forum members know me by that like I do most members.  I know very few by their actual name. 

Ed's being overly kind in thinking I'm a gentleman. ;)  I think that's the first time i have been called that.  I've been called lots of other things though. 

Here are a couple of shots of my "finished" garage.  I still have a long way to go,  but the shell is done and i have my CO. 

I just realized I need to get some better photos.  None of these are very good. 

I included an in progress one that gives you an idea of space inside. The car trailer is about 6 feet from the wall across the back so there is more room not shown. 

The original plan was to be able to drive in and park cars down each side like you see the excavator parked.  Thus I could get away with one door.  Less heat loss and expense in the end. The door is  14 tall by 16 foot wide.   Overall size is 60 by 72 clear span with a 16 foot ceiling throughout.  Original plan was to possibly put a loft down atleast part of one side for storage. 

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_8785.thumb.JPG.bcc3acdefc888561720912812d1ba93e.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It rained mostly all night, fairly hard at times.  But rain is good.  Unfortunately the 1952 Chevy is outside. Contractor is here and has started to rip the shingles off the existing garage.  Shingle delivery is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  All going very well.   

Domestic water issue seems to have cleared up.  Good pressure with no air  and  the water is clear. 

Thanks to all for showing interest.   Jim

• Like 2

Your rain moved North to us,  but we really needed it as well.  Looks like you are making great progress.  The lower height I know makes things easier on the construction end.  Things went pretty quick on mine until they got high up in the air then it slowed down as everything had to be done off a lift. 

Yesterday was a good day.  The garage shingles were removed on the right side of the building. The overhang was cut off  and  the last truss was set.  All the framing for the gable extension was completed as well as the sheathing.  The valley has the ice dam membrane  and  the new and old roof has the synthetic underlayment.

Front roof.

001.thumb.JPG.2c1e9a543af4eebfbe0152a7ad88505d.JPG

Back roof.

008.thumb.JPG.28fb750b03cd29dbc89d4de937e774d6.JPG

View of the gable extension from inside the addition.

004.thumb.JPG.8cc7a289391ab7c7019bcadd2d2c2ceb.JPG

They will be back this morning to finish up a few things.  Shingles will be delivered today.  Not sure of when the shingling will start.

Thanks for looking.   Jim

• Like 7

Shingles were delivered this morning.  Outside contractor will start putting them on the roof tomorrow.  They think it will only take one day, it is about 17 sq.

Other small things were done today.   Fascia returns, collar ties on gable extension, blocking where necessary, etc etc.  were all done.

Shingles stacked on the roof in preparation of tomorrow.

009.thumb.JPG.61b7fdfdf8dce68084b6e5b92ace9f2e.JPG

Collar ties framed in.

022.thumb.JPG.a81859c0d9cd84da0cb78ea685c0914d.JPG

No real pictures today.    Thanks for looking.    Jim

• Like 2

Hi all,  All shingling was done today.  The first chalk line was pulled at 8:45 AM  and  the last nail in the ridge capping was done at 12:45 PM.  4 hours to do almost 18 SQ.

It was a 6 man crew.  3 had nail guns  and 3 helpers.  The helpers opens the bundles,feed the nailers shingles, kept the work site clean,  etc  etc.  Very impressed with their work.

Front roof.

001.thumb.JPG.b33eeb86a81e8cc8bc1ac265325483cd.JPG

Front  valley.

002.thumb.JPG.5a6ce692a51e3a53de60e5efe85d0db8.JPG

Rear roof.

006.thumb.JPG.3621dc92a1ad5273a97c15453f3be390.JPG

Rear valley.

008.thumb.JPG.41a66263443d3dc8a23c60ebb8beb98d.JPG

The contractor will be back on Monday.  Depending on the weather is what he will do.   Nice day he will work on the soffit and fascia trim.  If rainy he will cut the block and frame the opening to get from one side to the other.

Will keep everyone posted.  Thanks for you interest.  Jim

• Like 6

Thank you to all who are showing interest in this project.

A little quiet on the construction site at the moment.  There were a few things done yesterday.  The soffit on the gable end was done, the window was installed in the back wall, and the opening between the 2 buildings was started.

Gable end soffit and fascia all finished up.   The overhang soffit and fascia will be done after the siding.

001.thumb.JPG.49429e404ff7880ceec74542051578fa.JPG

Window installed.  They ran out of flashing tape.

004.thumb.JPG.bf991903a8c30e5ae2e6bb7ef67d9dd9.JPG

They started on the opening.  This is the view from the existing garage.  All the block is removed  and  the opening is framed.

They will do the concrete step within the next day or so and finish cutting the sheathing out when the garage doors are in.

010.thumb.JPG.788243a7409f50873a2c5c778172817d.JPG

The concrete form is ready.  That is a piece of plywood above the form.

012.thumb.JPG.57b4c5424ab9e94bd76c4738f0dd0cf7.JPG

View of where the opening will be from the addition.  It is 32" from the back wall.  The opening will be 48".

009.thumb.JPG.0bfaa8ce3b84f3c662851ff86ffa542a.JPG

Thanks for looking.  Jim

• Like 5

Even if the siding came in on time, the contractor would not be installing today.  It has been raining all night  and  it supposed to go into most of today.  But rain is good.  I started to purchase some insulation for the walls. I was going to cover with 7/16" OSB, but the price went through the roof.  Last year I bought a couple of sheets at about $11.00 per sheet.  Priced it over the weekend, it more than doubled, $25.00 per sheet.  I guess sheet rock is going up.  Will purchase the cement floor sealer this week.  You are to wait 28 days before applying the sealer, so I want to have when day 29 rolls around. LOL.

Will keep you posted when things start to happen.

Thanks for viewing.   Jim

• Like 1

It's amazing how much stuff seems to go up almost every year.  I can only imagine what my building would have cost if I built it today and I only started it 3 years ago.  As I was building though prices were raising drastically. I bought my materials as Hurricanes were hitting and got prices from one lumber yard that had it in stock that were lower than the other could even buy it for because they didn't have it in stock and the wholesalers had already jacked the prices. It was the same on roofing.  I bought all the roofing and paid for it while I was still doing the grading and site work.  I was told by the roofer it would have been alot more if I hadn't done it that way.  I bet it would have been atleast another 10-20 grand in materials.  

I have been toying with doing board and batten inside on the walls, to hang up my signs.  The fire rating isn't there though which is a big draw back but about the same as OSB.  Price is very attractive as it's all sawn local and would look good.  I've always wondered about fire ratings though.  It slows the spread down but seems almost any fire in a garage , especially if a car catches fire if no one is around is going to result in a total loss if you don't have a fire suppression system which is not really an option for many small collectors.

The siding is still not in yet, but the contractor was here to do some odds and ends.  

He poured the concrete step in the opening.  He will cover the edge of the block with 2x material after the

cement hardens.

010.thumb.JPG.f9f837d7b12f72cb5380e1e0b51688cd.JPG

He trimmed out the door openings.  It is all in vinyl.

002.thumb.JPG.d68a2c3369e4a02056f138aff58e4d22.JPG

I wanted the doors on both buildings to look as close as possible.  i redid the trim etc on the existing doors to match the new dors.

It took me 4 days  to do.  It took them 4 hours.

013.thumb.JPG.3268e303227455d6747969f6e0667605.JPG

Hopefully the siding will be coming in soon.  

The doors are due in early next week and on the schedule to be installed the first week of November.

Will keep everyone posted.  Thanks for viewing.   Jim

• Like 4

HI all,  The siding came in on Friday and the contractor picked it up this morning, instead of waiting for it to be delivered.   

Front wall all sided. There are three electrical boxes planned, please see picture below.

The lower left is for an outlet, the one in the middle of the 2 doors for a decorative light  and  on the far right for a spot/flood light.

016.thumb.JPG.43c2231cbbe6a254ef4e39c641d350e8.JPG

Side wall with the straight runs all done.  They will start all the angle cuts tomorrow as well as the back wall.

021.thumb.JPG.0e2fa9a420a5cd54b4fa8956ad0dc444.JPG

Front overhang soffit and fascia all trimmed out.

023.thumb.JPG.5b442c8927482d65ba8e3e7d64f51236.JPG

They should finish up the siding tomorrow depending on the weather.  Gutters are planned for either Thursday or Friday.

It's getting close to completion with the overhead doors the last big item to get done.

Thanks for viewing.  Jim

• Like 3

Looking good.

Did you ever think about putting air in the walls?  I used a rapid air kit from Eastwood.  I also put an outlet outside so I didn't have to run a hose out the door whenever I wanted air outside.  The kit is pretty cheap. i think around $200.  I used 2 for my 28 by 50 smaller garage and plumbed fittings in so I can get away with a 10 to 15 foot hose anywhere in the shop. Sure beats having hoses all over the floor. 

• Like 1

The kit worked pretty well. I almost think I bought it off Amazon the second time around.  I don't recall why,  but I was able to buy a bunch of extra pieces easier that way.  I tried to limit the amount of fittings in the walls.  I haven't gotten my compressor set up in my garage here at the house I put it in,  but I did use it in my old shop alot and was pleased with it there.  Very easy to install.   Biggest trouble with putting it out in the garage here was feeding it through the holes and uncoiling it at the same time,  but with a helper it wasn't too bad.   

I ran it inside the walls as I wanted a cleaner look. The only couplings are in the ceilings.  I made sure to not put any in the walls just in case as my walls are really finished.  Even these have an extra long whip so they can be pulled out of the wall to unhook them.

fullsizeoutput_406.jpeg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Siding and all soffit and fascia trim was completed today.

Gable end.

002.thumb.JPG.b4ecadec4ef8c54c81efc055985193d9.JPG

Back wall.

005.thumb.JPG.a7acf176f75871f4712c0be2f3696067.JPG

Rear overhang all trimmed out.

016.thumb.JPG.bb39a41e0ed6f12a06a783ea56639bb5.JPG

Back wall transition between new  and  existing building.  Best that could be done without residing the back wall of the existing garage.  Only the bear and deer will see it.  The existing back wall needs to be cleaned, but did not want to waste water this summer.

008.thumb.JPG.a30955529dda1a20830541a23f7fdfd9.JPG

Overview with the existing garage  and  addition.   I am very pleased with the outcome.

020.thumb.JPG.49f45adb51ea2281365d49d081d5e1c0.JPG

Seamless gutter will be done on thursday or friday  and  the doors the first week of November.

I will try to do some things inside before the doors go on.  Like seal the concrete floor  and  start some insulation  and  drywall on the far right wall.  This wall will be for storage.  Already have the shelving units for this. Got them out of a church that is cleaning out old stuff.  They will work fine.

Getting closer to moving the cars in.   Thanks for viewing.     Jim

• Like 11

Thank you all for your interest.   

Gutters are going up this morning.  Earlier than I thought.  Added leaf guards to the new gutters plus the existing gutter.   The only thing left will be the doors  and  finish the opening between the 2 buildings.   

Thanks again to everyone    Jim

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,  I realize it is only gutters and down spouts, but I have to put a pic or two on the forum.

001.thumb.JPG.55bfb57dc5e061e7873517f2af7b2152.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.4dd85910d5a9bc8b8abfdd6d2bfada35.JPG

This will be the view from the back window.

010.thumb.JPG.f9410d10c3a509c9d066e86aba028194.JPG

I have all kinds of ideas for the interior, but one step at a time.  There are a couple of house projects that I promised Holly I would finish before starting in the garage.

• Like 2

Hi All,  Update on the doors.  They will be installed Thursday morning, a few days early.

I put up some insulation over the weekend.  7 rolls of R19 in the walls. Will need another 6 or 7 rolls to finish the walls in the addition. Have decided on drywall for the walls. Will start on the far end wall and front right wall.  These walls will be for storage.   Bought the concrete sealer but the weather has been either rainy or damp, so will have to wait for a nice clear day.  But I have it so I can do at any time.

Start of insulation.

001.thumb.JPG.31ae5fcd6bce688cb479430ce809b412.JPG

Have to run the wire for the outside light, that is why that piece is hanging down.

003.thumb.JPG.0716c0ccff669358df7a38dce4c1ba41.JPG

Here is the product I will be using to seal the floor.

009.thumb.JPG.ab1c67b7e961b7b9f3505ac46063be0b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All   Here are the door pictures.   The doors are  7ft 6"  by  10ft.

The one on the right has the automatic opener.  The one on the left would need the type of opener that mounts directly 

to the torsion spring. This is due to the fact the track follows the scissor trusses which are a 3/12 pitch inside.

002.thumb.JPG.5f5130eb411f446490426899594fe524.JPG

Here is an overall view of the addition and existing structure.  The weather is supposed to nicer tomorrow and

I plan to clean up the debris in front.

007.thumb.JPG.758ecf7b807f79f64dd408cf21802441.JPG

It is to warm up into the 50's next week, so I should be able to seal the floor.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ILIKECARS53 said:

Hi All   Here are the door pictures.   The doors are  7ft 6"  by  10ft.

The one on the right has the automatic opener.  The one on the left would need the type of opener that mounts directly 

to the torsion spring. This is due to the fact the track follows the scissor trusses which are a 3/12 pitch inside.

002.thumb.JPG.5f5130eb411f446490426899594fe524.JPG

Here is an overall view of the addition and existing structure.  The weather is supposed to nicer tomorrow and

I plan to clean up the debris in front.

007.thumb.JPG.758ecf7b807f79f64dd408cf21802441.JPG

It is to warm up into the 50's next week, so I should be able to seal the floor.

I want to be you when I grow up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ILIKECARS53 said:

Thanks for the kind words.  Where do you live in NJ.  I lived in the Garden state for about 35 years.   Jim

I live in Vernon Township up in Sussex County. Grew up in Paterson. Where in Jersey were you? - Jim