Fifties A/C

4 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Never used that one, but the bracket for the 55-56 factory a/c will work with the Sanden type compressors and will work with a single belt that also drives the generator and fan, so need for a multi-groove pulley.  Wonder how many of those bracket you threw away?:P

3 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Never used that one, but the bracket for the 55-56 factory a/c will work with the Sanden type compressors and will work with a single belt that also drives the generator and fan, so need for a multi-groove pulley.  Wonder how many of those bracket you threw away?:P

LOL  of all the 20+ Buicks that have run through my hands, only one had factory A/C.  It didn't have the original engine though and compressor and bracket were no where to be found.  A forum member has all the other A/C parts off that car 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, old-tank said:

but the bracket for the 55-56 factory a/c will work with the Sanden type compressors and will work with a single belt that also drives the generator and fan, so need for a multi-groove pulley.  W

good to know

This compressor, pully, and bracket stuff has been on my mind for years.  I have two cars:

First: A 1958 41 series (non factory AC).  Replaced the 364 (still have it with matching VIN but not rebuilt) with a rebuilt 401 with 59 factory AC setup on the engine only.  Takes an A5 Sealed compressor as bolt-in.  Will use an underdash unit.

Second, being built, is a 58 Century Convertible built in California no AC.  58 364 low mileage engine which I do not intent to rebuild at this point, got all the pulleys and brackets again but this time for a factory AC setup, engine only.  Will also use an underdash unit.

What is the best way to get a compressor into these?  What Sanden model.  I am willing to modify factory brackets.  Or fabricate.  But I don't know nor have done the research as to what Sanden to use.

Considered using A6.  Someone makes one which will bolt into a Cadillac as a replacement for an A5, but I don't think that would work out very well.

From the beginning of this journey to putting AC into these old cars, I figured I would be better starting with factory AC setups as far as the engine.  These things changed every year and there are many variables involved in getting it right.

First: A 1958 41 series (non factory AC).  Replaced the 364 (still have it with matching VIN but not rebuilt) with a rebuilt 401 with 59 factory AC setup on the engine only.  Takes an A5 Sealed compressor as bolt-in.  Will use an underdash unit.

Second, being built, is a 58 Century Convertible built in California no AC.  58 364 low mileage engine which I do not intent to rebuild at this point, got all the pulleys and brackets again but this time for a factory AC setup, engine only.  Will also use an underdash unit.

What is the best way to get a compressor into these?  What Sanden model.  I am willing to modify factory brackets.  Or fabricate.  But I don't know nor have done the research as to what Sanden to use.

Capgage,

With the size of your car and the amount of glass in it, I would go with the Sanden Series SD-709.   It pumps 9.5 cubic inches per revolution with a maximum 6000 sustained RPM range. This is what you need on a Nailhead with the large cabin space. I am in the middle of putting the same compressor on my 60 Electra for the same reason.

If you want an A5 I have one from a Cadillac.  No idea if it works or how well it works. It still turns last time I checked.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

Bill,

Thanks so much for sharing that.  Now I have a starting point for Sanden.  I guess I'll have to buy one and then see what mods I can do to the factory compressor brackets to make it fit.  To start with toward getting my after market AC unit to work.

Did your 60 use a sealed A5?  Or an A6?  If it used an A5, how does your Sanden work out with the factory AC brackets?

Did your 60 use a sealed A5?  Or an A6?  If it used an A5, how does your Sanden work out with the factory AC brackets?

I use a sealed A5 and a Powergen Alternator.  I am not sure how it is going to work yet, we are still getting the unit inside the car installed. 

Ask again in a month or so and I will have a much better idea.

Have you looked at http://centervilleautorepair.com ?  They have brackets that may fit what you need.

• 3 weeks later...

RivNut is correct. The Allan Grove stuff tries to move all the moving parts "up and in" because of the way the nose on early cars pinch in. I wanted a clean look with lower components and we moved the brake booster to the trunk to make room. I am fitting a Vintage Air compressor, alternator, and power steering pump in a '37 Special with a 401 all while using a modified stock radiator and keep the stock 401 fan. 

On 7/29/2020 at 7:56 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

Capgage,

With the size of your car and the amount of glass in it, I would go with the Sanden Series SD-709.   It pumps 9.5 cubic inches per revolution with a maximum 6000 sustained RPM range. This is what you need on a Nailhead with the large cabin space. I am in the middle of putting the same compressor on my 60 Electra for the same reason.

If you want an A5 I have one from a Cadillac.  No idea if it works or how well it works. It still turns last time I checked.

What vehicles used the Sanden sd-709 ac comppresor originally?