Finally...someone who "gets it"!

On 7/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, JamesR said:

Finally, someone who understands a universal truth: "EVERY OLD CAR IS A DRAGSTER!"

The article in Rod and Kulture verifies it.

1948 Oldsmobile woodie gasser | eBay

That magazine cover could inspire a woodie...oh wait, you mean the CAR🤣

On 7/13/2020 at 11:28 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Want to make your car worth $0.00? Turn it into a gasser. Nobody thinks that looks good anymore.

Hello, my name is Nobody because I still like the look - not as much as original or non-gasser hot rod but it's OK.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well that's not really fair comparing one of the most famous actual racers of all time to a momentary styling fad that makes street cars look stupid.

Well, that particular car is not "one of the most famous actual racers of all time" - it's a fiberglass-bodied street car constructed in 2018.  I get your point but I said only that I still like the look - I didn't say WHAT I like it on.  If I say I like the look of old cars, that doesn't mean I like the look of EVERY old car.

• Like 1

I never really understood the theory behind a "gasser".

Jack the front end up high with a straight axle so the whole underbelly is a giant air dam, slap a big block something in it and expect to go fast ?

Who was it that said "most cars will go faster if you turn the body around backwards".

Of course that does not work for a "shoebox".

55 /56 Chevy, for the kids.

They look the same, coming or going.

Mike in Colorado

About 6 or 7 years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a 40 Willys coupe with extensive period race history.  It came with all its trophies.   Most of the cars built in period have a look that I like.  Many or most of the current replicas/tributes/facsimiles do not look right.  But neither do most Cobra replicas or Auburn Speedster replicas or anything that is a cheap knock off of something cool.

Drag racing for the weekenders is all about consistency any more.

A slow car that can duplicate its ET consistently has the same chance s a fast car.

Its not really racing the other guy, its matching a clock.

That ought to stir em up.

I should mention that I don't hate dragsters or hot rods. I like them very much, in fact. They were the entry point of my interest in cars when I was a little kid in the 1960's. And early hot rodders and drag racers were saving rather run of the mill cars from the scrap heap before many in the old car hobby were.

My problem is with the attitude that I posted in satire in my original post: "Every old car is a dragster," which just isn't true. A rare 4 door Olds woody makes a very poor dragster visually. It's awkward and ugly in that context. It's discouraging because it's likely that the builder found the iconic '33 or '41 Willys coupes or '56 Chevies too expensive, so he probably took whatever was available. Just guessing, of course...maybe it looks great to his eye. Here's how great that car could've looked:

52885530-770-0@2x.jpg

21 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

I never really understood the theory behind a "gasser".

Jack the front end up high with a straight axle so the whole underbelly is a giant air dam, slap a big block something in it and expect to go fast ?

Mike in Colorado

I've never built a race car, but it's my understanding that the intent was to transfer more weight to the rear of the car for better traction. It was more complicated than that, I'm sure. You can research it. Within the last few years there was a really good retrospective in Hot Rod magazine about the early attempts at this strategy among drag racers in the very late 50's to the mid-60's. I believe the Ramchargers racing team  - sponsored by Mopar - were among the earliest pioneers.  (I think they team was originally made up of engineering interns in the auto industry.)

According to the article, until these cars were able to go faster than 140 mph in the quarter, the poor aerodynamics of that set up had minimal impact on elapsed times, so it wasn't an issue until later on. At that point, the classic "gasser" disappeared.

• 2 months later...