1950 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe - $10000 - Roca, NE - Not Mine - SOLD

1950 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe - $10000 - Roca, NE

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/d/roca-1950-pontiac-chieftain-deluxe/7154628837.html

My grandmother bought this 4-door sedan new 70 years ago with a straight-8 cylinder engine and a Hydra-Matic transmission. It was restored in 1997 using an engine with less than 26K miles on it and the transmission was rebuilt. Since then it's been garage stored and driven less than 300 miles. An oil and filter change has been made, a new fuel pump and battery were installed, new spark plugs and wires were added, the front brakes were repaired, and all fluids have been checked. The car came loaded with options: radio, antenna, wind visor, traffic light viewer, fender skirts, wheel covers, WW tires, direction signals, clock, outside RV mirror, back-up lights, gas filler trim, and an under-hood trouble light. Its condition is better than good.

Copy and paste in your email: 3475f840840b3c7e907c6315313e67f6@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe.

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE a.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE b.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE c.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE d.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE e.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE f.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE g.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE h.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE i.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE j.jpg

'50 Pontiac Chieftain DeLuxe NE k.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
SOLD (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That’s a phenomenal car for the asking price or a little less.  Yes it’s a four door but I’m so old I don’t care.  It’s a nice example of a simpler bygone era and one would be transported (pun intended) back to that time with a leisurely drive to the local malt shop on a hot sultry summer evening.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GARY F said:

Very nice car. Does it look like 12 volt battery cables?  I have 6 volt cables on my 37 Olds that are twice as thick.  Double 00

Yes, same thought I had too.

21 minutes ago, Frank Wilkie said:

Owner will not respond to my Email on craigslist.  Tried twice.  ? ?   No phone number.. 

Typical, the response rate for Craigslist emails is terrible.  Roca, Nebraska is tiny 220 people, someone has to know who owns this '50 Pontiac.  Maybe the post office?

Isn't the premise of CL to sell locally? (I think CL became popular when people complained of being scammed on eBay by people who lived 1000 miles away.)

I've sold a higher ticket item on CL to someone who wasn't local, and it was ok, but CL still warns against it. The following is a warning I found on this specific Pontiac craigslist ad and probably explains why Frank isn't getting a response:

"Recognizing scams

Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:

• Email or text from someone that is not local to your area."

So if Frank isn't local or regional - and has relayed that to the seller - the problem isn't likely a bogus ad. It's likely someone who's following recommended procedure. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much you can do about that.

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

People fail to realize that if they have something unusual to sell,  they very likely will have to sell it to someone out of their area.  If you are selling a regular used car that sells easily and have it priced for the market,  then maybe not so much. 

I agree. I suspect a seller who doesn't have much experience selling old cars, which probably isn't uncommon for people who inherited the car from the original owner.

If my old cars are worth enough when the time comes, I anticipate having to sell them in a market bigger than the community where I live.

I really love the 1950 Pontiacs. I fell in love when I saw a solid black one parked in Lake George, NY about 10 years ago now. Missed out on another solid black one at Rhinebeck a few years ago that I now consider one of the "one that got away" class. They wanted $5000, I as usual didn't have enough. It wasn't as clean as this one, but it certainly would have made me very happy.

Someone, please call Roca, NE post office this morning after they open Central Time, explain who you are, why you are calling and who you are trying to track down to possibly purchase this 1950 Pontiac.  Small town folks are helpful, will go out of their way to assist you.   Bets you will have this fellow's phone number within a couple hours if not sooner.

Actually post offices are strange about any kind of info being given out.  They even have a policy where they won't tell you a customers box number but will put it in the right one for you.  So chance of them giving out the number is slim to none if they know it.  A diner in the area would be a better route. 

This appears to be a decent car but I don't see that this 1950 4-door sedan is anything special and IMO 10K would be plenty to pay for it. If the owner is serious about selling it he would post his full contact information and give a reasonable timely response to all emails and inquiries. There's something "off" here and I wouldn't keep jumping through hoops to find the owner of this car "whose condition is better than good."

Edited by The 55er (see edit history)

Craigslist will always be a frustrating land mine, sorry folks.  Been dealing with CL for 15 years and sellers govern the contact and all of the details.  On the other hand, where would we be without CL and in a sense - ebay?   Hemmings must hate CL and ebay, and local newspapers too.  Local newspapers used to charge $15 for 2-3 lines for one week for an old car ad.  Now they are toast. 

The 55er - your opinion on the value and desirability of this car is certainly fine on this discussion forum, but $10K is about the going price.  I highly doubt it sold for that. I suspect it sold for between $8500 and $9500.  With some of the folks posting a lot of ads for the last few months thanks in part to isolation - we as a community are able to "gauge" market price a lot better and I think most of us would agree that at $8500 to $10K for this car, it's a good buy. 

It's the $15k and above for this car where it would struggle, in my opinion.

Sold, so that's that. Sorry you missed on it, Frank.

To be honest, I live about 15 miles away from this town, so I actually took a minor detour down that way yesterday to see if I could see it parked out in front of someone's house in town...and maybe provide interested parties on the forum with more info. (I wasn't personally interested in it.) I didn't see it anywhere, which isn't surprising - it looked like it was a car that was stored in a shelter after it's refinish. Besides, I wasn't really expecting to see it because Roca is a bedroom community for the sizeable city of Lincoln (where I live,) so the location "Roca" isn't only the 220 people who live in the town proper, but also many of the people who live in the homesteads between Roca and the Lincoln city limits.