1931 Plymouth “barn find” roadster and huge parts haul

dpcdfan

I recently bought seven cars, mainly Chrysler products, out of long term storage in an enclosed shed. Most of the cars and parts were put in there over 40 years ago and sealed up. In the group I purchased a 31 Plymouth Model PA roadster with a ton of spare parts, some of which interchange with 32 Plymouth PB and 31-32 Desoto. I’m just beginning to remove the parts from the building and both the car and extra parts will be for sale as I sort through everything to make sure the roadster is complete. 

1931 Ply.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting find, I hope you didn’t pay big bucks for the lot.  There’ll be some interest I’m sure, but like any total project cars, one can’t put much money into buying them.  Good luck getting them sorted out.....

5 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Interesting find, I hope you didn’t pay big bucks for the lot.  There’ll be some interest I’m sure, but like any total project cars, one can’t put much money into buying them.  Good luck getting them sorted out.....

As one of the few guys that have been around these early Chrysler product cars for many years, I bought them because I wanted to make sure that they got sorted out and all the original parts got back on the right car. There are so many extra parts that the previous owner collected, for example at least 6 transmissions and about 20 front fenders. As you can see the Plymouth roadster is basically a body sitting on the frame at this point. The body appears to be in great shape, but it will be important to make sure all the correct parts that are for the car go back with it. On another note, I know someone will ask, the car next to it is a 30 Chrysler Model 70 roadster I also purchased as part of the deal. There is also a 28 Plymouth roadster and sport coupe that came as part of the package.2122093051_1928PlyRoadster6.thumb.jpg.883e15f155870984fe29680aa32b3c45.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

1928 Ply Roadster2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Great that you saved them, and great that the cars and parts still exist!  Hope it all finds good homes....

dave... Thanks that's the goal. Many times I feel like an archeologist, making sure things get identified and put back to people who need them. If someone who doesn't know these cars bought this stuff, the parts would most likely never get ID'ed and get back in the hands of people that actually need it. With that said, I'm sure alot of this will end up at my estate sale!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Color me VERY jealous! I'll bet DC8 Dave would be interested in checking out those brake drums to see if you have some he needs.

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

John,  Lots and lots of 31 stuff, especially sheet metal and mechanical. Haven't even dug the parts out of the roadster. That will have to wait until I get the car out of the shed.

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

• Like 1

This would have been a dream come true for me I have been working on 31 PA cars for the last 40 years. still missing parts for my convertible and a sedan that I have had for years.  As I look through the pictures I am just it awe of what is see.   the side mount fender that i need to complete both sides  for my car.  Now I see the  upper tire mount brackets and support irons.     I wish I was closer would sure like to be there to help on the sort of parts. This is a dream come true.   It is hard for me to set back here in Iowa and see unfold and not be part of it ----Allan

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 32plywood said:

This would have been a dream come true for me I have been working on 31 PA cars for the last 40 years. still missing parts for my convertible and a sedan that I have had for years.  As I look through the pictures I am just it awe of what is see.   the side mount fender that i need to complete both sides  for my car.  Now I see the  upper tire mount brackets and support irons.     I wish I was closer would sure like to be there to help on the sort of parts. This is a dream come true.   It is hard for me to set back here in Iowa and see unfold and not be part of it ----Allan

Hi Allen... There's actually more that I didn't get pictures of. Same person also has a 31 PA convertible in a container that I may be buying as well. It's missing the top irons and I have no idea where I would find those. I have several pairs of dual sidemount fenders, most in good to excellent condition. It's gonna take some time to sort thru all the parts. First job, make sure I have all the parts for the roadster and after that everything else will be available.

6 hours ago, Graham Goetze said:

Hi. I'm looking for a block for 1931 PA coupe. The water jacket on my block is badly rusted through so if you have a block for sale I'd be interested. Regards, Graham ( Cape Town, South Africa ).

Graham... There are two complete engines and one that is all apart. When I get the parts out, I'll take a better look at the block. At first glance the block appears to be in good condition. I'm in the reataurant business and my store manager is from South Africa.

I have been working on top Irons and top parts for my car but I would be interested buying a better car than mine or parts that would complete my car it was a field car and very rough....   I do have extra set of roadster top irons for the PA car if you do not find them ... please keep me informed or if you need help ID on parts --- Allan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 32plywood said:

have you  be able to do any more digging in the parts stash  :) :) 

Hi Alan.. It's been raining the past 4 days so I haven't made it back. Were you interested in the 31 PA convertible coupe, minus top irons? If you can send me a complete list of the parts you're looking for that would be great.

Edited by dpcdfan (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Pete in PA said:

Wow.  It looks like someone had a serious case of Take-It-Apart-Itis!  What a task to take on!

Pete, The guy I bought the roadster got it that way, all apart for restoration. The thing he did do is buy boatloads of extra parts. Almost 20 front fenders is a little bit of over kill!

9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Man, I wish I was there going through that stuff with you! Looks like my kind of pile.

John... Alot of it could be yours! Sorry, no 31 dodge stuff except for things that interchange with Plymouth.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, Graham Goetze said:

Fairly successfully I hope.

Must get this PA on the road again - it's too nice a car to let go.

Hi Graham... Got the block out. Here's a couple of pics. I'll send you an email with all the pics and a complete description. Bock looks good.

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

1 hour ago, 32plywood said:

have you done any more digging in your parts haul ??      any pic's of the convertible ??

Hi, Not yet on the parts. The convertible is in the front of a 40 foot container with another car behind it. I'm trying to get more info on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, 32plywood said:

That thing is as solid as a rock --- what a car ----   Is that a rt side tail lamp stand I see on the pile of parts???  --Allan

Yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 32plywood said:

That thing is as solid as a rock --- what a car ----   Is that a rt side tail lamp stand I see on the pile of parts???  --Allan

Allan... Good eye!! Yes, the 31 roadster is rock solid. It was in the process of being restored when my friend bought it and put it away in the shed.

Edited by dpcdfan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dpcdfan said:

Allan... Good eye!! Yes, the 31 roadster is rock solid. It was in the process of being restored when my friend bought it and put it away in the shed.

3 hours ago, 32plywood said:

here's a little tease on the 31 Plymouth convertible. It's buried in the front of a container and that's the best I can do. The first picture is a pair of welled fenders for it.IMG_4769.jpg.50b47614481ac6fe28a4f4fa7e0efedb.jpgIMG_4772.jpg.10261646a156f541d344651ac746a393.jpgIMG_4771.jpg.34a94f802820434c96c399ee6b130181.jpgIMG_4770.jpg.beb3710e3e10dea08f50ba0cd5a8c6ac.jpg

nice  --- what a tease --- I see the well fenders have the locks and hold downs --also see the wood header may still be on windshield --metal looks good -- that's a good start -- some of the pic's  have a metal piece sticking through the filler hole in the fuel tank cover is that the rt. door window frame?? --Allan

Edited by 32plywood (see edit history)
  • Like 1