1938 2 dr sedan not mine $4000 Riverhead NY

MRJBUICK

1938 Buick Special 2 door sedan model 48. this car for the most part is complete but is definitely a project car. the engine has been rebuilt, transmission work has been done, fuel tank work and new exhaust and brake work.

i took the pictures below, the day i was there about a month ago the car started and moved in and out of the garage, i did a quick inspection on the car and realized it was beyond what i was interested in. but for someone looking for a project or a drive train parts car this might be the car. i did not drive the car. as the pictures show there is alot of rust/rot damage to the trunk area. please look up the production numbers this is not a high production model. i have more pics i could email to you if you are interested, email me at mrjbuick@optonline.net

the contact info for the car is Russell 631-921-1204. the $4,000 price is about right for the price guides, dont insult the man he is not going to give the car away. this car was used by his brother before he passed away for parades, i believe the original color was dark gray the red is from a spray can.

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3767.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

The 38 two door sedans have great lines that make the hood look even longer. 

These are great road cars too... 

Add another $4-$6K and you will have a car worth much more...

'38 Buick.jpg

$10,000 for that? Where do I send the check?  ;- )

• Like 1

Just a long time rule of thumb, for every $1,000 more that you are willing to spend you average about $4,000 of avoided work.

Cars like the one listed have always been around. The price just varied with the value of the dollar. A driving but marginal car may be driven by the new owner for a few weeks, maybe a couple of months. Then a major repair surfaces and the car gets all torn apart ('cause it is cheap to do that). The lucky ones end up a rolling amateur restored chassis with many paint stripped, flash rusted, body parts included.

I wouldn't think a forum member would have something like that but they are common in the hobby.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

The 38 two door sedans have great lines that make the hood look even longer. 

These are great road cars too... 

Add another $4-$6K and you will have a car worth much more...

I hate to sound negative, but as a guy restoring a 1938 Buick Century Model 61, I can tell you that you will spend way over $6,000 to make a car in that condition a decent driver quality restored car. I bought a much rarer 1938 Century Model 67 in much better condition for a lot less that amount. I bought it for the sidemount fenders, and after reviewing the entire story about the history of the car, I could not bring myself to take the sidemounts off of the car, so I resold it to Dave Tacheny so hopefully he could get it into the hands of someone who would restore it.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I can tell you that you will spend way over $6,000 to make a car in that condition a decent driver quality restored car.

Matt,

That all depends on weather a skilled owner restores it or hires the work.  I have restored several of my cars for much less.  

Mark,

Few owners are competent to do the metal repair work needed on that car. A skilled metal worker would be needed for that job. I also don't know how long ago you last did a restoration but I don't think you can buy the materials needed for the body work, paint, rubber parts, and interior fabrics for that amount. I am not even including the cost of any rechroming in my estimate. The prices for materials are much more expensive now than they used to be.    

• Like 3

I agree with the repair problems as far as cost to repair making it prohibitive to conduct the repairs. For me with all my Buicks? I am waiting for someone to invent  a "repair robot" that can do all the work for a small fee. Yet, when they invent those robots some do-gooder will want to organize them into a Union and charge union wages. 

Mark,

There is a lot of difference in the parts and materials required for restoring a car like the 1938 Buick and a Speedster like that.  You can't compare the cost of those two restorations. I am doing my 1938 Century as inexpensively as possible doing everything myself except for some rust repair and paint. I know what the parts for the stuff I am doing on my car cost in today's market. There is no comparison between restoration cost for cars of those different eras and styles.