Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 8/14/2024 at 4:30 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

From the grille I'm guessing it to be a Ford?

Does anyone know anything about this vehicle and have photos of the entire unit or, brochures / special order catalogs other than the link I provided?

image.jpeg.86fa0986567157928a77f1ef65553bd2.jpeg

I don't know much about this particular vehicle, but I'm pretty certain it's based on 1933 Oldsmobile F33. At least the hood and grille! A six cylinder Olds would seem a bit anemic for such a large vehicle. License plate is distinctive. It might be New York for 1937. If it was 1939, it would say something about the World's Fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

91b6e6c0f694a078a1c37b783dcd7049.jpg

Thanks for posting this photo Dave. It was taken in Phoenix AZ as the camera man is standing on 5th Ave and West Van Buren St facing east towards  4th Ave.

Here's the current view. Note the blue lines point out the few features of three upper and lower windows along with the roof line that are distinguishable in your photo between the Buick and Standard signs. 

image.png.07c6720c9f83173ee797dae05470155c.png

This next Google shot is from further away showing the corner in original photo foreground. I believe Ziggys was also part of the original structure seen in the original photo where the large overhead door is.

image.png.9e20d3c97a8046f4deb25a65e2a0e9f2.png

Note the hwy signs 60 and 70 (east to Superior and Safford AZ) prior to the new freeway system

image.png.408e9f90d340190b8fb62b0953108883.png

Thankfully the building was saved.

Hemmings did a recent article on this dealership that was added to the National Register of Historical Places:
After restoration, former Phoenix auto dealership added to National Register of Historic Places | The Online Automotive Marketplace | Hemmings

photo-courtesy-city-of-phoenix-historic-preservation-office.jpg

origin-10264.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

f113b3e58b57bcaa3eb0e019396ae60f.jpg

In many junk yards they would rip out the engine and transmission, then roll the car over to drain the gas out, then take an axe and slice the gas tank and in a few days set fire to the hulk to burn out all the soft trim. All very environmentally sound.............hahaha.  OK children, can we all say superfund sight? 

• Haha 1

Some ( many) years ago at thew AACA annual meeting when it was in Philadelphia there were films shown taken in pre war years of cars being driven into wrecking yards that were 6 to 10 years old and then after the gas tank drained the cars set on fire to burn out the interior and structural wood work to then "recycle" the remaining metal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, West Peterson said:

William D. Packard and his 1900 Packard Model B

Thank you for that West P! I thought I recognized it but didn't recall for sure.

Dave M's kid cranking a model T appears to be a 1917 Ford based upon the even folding windshield hinges.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to this and also to those who view what is " new in old"

Sincere thanks to AACA and the moderators for their on going patience with this and tolerance for its size.

With over 600 pages and over 900,000 views it is obvious that vehicle period images are what many people like as much as I do.

It justifies and supports AACA's mission as a preservation of history beyond the regular activity of a car club that has shows , tours etc.

Walt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2