Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

36 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

The residential streetscapes of Detroit changed forever in the summer of 1967.  Has not been the same since.

Craig

It was an era in the 1960s when historic preservation and appreciation was not really thought of. When major landmarks in large cities (prime example  New York city) were randomly torn down for the property it took "people of influence" and fame to make a comment in protest to then see people in power ( ie politicians etc) recognize that voters would "protest" by casting votes for people interested in history and preservation . Landmarks preservation groups were started and those that existed started to have more power to say "NO" when it was hinted at by developers to "tear it down its old".  This happened in small towns , villages etc. Even here in the incorporated village I reside in- myself and some others made it known over 40 years ago that we didn't like seeing Victorian homes ripped down so two "modern" homes could be planted on the same property. Fortunately the village officials listened  ( I was told by the then Mayor - write us a law and I will see it gets passed) . A good program to see if you can find it is the show taped some years ago on the "High line" train tracks that run the length of the west side of Manhattan ( New York City) perfect example of preservation and possible reuse. Sorry for the rant everyone just an old geezer yakking - back to the car subjects..........

Walt

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Walt G said:

It was an era in the 1960s when historic preservation and appreciation was not really thought of.

Detroit is unusual in that a lot of those mansions are still standing, but hopelessly in need of repair.  And the ones that have either fallen down on their own, or got torn down are still vacant lots with little land value unlike what happened in New York.

Nearly a decade ago I was in Detroit for a CCCA board meeting ( when I belonged to that club) and we took a bus to assorted locations to see things. And indeed there were some once magnificent houses that sat abandoned or just empty lots strewn with trash where their used to be significant architecture.

I have always felt that the city with the saddest fall from Automotive glory is without a doubt Detroit. Which is why it's so important to share these photos of what a fantastic place it was at one point in our history. Hopefully we never forget those folks who worked so hard to build something we all love so much.... the American Automobile.

view

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, twin6 said:

I could sure go for a Moxie right now.  License plate looks to be Massachusetts.  I seem to recall many of these were on LaSalle chassis.  Is this one?

Moxiemobile.jpg

Looks like a LaSalle to me.

Moxie mobile has a 350 Chevy and an auto trans in it, because they didn’t have enough talent to make a perfectly fine platform run……..how sad. Typical schmucks. 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 4:20 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Caption stated the truck in the distance was a White (which is why I posted it in the stream of White trucks). 

Here's the photo for comparison so the viewer doesn't have to flip back and forth.

MacDonald & Kahn Inc also did work on the Hoover Dam, so I'm sure if one likes to dig deep into research (you know I will) then we can probably find the trucks they used and might even find the exact truck in the photo. After considering the work on the Hoover Dam this small street job must have seemed like a patch job of sorts for these men.

Historic Construction Company Project: Building the Hoover Dam

image.png.f1ac3032d5d38e6139397754f7997147.png

One of the Hoover Dam trucks has been fully restored:

2015irr002.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Ugh, I didn't see that. And it already has a bid.

Thanks for posting the link (so many don't). 

I'd be curious where the 1916 White ends up.

Looks like it has some amazing original lettering. If anyone looks at it in person some close-up shots of the lettering is a must. 
Gorgeous example of what looks to be a real survivor for the most part  with slight modifications.

36626770572_5d6363bd6c.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Just imagining the vivid lettering and paint on some of these units.

I worked with a fellow in the early 1970s who could hand letter like that. You had to use a stick usually with a felt or rubber tip to hold with one hand as a rest against the surface of the object you were lettering. Your painting hand that held the brush would rest on that stick to make you get a steady area and not let your painting arm/hand float unsteadily.  ( hope I wrote that so you can understand the stick was held at an angle not flat to the surface) I have done that on occasion but not to often. Now I do it to letter on large steel toy trucks I restore.  The same fellow I mention also taught me how to re enamel car emblems, club badges etc. using powdered glass. Another skill that really isn't taught anyplace. That fine gentleman was named Bill Orgill. Hands on - hand work - yes prehistoric in nature if compared to the press a button computer generated lettering on a sticky backed piece of vynil

Hand lettering painted signs most of the time if not all of the time uses a lettering enamel that is also used by pin stripers. Takes a considerable amount of time to dry , and  once is totally dry ( no don't put your finger on it to see if it is tacky still! !!) it is like porcelain fired enameled manifolds - very hard and durable.

• Like 3

Like these youngsters in this first photo, aye Walt?

That's how my uncle Jerry Farthing was taught. After he mastered it he would freehand. Just about every sign I remember him doing as a youngster was freehand. A true master sign painter that made it look sooo easy.

signpainteredu.jpg.1772512a64dd7eb3886d8c7317043026.jpg

He would pencil his layout free hand in what seemed like seconds, then he'd start with his verticals like this then fill in the rest depending on colors and what was dry/ready

a6b2b3aaca5b890c1218991b07847971--sign-painting-aussi.jpg

He would  even use up old salvaged wood or any masonite, plywood etc and you'd never know it from a distance until you got  close. Like this angle, you can see the imperfections up close but at a distance I'm sure this sign was beautifully done by this gent below. All these years later and I'm still in awe of what I witnessed.

R.982b5eea6ef0f10f3684f264e82422f1?rik=eZriJCo397yPKw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.franklarsonphotos.com%2fNew+York%2f032+003+crp.jpg&ehk=2%2fzZfaJfylI5j%2fA8uv8%2bNRzcv6vywyNrXUEOsgCocSs%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Like 4

5 hours ago, twin6 said:

This one is for Dave, who has posted many great truck photos for all of us to study and enjoy.

Stearns.jpg

Amazing, thanks for sharing that!

This one is from a different era and not really my cup of tea but thought it unique enough to post for others who might enjoy it.

image.png.44906277b17924e8811705e4e1355a82.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

You had to use a stick usually with a felt or rubber tip to hold with one hand as a rest against the surface of the object you were lettering. Your painting hand that held the brush would rest on that stick to make you get a steady area and not let your painting arm/hand float unsteadily.  ( hope I wrote that so you can understand the stick was held at an angle not flat to the surface)

Like this signpainter is doing:

19mcacn9986.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Amazing, thanks for sharing that!

This one is from a different era and not really my cup of tea but thought it unique enough to post for others who might enjoy it.

image.png.44906277b17924e8811705e4e1355a82.png

Dodge!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

Like this signpainter is doing

YES EXACTLY. No digital , key pressing. It is all skill , a steady hand and eye. I am happy and proud to say I still have that . ( proper paint brush and paint help too 🤩

Walt

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Like these youngsters in this first photo, aye Walt?

That's it.

And penciling in lay out free hand. Yes, for some reason some of us can just look at a photo of an image/object etc and then enlarge it by eye - no rulers etc just draw it on a larger surface  - be it a board, wall whatever . I have been asked how I can do that and really have no answer, don't think about it just do it.

• Like 2