Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1930 Lincoln Convertible Berline by Wolfington, sourced from our own AACA Library & Research Center's collection of Autobody magazines.

Autobody often did a great job of describing their featured automobiles, and this is an outstanding example from a rarely seen builder -

lots going on with contributions from multiple coachbuilders on a very sporty Lincoln Model L. The owner, D.B. Wentz, Jr. of Rydal, PA

(suburban Philadelphia) was likely connected with the Whitehall Cement Company of Cementon, PA (near Allentown), still in operation.

Make sure you take advantage of all the AACA LIbrary & Research Center's offerings, either by a personal visit, online, email or phone.

Never know what you'll find!

307AutobodyLincolnWolfingtonAACALRC1X.jpg.39c9e6623f0b2633e0aa085ae6c0779d.jpg

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

Make sure you take advantage of all the AACA LIbrary & Research Center's offerings, either by a personal visit, online, email or phone.

Excellent material at the club library of a vast variety as seen here in the page from Autobody - thanks Tom.

Tom, my son Trevor and myself attended the annual combined venture at the library/HQ in Hershey this past October. GREAT joint effort by AACA and the Society of Automotive Historians. The SAH had an author's book signing and AACA its surplus literature sale. if you didn't attend you missed a really great event. A huge number of people in attendance with lots of smiles about what was taking place. Plan to be there next year !!

Our AACA library has an enthusiastic and devoted staff who will do their very best to put you and information together about your car or truck. They are the location for many other club's  collections of material . Just have the patience that it takes to let them have some time to find everything they may have on your particular vehicle of interest.

Walt

• Like 3

On 12/9/2023 at 12:46 PM, alsancle said:

s-l1600.jpg.145276468a1bc8a48ef92c9e29b263d6.jpg

18 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

1941 Henney-Packard Model 4196 Flower Car with a faux-cabriolet roof - earlier models had a working convertible top.

Henney Hearse_0002AXx 41 Packard Flower Car.jpg

The car in the first photo appears to be a 1942 model, based on the hub caps. Of course, those could have easily been changed. Without seeing the side grilles, there's absolutely no way of knowing the difference between 1941 and 1942 other than the hub caps.

• Like 4

A great shot from a facebook page of the Wolseley team cars being prepared for the 1904 Gordon-Bennett eliminating trials on the Isle of Man.

Photo from John Timson - "My dad, John (Jack) Timson (in bowler hat, aged 24), viewing racing cars garaged in Okell's Falcon Brewery yard. As head brewer, he was on the committee that organised the first Gordon Bennett racing trials on the Island back in 1904."

The cars are from right -

"#10 Sidney Girling, 72hp Wolseley Racer

#7 Campbell Muir, 96hp Wolseley Beetle

#12 Charles Jarrott, 96hp Wolseley Beetle

Girling and Jarrott were selected, along with Selwyn Edge (Napier) to race for Great Britain in Germany - finishing 9th, 12th and DNF respectively."

I have added some links with more relevant information relating to the 1904 event.

History - Auto racing 1894-1942 | Page 334 | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

Just A Car Guy: a glimpse of Gordon Bennett trophy racing in 1904

Info in this link gives engine bore and stroke figures of 6" x 6" (11.1 litres - 678 cid) for the 72 hp model and 6" x 6 1/2" 12.5 litres - 763 cid) for the 96 hp. The engines were horizontally opposed fours. 

Wolseley Beetles - TNF's Archive - The Autosport Forums

24313085_10213564195766901_8582739405380233265_o.jpg

gb 3.JPG

1904 gordon bennett the british team jarrott girling edge.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_4030.webp

1931 Plymouth model Pa sedan. My first car was the 4 door version and I loved it. Eventually had to sell it because I got to tall to drive it, legs to long and the seat was moved back as far as possible. All steel body, juice brakes, peppy 4 cyl engine - loved it then and still love them now.

• Like 5

On 12/11/2023 at 12:42 PM, MetroPetro said:

IMG_4007.jpeg

Sure looks like a 1911 Buick Model 41 Limousine body. Only 27 produced.

The front has more of a 1910 Buick look with a Brass radiator. With the straight flat rear fenders it may have had the body put on a 1910 model 17 chassis.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, TG57Roadmaster said:

I wish I lived there.  A thorough look through that library would be an 8-hour day, 7-day a week job for a good year or more to see and read everything in full!!!

Craig

• Like 3