Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

This photo from a post above reminds me that quite a few electric trucks were sold in New Zealand. The Christchurch Municipal Electricity Department promoted them for quite a few years.

This one is sign written for the dairy company at Rongotea, a small rural town in the lower North Island. I suspect the photo may have been taken in Latimer Sqaure in Christchurch before the truck was shipped to them.

nlnzimage(3).jpg.8e7ee15fcd4f489fba162a3

Canterbury Heritage: Early Christchurch Electric Vehicles

One Walker has survived and is on display in the local electricity supplier's head office. I took this photo of it at an event in 1984.

Electric truck a heritage treasure | Christchurch City Libraries Ngā Kete Wānanga o Ōtautahi

Walker resize.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

See my post above for thew origins of the photo. Apparently a 1915 Model 48 or 66. Maybe a suburban body?

Looks like a 66 from the height of the hood--just below the cowl vent.  Likely 1915 (Series 3) but could be Series 4 (1916-17); hard to determine without the body side moulding.

2 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Way better than the plastic modern cars and plastic people of today! 

AMEN. 

It was a era of classy cars, classy ladies , gentlemen ( note the chauffeur just behind the hood of the car and to the right the two fellows in fedoras) and manners from proper upbringing . People were articulate, and most of the time thought before they spoke. Not so many opinions about everything, and everyone. Few self proclaimed "experts". Plus all the engineering to create things was done on paper with pencils and erasers, and a slide rule. The pace was slower and that was not a bad thing, it allowed you time to stop and smell the roses - or polish the fender.................

Edited by Walt G
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great platform to build truly beautiful bodies on. Too bad they never were much fun to drive. Harry Miller’s attempts for road worthy automobiles never worked out.

Yes, I agree 100 percent. Overly cramped, and some engineering issues to overcome. We designed new worms for the Gemmer 215 series box so they would steer easier.......you ended up with more steering wheel rotation, but when we were done it improved drivability significantly. We also made right had drive worms......and they all sold quite well. Unfortunately most people didn't sign up for a kit on the shelf........and years later we still keep getting calls to do the project again. Just parts alone today would run 7k or more.....

• Like 6

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

CAR WASH.........

327959549_1000370297521070_2816035304432586843_n.jpg

Highly speculative but interesting photo.

Could be anything from someone who lost control or was distracted, to someone thinking a road used to be there, or maybe a crime scene. 

The suits (press or detectives?) make me think it's a crime scene.