Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

11 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.61cc4666ae7b0a93203525b22339e8ec.png

That's the Hupmobile Model N that visited every US state capitol on the 1916-17 Hupp "United America" tour. I have been gathering pictures of that car, but I don't believe I have come across the one you posted before.

view

default.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

This shows the structural body framing for the Fabric body made by Meritas , that were a product of the Standard Textile Products Company who had their main offices at 320 Broadway in New York City. They issued two sales /promotional catalogs in 1924 that showed and explained their products and noted the bodies that they had designed and built. A Packard was used to demonstrate how well made and trouble free the bodies were and did a 20,000 mile trip ( on 1924 roads!)

the early 1920s was a period when many soldiers had returned from Europe where they were in the Great War ( later known as WWI) and these service men had $ they had earned and all needed transportation so car sales after a brief recession soared.

MERITASstructurakl.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

That's the Hupmobile Model N that visited every US state capitol on the 1916-17 Hupp "United America" tour. I have been gathering pictures of that car, but I don't believe I have come across the one you posted before.

view

default.jpg

Here is a better look at that Hupmobile Model N at speed on tour.

'16-'17 Hupmobile Model N - 1916-17 Hupp United America tour every US state capitol.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 28anut said:

I learned during a tour of the South, that the main floor of the house (Living rooms, Parlors, & Dining) were located either raised as in the picture or on the second floor of the house because of the dust created by horses and buggies.  They could open the windows for ventilation with out all the dust.

Thanks! That also explains why basement apartments were cheaper. 

Bob 

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

view

I have a running board mounted trunk almost identical to the lower one on this Hupmobile! Very nice original condition, covered in original long grain top material. I have used it on several of my cars over the years, and hope to use it again some day. I always believed it to be from the 1920s, however given this photograph I think I need to adjust my estimate for it.

My thanks to all who post these wonderful photos!

• Like 2

Bloo, If you are asking about the top trunk sitting on top of the other running board trunk? It also appears to be meant for a running board mount. If you look closely at the bottom of the bottom trunk, almost directly below the flip latch on the forward end, you should be able to see a small something draping its way over the outer edge of the running board. That I am fairly sure is the running board clamp, a bent steel sort of a very deep short C-clamp. If it is like mine, it is permanently affixed to the bottom of the trunk, and the underside has a thumb-bolt to clamp against the underside of the running board to keep it in place. There should be two such mounting clamps on the trunk, one on each end, a few inches in from the end.

I can't tell for sure because of the shadows. But it looks to me that the top trunk is sitting back a ways, and the rearward mounting clamp is over the end edge of the lower trunk, allowing it to sit all the way down onto the top of the lower trunk. The forward mounting clamp however, is sitting fully on top of the lower trunk! The folded over half inch thick steel bar coupled with the necessary over an inch opening to fit over and below the running board itself raises the forward end more than two inches, relative to the lower sitting rear end of the top trunk. Hence, the slope.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bloo said:

That could certainly explain it, but I remain convinced it is a sloping trunk. I have better pictures of this car and I will try to find them. I have always wondered what sort of a sloping item might be inside.

6 hours ago, Bloo said:

9XDelPR.jpg

You are sure correct about that being a sloping trunk! This clearer photo shows that fact very well. I too now wonder what it may have been made for? Camera equipment is a good possibility.

• Like 1