Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Twenty-one automobile manufacturers presented their new models at New York's 1938 National Automobile Show - 18 of which were illustrated in the official program's spotters guide. Not shown are the Arrowbile, FIAT and Talbot-Royal.  Literally, Pierce-Arrow's last stand at an auto show.

A 10/29/37 New York Times item noted that the new 1938 Ford, Lincoln-Zephyr and Lincoln models were exhibited in FoMoCo’s NYC showrooms at 1710 Broadway (54th & B’way).

906198196_38NewYorkAutoShow4TX.jpg.6cd7448dcf0b9303502bea0a702155ab.jpg

Pontiac's "Jewel Case" exhibit included a cutaway that preceded the marque's 1939-40 Plexiglas World's Fair cars.

2136356459_38PontiacCutawayJewelCaseNewYork1.jpg.6035379e20865c5e54851ba3f544ac47.jpg

https://libwww.freelibrary.org/digital/item/42932

The 1938 show was called "Putting The World On Wheels" - in this British Pathé short, see the show's amazing Streamline Moderne displays and decoration of New York's Grand Central Palace...

Thrill, at the spinning, twirling Chevrolet Chassis! - Marvel, at the new Spirit of Motion "Sharknose" Graham! - Amaze, at the Studebaker President that "opens like a candy box!" 

TG

• Like 4

16 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Years ago I'd seen an old French car magazine (can't recall the name) that was filled with spectacular cars and one in particular had the very shiney rims as the first car you posted. Have always wondered what they were called back in the day and if was strictly a Mercedes thing

Here is a image from a multi page catalog issued by the Ace Company in England that made them for many cars. They were fitted to European and American cars ( mostly ones that made it to England) to cover over wire and wood wheels. Many were polished but some were also painted to match the body/fender color. The discs were fitted to the both sides of the wheel, inside and out.  The original sales catalog I have in my collection mentions specifically they were fitted to Buicks often due to the very active Buick sales agent in London .

ACEwheelDISCMinerva1929.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Coal delivery to the home, how many generations never got to see this? 

1930 Ford Model AA Dump Truck 004.jpg

I'll admit I've never seen coal actually delivered to a home in a residential neighborhood, though many older homes I do remember still had a coal chute still in place.  

Craig

17 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

s-l1600.jpg

The very sporting roadster is not one I recognise. I don't think it is a Mercer ? Also those rear tires on the truck are huge, and the rear wheels themselves look very unusual. The truck itself isn't that large , a 2 ton perhaps . But those are tires I would expect to see on a 5 ton or larger.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

And last but not least

Is this Lincoln a full CCCA classic? modifications must have been done pre WWII . Hey it has a custom body!

One for the CCCA classification committee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Note how high up the 3 fellows are sitting in the P.O. wagon.  Era before "seat belts" maybe even parachutes....................

Also note the trolley tracks in the cobble stone paved roadway. Must have been an interesting ride over the cobble stones with the solid tire and wood wheels.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1