Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Can you do that with any old faded picture?

Ben

Ben,

Depends on how badly and evenly the image is faded.  Also depends on the sharpness quality of the original image.  Some are very overexposed but still have details that can't be raised until that overexposure is back off.   Gray scaling, since these are originally black and white images removes problems as modern scanners interprets the image when digitizing it.  I use the basic free, shareware available for download at www.irfanview.com.  It's easy to use which is a big plus, give it a try.

Steve 

Buffalo Bill Cody in a White steamer.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
added image (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A better look at the Fairhaven Fire Department:

Fairhaven Fire Dept - 1920's.png

Second from left looks to be a Buick Model D light commercial chassis.

Next to it a Pope-Hartford. Did they make commercial chassis or is it just a beefed-up touring car?

In the middle looks to be an American LaFrance 'proper' fire engine. I wonder if it is the more common Type 12 pumper with the 5 1/2" x 6" 855 cid six, of which quite a few remain, or might it be the big Type 15 pumper which used a 7 1/8" x 8" 1915 cid six. The model is mentioned in my 1914 Floyd Clymer book but I have never actually seen a photo of one of these in service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A better look at the Fairhaven Fire Department:

Fairhaven Fire Dept - 1920's.png

Fairhaven, Mass. is only about 10 miles from my house.  I couldn't find the exact location for the old firehouse, but they did buy new fire engines and eventually built a new firehouse for the pre-WWII engines.  It's a great old town to visit, just off I-195 on the South Coast of Massachusetts, next to New Bedford.  Here are later photos of the Fairhaven Fire Department.

Fairhaven_1949station.jpg.f11171fbb2eb06c5de8805641a9eb2c7.jpg

Even in 1949, some older engines.  What is the truck/car on the right?  Same firehouse as earlier.

1208233636_Fairhavenold_trucks_1970s.jpg.75b76d90d6f1514fdbf459a19bc50a57.jpg

The Fairhaven Fire Department in its newer home.  I think that's a 1970-ish Olds station wagon on the right, but some of the engines are much older.

Here is a link to some of the engines from the past to the present:

https://www.fairhaven-ma.gov/fairhaven-fire-department/about-ffd/pages/equipment

Edited by Gary_Ash
added link (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Fairhaven, Mass. is only about 10 miles from my house.  I couldn't find the exact location for the old firehouse, but they did buy new fire engines and eventually built a new firehouse for the pre-WWII engines.  It's a great old town to visit, just off I-195 on the South Coast of Massachusetts, next to New Bedford.  Here are later photos of the Fairhaven Fire Department.

Fairhaven_1949station.jpg.f11171fbb2eb06c5de8805641a9eb2c7.jpg

Even in 1949, some older engines.  What is the truck/car on the right?  Same firehouse as earlier.

1208233636_Fairhavenold_trucks_1970s.jpg.75b76d90d6f1514fdbf459a19bc50a57.jpg

The Fairhaven Fire Department in its newer home.  I think that's a 1970-ish Olds station wagon on the right, but some of the engines are much older.

Here is a link to some of the engines from the past to the present:

https://www.fairhaven-ma.gov/fairhaven-fire-department/about-ffd/pages/equipment

Car on the right in the Washington St Station is a 39 Ford Standard

40 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A mystery 1933 Dodge. The car has right hand drive but from what I can see its registration plate looks North American. 

I think the car is one of the Canadian-built, Plymouth-based Dodges.

Does the phone number code look familiar to anybody?

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says 'BRITISH CAB EL.4177 SERVICE'

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states in the 1933 Dodge section:

"The all-new Series DP Dodge Six was introduced on November 23, 1932, as a 1933 model. "..."Dodge DP Sixes built from November 1932 to April 1933 had a 111 1/4 in. wheelbase.  Those made after April 1933 had a 115-inch wheelbase.  The two types of DP Sixes are considered separate series, although factory records combine the body style production total of both.

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

Unknown Car From a British Website.........
(being chain-driven may give one a clue, my guess is a 1904 Locomobile Model "C")
spacer.png

I don't know the make but the J registration says the location is Durham in the north of England. The lower run of the drive chain appears to be obscured by the part of what looks to be a double sprag. There doesn't look to be a brake on the rear wheel, maybe it relied on the cardan shaft brake?

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Also searched this thread for Bugatti Type 23 but did not find it so here's a look at one in case we've missed it...

R.549dbe476f951f426260ca5ee04f0585?rik=%2bZ1Y9I32kf%2b47Q&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.car-revs-daily.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f10%2fT13-1911-Friederich.jpg&ehk=X%2bM1L6oAnefe%2bOvwxZVoNMMruaZL%2fmO%2bRFu3YSSZ7m4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

That is the Type 13 Bugatti in which he was second in the 1911 French Grand Prix, the first important competition outing for any Bugatti car. That GP was not organised by the l'ACF but by the Auto Club de la Sarthe et de l'Ouest and run on a 54km course at LeMans. Victor Hemery in an S61 Fiat won outright completing seven laps of the circuit in 7 hours and six minutes and 30 seconds and the Bugatti was flagged off ten minutes - at two laps(!) - behind him. The rest of the field were one or more laps behind the Bugatti.   Lots more here, including doubt about the actual identity of the driver.  1911 French Grand Prix - The Nostalgia Forum - The Autosport Forums

Bugatti Type 13 - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 9:30 AM, jeff_a said:

Unknown Car From a British Website.........
(being chain-driven may give one a clue, my guess is a 1904 Locomobile Model "C" based on the picture of a car Geronimo was posed in)
spacer.png

From Vintman - "Research advises another website has same photo stating car is in front of King Edward VII bridge under construction in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The bridge was designed by a Charles Harrison of the North Eastern Railway comprising four lattice steel spans resting on concrete piers and was opened by the King in July 1906. Car is c1904 Gladiator 10HP Rear Entrance Tonneau." 

With its Durham registration the car is about 20 miles from home.

• Like 1