Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Regarding the photos of the Wills Sainte Claire with the E&J headlights.  Yesterday I photographed the red 1923 Wills Sainte Claire in a museum in Leadville, Colorado.  The B&W photo of the E&J lights on the Wills also shows there is something that is unidentified between the headlights, in front of the radiator.  The '23 Wills here in Colorado does not have the E&J lights, and has nothing in front of the radiator.  Does anyone know what the unidentified object is on the black-and-white Wills?

Wills Sainte Claire.jpg

Wills Sainte Claire detail.jpg

23 Wills Sainte Claire National Mining Museum Leadville CO 04-07.JPG

23 Wills Sainte Claire National Mining Museum Leadville CO 02-07.JPG

9 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Regarding the photos of the Wills Sainte Claire with the E&J headlights.  Yesterday I photographed the red 1923 Wills Sainte Claire in a museum in Leadville, Colorado.  The B&W photo of the E&J lights on the Wills also shows there is something that is unidentified between the headlights, in front of the radiator.  The '23 Wills here in Colorado does not have the E&J lights, and has nothing in front of the radiator.  Does anyone know what the unidentified object is on the black-and-white Wills?

Wills Sainte Claire.jpg

Wills Sainte Claire detail.jpg

23 Wills Sainte Claire National Mining Museum Leadville CO 04-07.JPG

23 Wills Sainte Claire National Mining Museum Leadville CO 02-07.JPG

The black and white Wills has a winterfront over the radiator and possibly a pancake horn or badge attached to the headlamp bar.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 11:37 AM, twin6 said:

T cigars.jpg

stretch t.jpg

A couple of interesting model Ts. The second one is particularly interesting. It appears to be right hand driven, unless the photo has been flipped. Zooming in as close as detail and my computer skills would allow, the hub caps were not conclusive. However, then I noticed I could just barely make out the oil petcock used to check oil level. From this angle, that can only be seen from the right hand side of the car. Photo is correct. I had previously noticed the fork mounted electric headlamps, and louvered hood. Being an after-market body, it was probably originally sold as a chassis only, and could have been with or without fenders. Headlamps could be Ford factory, or after-market. Some chassis were sold with the earlier style firewall until 1917. Side oil lamps are clearly 1915, horn could be correct for Canadian cars, 1915 or earlier. Canadian cars did have the fork mounted electric headlamps in 1915, USA built Ts never had the fork mounted electric lamps from Ford's factory, although some did get them as after-market items. Spark and throttle levers and quadrant appear to be early '15 (an otherwise unusual combination).

The car appears to be a Canadian built, right hand driven, chassis with after-market body. 

Pay particular attention to the curved rear fender. The '15/'16 rear fender curved around the wheel, unlike the earlier models that (mostly) had rear fenders that went back flat on the back/top. Unlike the much more common '17 through '25 rear fenders which have a "crown" or "compound curve", the '15/'16 is a "flat curve" (no compound curve or crown). Most people believe that 1915 was the first year for Ford to use the flat curved rear fender. But that is not correct. Then when prompted, they will recall the 1911 torpedo roadster (and open roadster) which had curved fenders with longer sweeps on both front and rear. (Beating the 1915 by a bit over four years.)

However, the other model T that had a flat curved rear fender along with the standard flat front fender is the "open" or "mother-in-law" or "business" roadster for 1912 (beating the '15 for first by fully three years). That is what the upper photo is (probably the business roadster). While at a glance, the rear fender appears just like the 1915/'16 rear fender, the inner skirt is quite different. The commercial box is interesting, and they were manufactured by numerous companies in many styles. The car is an early 1912. Zooming in, I can clearly see the early style two-piece firewall which was being replaced by the one-piece style along about December of 1911 and January of '12.

Details, details.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Stupid mistake! Good to be able to correct it. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Thanks, I knew I was looking at something I should know what it was.   Very late in the Locomobile game - a shame they could not hang on longer. 

It might also be a 1928 Locomobile 8-80 or 1929 Model 80, 86 or 88 on a 130" wheelbase, Lycoming 298.6 ci 4HL or HDL.  A four passenger Collegiate Coupe is listed in the Standard Catalog by Clark and Kimes.   At 1,112 cars for 1928 and 327 for 1929, one wonders how they kept the light on as long as they did. 

If Billy Durant could just have focused his interest on auto-making...

• Like 1