1963 Riviera Console Duct?

XframeFX

1963 Consoles, are they supposed to have the cardboard duct pictured? I don't remember from 25 years ago. I have one from a '65 Riviera (poor images I know). It fits even with the fat Dynaflow shifter but the hose for the drivers vent is partially blocked by the duct. Fitting the console is hap-hazard enough without the duct. All a tight fit.

A forum search and chassis manual is of no help on this.

Thanks,

John B.

DSC03203.JPG

DSC03204.JPG

Well, they are supposed to have a cardboard duct although it is likely to be different than in a ‘65 as the console is slightly different. I renovated the ‘63 I had in the late ‘70s and remember I had to put it back, it wasn’t that hard. Sorry no pictures and the only page where it is documented in the chassis manual, p11-26, isn’t so good.

the console is certainly a piece of engineering. I have taken them out quite a few times, and would love to find a nos black console for my 64. The duct should be carefully laid out and carefully connected as to seal the heat flow to the two rear vents. all of the gen 1 cars had the duct

2 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

I wonder if Repops, Inc. has tested creating new replacement center console duct assemblies. This looks like something that would be right up their alley.

I agree, but the way that e drive our cars these days, it's really not needed.  I think that a good DIY guy could recreate one of these out of some sheet aluminum and coat it with something to insulate it and quiet it.  As mentioned earlier, the paper ones have a tendency to loose their shape.

• Like 1

Besides supplying heat to the rear seat passengers it ALSO supplies heat to the drivers left leg. One of the diff. between '63 & '64-'65 is that the duct directs heat directly on the middle part of your shin in '63.  Whereas the '64-'65 has a louver over it to direct the heat down to help keep from getting too hot & burning your leg.

Tom T.

AAH, Section 11 page 26 of the "SHOP Manual" - the HVAC section. Thanks Jan. I looked in the "CHASSIS Manual" and as you all know, a chintzy 9 sections at the back is for 4700s. The Shop Manual shows the duct and shifter vaguely but no console. So, all 1st Gen Rivieras were built with a console duct.

All I remember before marriage and kids when I 'freely' worked on my '63 and the parts car, neither had this contraption. I didn't know it existed. Thing is, as evident with broken tabs that engage (or, do not) with the dashboard, previous owners messed with the console. They probably struggled with trial & error on re-installation that they discovered they missed the duct but called it 'good' in frustration!

Yes, don't really need it but this project has vexed OCD on me! It's a '65 duct in good shape and was part of a larger purchase for my ST-400 swap. It turns out, I don't need most of it. What I do need out of that LD Purchase is junk -  except this duct. So, I'm using it, absolutely and unlike those tabs, fits like a glove.

BTW, I've found mounting the '65 shifter inside a stripped '63 shifter 5/8" higher makes it work with the original console. It is still preliminary but, I wish I knew that before I bought that bundle for $$$.

Now, apart my struggle with those tabs, I have 4 brackets sitting in the glovebox for 29 years and 3 holes on each side for 6. This does not include the single slanted vertical hole at the back in the waterfall below the courtesy light. The hump has 2 holes at this location. Think I'm missing a bracket.

Front ashtray light is missing, just a cut wire with no clue how that worked. Still looking to resolve my missing chrome push-button on that junk '65 shifter I bought online.

Hmm, maybe lower my expectations and move on.

Thanks All,

John B.

John B,

That cigar lighter is feed by the gray wire that feeds light to the Shifter bulb when you put the parking lights on so you could splice off of that wire IF the wire is missing completely.  I have the holder/bracket for the cigar lighter IF needed.

Tom T.

When I did the heater core in my ‘63 I refurbished the cardboard ducting with a glue called Weldbond. Used it to seal any gaps in the cardboard and to strengthen any areas that were suspect. Dries clear and is very strong and seals. I was happy I did that, knowing that it will last a long long time.

Its nice also to feed heat into the rear even when only one or two up as it creates a more even distribution around the cabin. Worth the effort.

just my two bobs worth. 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

Thanks all on my console duct. All these years I was unaware of the cardboard contraption. Thought the Console itself was what directed the flow to the rear vents.

The console is becoming a project in itself. The crusty leatherette inlays restores nicely with cleaning and touching up the peeled-up corners with contact cement and clamping. No need to replace.

John B.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:29 AM, RivNut said:

What is the exchange rate for a bob nowdays?

Hi Ed,

Current exchange rate is US$0.000000000067854c to every AUS$. Or it seems that way when you buy from the US.

Whatever it is it is not good ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Move the decimal point another digit to left for the Canadian Dollar. I hate cross border shopping, we have no buying power it seems. UPS not our friend. USPS - reasonable. Vendor quote: " Free shipping to the lower 48 with purchases over $100" - ya. right!

I try to source locally. It turns out the friendly Cardone Warehouse people alerted me that of all the Cardone Warehouses in North America, Only in Edmonton they have the Nailhead AC Water Pump and Wiper Motor. Curious if they're going to re-stock now that  I cleaned them out.

Now trying to source the 'tight' roller timing chain set on this side of the border. I wonder what manufacturer it is?

In the old days, didn't have Google, didn't need it. I simply visited the most competitive jobber store and purchased or ordered almost anything!

John B.