1953 V8 OIL FILTER COLOR & OTHER ??

FRED TIP

I am restoring a 1953 Buick Skylark and had the engine rebuilt.  The rebuilder painted the engine in the correct Buick Green color, but we will be repainting it, as want a better finish.  One question that I have: What is the correct color of the Oil Filter Assembly. (Rebuilder didn't know, so he painted it green).  See 1st picture with oil filter circled in yellow.  Should the housing have a decal?

Additional Questions: We have the spark plug tins and have already replaced the short red hose on the Transmission filler tube with a black hose, as well as removing the red paint and then buffing the top cover of the tube, which I feel is correct.   We removed the aviation hose clamps from this short hose, but I am not sure if those clamps are the Tower type.  On my 1954 Buick restoration we used another type - see 2nd picture. Any ides if this is the correct clamp? (Our 1954 Buick took a 1st place (400 points) at the Buick National Meet at Charlotte a few years ago and there was no mention of incorrect hose clamps on the transmission tube, so this should be correct (??).  Last picture shows the Transmission Filler Tube, dip stick, short hose & clamps, which we want to be correct.

Oil Filter.jpg

Transmission Tube Hose Clamps.jpg

Filler Tube Hose.jpg

On your 54, it should be the tower-type clamps.  The judges missed that one.  I don't know of '53, but if they are the same, I have spare 54s I could let go of.  PM me if interested.

Oil filter and housing should be painted engine green, with the logic that the engine was first painted at the factory before being put on a test stand and run - when it would certainly need an oil filter attached.

1 hour ago, FRED TIP said:

I am restoring a 1953 Buick Skylark and had the engine rebuilt.  The rebuilder painted the engine in the correct Buick Green color, but we will be repainting it, as want a better finish.  One question that I have: What is the correct color of the Oil Filter Assembly. (Rebuilder didn't know, so he painted it green).  See 1st picture with oil filter circled in yellow.  Should the housing have a decal?

Additional Questions: We have the spark plug tins and have already replaced the short red hose on the Transmission filler tube with a black hose, as well as removing the red paint and then buffing the top cover of the tube, which I feel is correct.   We removed the aviation hose clamps from this short hose, but I am not sure if those clamps are the Tower type.  On my 1954 Buick restoration we used another type - see 2nd picture. Any ides if this is the correct clamp? (Our 1954 Buick took a 1st place (400 points) at the Buick National Meet at Charlotte a few years ago and there was no mention of incorrect hose clamps on the transmission tube, so this should be correct (??).  Last picture shows the Transmission Filler Tube, dip stick, short hose & clamps, which we want to be correct.

Oil Filter.jpg

Transmission Tube Hose Clamps.jpg

Filler Tube Hose.jpg

hi, I have a nos AC cannister oil filter housing that your buick 322 uses also, not same color as any GM engine but Cadillac blue being the closest. the filter housing has the correct decal too. I get out to my shed tomorrow and get pictures for you.

Thanks Fr. Buick,  I was thinking the same thing and I have some tower-type clamps that I will install on this hose, as well as changing the hose clamps on my '54.  Do you know if the oil filter had a decal on the side?

Also if the engine was run on a test stand, should the fuel pump and water pump also be engine green? I feel certain that the water pump would be engine green, but I have seen engine pictures of many Skylarks and about 50%  of the fuel pumps were natural cast, not painted (and these on expensive restorations).  I just checked pictures of my 1954 Buick and the fuel pump was definitely engine green.  I seem to recall checking into this at the time, so after my original fuel pump is rebuilt, it will be painted to match the engine.  See attached picture of my 1954 Buick engine that clearly shows the fuel pump to be green.

Fred

54B.Eng.RH1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pontiac 1953.  I am looking forward to seeing these pictures.  Cars  in NJ, and Bob's Buick have a lot of decals and may have these, but we are quite a few weeks (probably months) before we get to that point..

Always a pleasure to get information from this site and all of the help received is greatly appreciated.

Fred

Yes, the oil filter canister originally had orange ACDelco stenciling.  I think CARS and Bob's sell decals that reproduce the look.  The water pump definitely would be painted. The fuel pump probably also, although I have never seen remnants of paint on one.  It makes sense that it would be, but I like the look of a clean fuel pump...

The starter motor and the distributer were also installed prior to painting, but they were blocked off from the painting process, so only had a bit of over-spray on them.  Maybe, the fuel pump was the same...  That's the theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Nice work you are doing!!

2 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Yes, the oil filter canister originally had orange ACDelco stenciling.  I think CARS and Bob's sell decals that reproduce the look.  The water pump definitely would be painted. The fuel pump probably also, although I have never seen remnants of paint on one.  It makes sense that it would be, but I like the look of a clean fuel pump...

The starter motor and the distributer were also installed prior to painting, but they were blocked off from the painting process, so only had a bit of over-spray on them.  Maybe, the fuel pump was the same...  That's the theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Nice work you are doing!!

having owned every make of general motors brand from Cadillac down to Chevrolet, I've never seen a AC fuel pump painted the engine color, that's my 47 years experience of owning over 100 vehicles of the 1950s up to the year 2000. 

• Like 1

The fuel pump was painted engine color, as were fuel and vacuum lines.

9 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

That's the theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Think about it:  these engines were assembled and run on a test stand then painted; everything necessary to run the engine was on it and nothing was removed after the run...only some accessories were added and those were a different color.  Even things like the power steering pump bracket was engine color since installing it after a run meant opening a water cavity and that seal could not be tested.  Engine paint showed up on the lower distributor and carb base and sometimes event the whole starter was painted.  The valley cover was partially painted...that is why most are rusted in the middle under the intake manifold.  Lack of paint on the fuel pump means that it probably was changed after 3 years (normal service life) or that it had assembly lube that kept the paint from sticking.

Installing a freshly painted engine from the 1950's in a show car today would result in deduction at any car show.

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

The fuel pump was painted engine color . . . engines were assembled and run on a test stand then painted; everything necessary to run the engine was on it and nothing was removed after the run . . .

Pure B.S. according to the late-Dave Corbin. Fuel pumps were not necessary the way and when Buick test-ran their engines. A plate was used to block off the fuel pump hole during the test-run process.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

Ok, here's my nos AC canister oil filter housing that has never been used yet. It don't matter if the engine is Buick green, Oldsmobile green, or Pontiac bluish green, the same AC filter housing is this color, same idea applies to Chevy orange.

20200106_123518.jpg

What is the hard line screwed into the bottom?  I have not seen a hard line on the canister body.  

3 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Who added that?  I have not seen one like this. 

that's the way it came, the original AC box it came in was in pretty poor shape, I've seen other cannister with a drain plug. I like having a plug instead so i'll most likely change the valve for a plug.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 1953mack said:
5 hours ago, old-tank said:

The fuel pump was painted engine color . . . engines were assembled and run on a test stand then painted; everything necessary to run the engine was on it and nothing was removed after the run . . .

Pure B.S. according to the late-Dave Corbin. Fuel pumps were not necessary the way and when Buick test-ran their engines. A plate was used to block off the fuel pump hole during the test-run process.

I knew David Corbin. David Corbin was my friend.  We settled this very topic after a long discussion over some beers.  My statement is not B.S. (pure or otherwise):lol:

Pictures I have seen of nailheads running on test stands had the fuel pump in place and according to David Corbin they were run on gasoline with many fires.  Later engine were run on natural gas and now they are just pressure tested.

15 minutes ago, old-tank said:

I knew David Corbin. David Corbin was my friend.  We settled this very topic after a long discussion over some beers.  My statement is not B.S. (pure or otherwise):lol:

Pictures I have seen of nailheads running on test stands had the fuel pump in place and according to David Corbin they were run on gasoline with many fires.  Later engine were run on natural gas and now they are just pressure tested.

It would make sense to me the fuel pump would be installed and remain with the engine after run in.  Makes no sense or logic to install a pump, run the engine and then remove the pump.  All dollars and cents. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:41 PM, FRED TIP said:

. . . I just checked pictures of my 1954 Buick and the fuel pump was definitely engine green.  I seem to recall checking into this at the time, so after my original fuel pump is rebuilt, it will be painted to match the engine . . . 

Don't do it just yet. This thread will become interesting and will change your mind.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

22 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

that's the way it came, the original AC box it came in was in pretty poor shape, I've seen other cannister with a drain plug. I like having a plug instead so i'll most likely change the valve for a plug.

Cannister with a drain plug, blue,  is that for 1957-58 Brougham?

Tom Pettersen

BCA#8163

If I were to ever restore a ‘54, I would limit the painting of the fuel pump to heavy overspray (somewhat the same as the lower part of the distributor).  The 1954 Factory Information manual clearly calls out for it not to be painted but I personally have seen at least two  for sure original factory pumps with an abundance of green paint. Oddly, the fuel lines on one of those engines were unpainted and the other painted.  You may want to check back on the 1954 Buick Forum Fred, I believe the engine bay paint thread is pinned to the top. 

068EF7CB-5F51-41B1-9446-CA33A20A75F7.jpeg.c6aed2885ef0f54db0bd5b08444e370a.jpeg

759FDE8F-25B1-48A6-9EA4-30EB4D4030C9.jpeg.8d49f6b15787f3c18eabdb275fe3d355.jpeg

F4ACF5D5-A41C-4F73-82CF-BD454662EDAD.jpeg.967431a1f1d7e730f7521b3cd971674d.jpeg

81C026C8-BA25-41A7-A5AD-CC573D92FB30.jpeg.6d841aba1524fac5f909a87b81993980.jpeg

edit) this FI manual also calls for the starter not to be painted but  Every original starter I’ve ever seen was painted. Starter solenoids were masked off, no paint. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:36 PM, old-tank said:

Interesting comment to say the least. Care to share with Fred, myself and all others and elaborate on your discussion with Dave as to the following?

(1)  Did the discussion occur before you painted your 1955 66C’s fuel pump green in the mid-1990s (prior to the 1997 BCA  St. Louis-Missouri Nationals)? If after, an approximate year would be helpful.

255480949_1-Williesgreenfuelpump.thumb.jpg.39548d87c52a71ace4433d7f23f81f27.jpg

This picture was taken from your website.

(2)  The topic of this Thread is about details on Fred’s 1953 Buick V-8 engine. Are you saying that the painted-green fuel pump might be a 1955-only item and doesn’t pertain to the 1953 or 1954 Buick V-8 engine fuel pumps?

(3)  After your discussion with Dave, what was and remains today as to your understanding of what years Buick used gasoline and what years Buick used natural gas (not methane) to test their engines?

(4)  What made Dave change his mind (contrary to Buick documents . . . one of them pictured in another post above) to agree with you to say that Buick fuel pumps were painted green by the Engine Assembly Group after they were tested?

I will respond to your and other posts above. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

On 1/7/2020 at 1:01 PM, MrEarl said:

If I were to ever restore a ‘54, I would limit the painting of the fuel pump to heavy overspray (somewhat the same as the lower part of the distributor).  The 1954 Factory Information manual clearly calls out for it not to be painted but I personally have seen at least two  for sure original factory pumps with an abundance of green paint. Oddly, the fuel lines on one of those engines were unpainted and the other painted.  You may want to check back on the 1954 Buick Forum Fred, I believe the engine bay paint thread is pinned to the top. 

759FDE8F-25B1-48A6-9EA4-30EB4D4030C9.jpeg.8d49f6b15787f3c18eabdb275fe3d355.jpeg

In reality engine paint was slopped on with paint where it was "forbidden" and some areas were missed.  The above document proves that the fuel pump was installed.

23 years, Al?

The finished car was shown at the '97 meet and our discussion was probably prior in the hospitality room at the Buicks and Bluebonnets meet where I showed my envelope of pictures for the 7 years prior.  In addition to David, I consulted with notable restorers Gary Walker and Art Wright.  That along with evidence of paint on the vacuum connections at the fuel pump on unrestored cars.  The 1988 tour of the engine plant natural gas (methane?) was used; at the  2003 tours engines were pressure tested.  It may have been at one or both of the engine plant tours that we were told of gasoline used in the past.

As a judge I never deducted for an unpainted fuel pump, but did for polished stainless steel fuel and vacuum lines that were missing paint (one point).  That is the same point loss I had for plain vs cad plated grease fittings.  (got a big laugh out of that(.

23 years, Al?  Let it go..

• Thanks 1

I

personally have seen at least two  for sure original factory pumps with an abundance of green paint. Oddly, the fuel lines on one of those engines were unpainted and the other painted. 

Quite possible there was an issue at break-in and the line was replaced at that time.  No paint.  

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:54 PM, old-tank said:

. . . The above document proves that the fuel pump was installed . . . 23 years . . . along with evidence of paint on the vacuum connections at the fuel pump on unrestored cars . . . The 1988 tour of the engine plant natural gas (methane?) was used; at the  2003 tours engines were pressure tested.  It may have been at one or both of the engine plant tours that we were told of gasoline used in the past . . . As a judge I never deducted for an unpainted fuel pump . . . 

This is not my final response. This is my second request for answers and clarifications to my same questions . . . numbers 2, 3 and 4 that I posted above.

(2)  The topic of this Thread is about details on Fred’s 1953 Buick V-8 engine. Are you saying that the painted-green fuel pump might be a 1955-only item and doesn’t pertain to the 1953 or 1954 Buick V-8 engine fuel pumps?

(Fred is asking if painting his 1953 fuel pump green, like yours, would be correct . . . NOT whether the fuel pump got over-sprayed with green paint or if the fuel pump was installed when the engine was tested. Pictures of Buick documents posted above address 1954 and 1956 Buick V8 engines.)

(3)  After your discussion with Dave, what was and remains today as to your understanding of what years Buick used gasoline and what years Buick used natural gas (not methane) to test their engines? 

(You stated ". . . gasoline was used in the past . . . later engines were run on natural gas . . . in 1988 the engine plant used natural gas . . . and in 2003, engines were being pressure-tested . . ."  Which is it as it pertains to the 1953, 1954, 1955 and/or 1956 Buick V8 engines?)

(4)  What made Dave change his mind (contrary to Buick documents . . . one of them pictured in another post above) to agree with you to say that Buick fuel pumps were painted green by the Engine Assembly Group after they were tested?

(What did the observation “due to evidence of paint on the vacuum connections at the fuel pump on unrestored cars”  prove to Dave to change his mind . . . that the fuel pump was installed when the engine was painted, that the fuel pump got completely painted green or that the fuel pump got bits of over-spray at the vacuum connections? The year of unrestored Buicks that were observed to come to this conclusion would also be helpful to know.

Once I receive the answers that I’m looking for, I will respond and compare your answers with what I came away with as an understanding after Dave and I talked at a BCA Nationals.  

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

We got a little sidetracked on the fuel pump issue, and while this could change, my present plan is to leave the fuel pump unpainted with fuel and vacuum lines painted engine green.  Maybe a little overspray on the fuel pump and bottom of the distributor, but only if it is absolutely necessary (and correct).  Looking at many 1953 Skylarks, including high end restorations, most have the fuel pump unpainted, some have it painted.  I am unable to see the oil filter in any pictures, and am unsure of the correct color.

My original question concerned the color of the oil filter, which at present is painted engine color and I was going to order what I hope to be a correct orange decal and apply it to the filter.  However I am back to my original question is, "what color is the AC Oil Filter"   Based on earlier comments, is it OK to leave this oil filter engine green and apply the orange decal?   Or should I paint it blue as pictured earlier with an orange decal?  The engine is hanging on our car lift and now is the time to make the correct decision.  Also in checking Bob's Buick's 2019-2020 Catalog, there are 2 different decals available for a 1953 Buick engine: 

1950-53  Oil Filter Decal P127 Orange  Part OF-35  $3.75,  1953-58  Oil Filter Decal P122 Orange OF-34  $4.50.  I am not sure if Bob's will be able to recommend which one.  Does anyone know?   In the meantime, I will order one of each.

But the big question:  Is the Oil Filter to be Green to match the engine, or Blue as pictured earlier?    Below is a picture of our engine just painted.  Oil filter clearly shown - now green.  Which is correct - green or blue?  Second picture shows the water pump, which is also green.  Note that we carefully masked the grooves in the pulleys (good idea Lamar), which we would have overlooked.  I doubt if this would have been a judging issue, but slipping belts are not what we want.

Thanks,  Fred

P.S.  Was oil filter originally painted, or was a decal used?   If originally painted, we have the ability to correctly paint the orange on the  (blue ? or green?) oil filter, especially if the decal is not correct.

Engine Just Painted1.jpg

Engine Water Pump1.jpg

Edited by FRED TIP
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

But the big question:  Is the Oil Filter to be Green to match the engine, or Blue as pictured earlier?    

Based on the untouched filter canister on the 54 pictured, I would paint the filter the same color as the engine.    I understand this is a 53 engine.  However, what year was the NOS blue canister manufactured?  Was it painted blue from the very first day it came from the canister plant or change colors down the road?  Was this a replacement part found at the dealers and this particular part was painted blue?  The blue canisters never seen the assembly line because those are painted green or whatever the engine color maybe?   

For me, with the sloppy masking of items like the distributor, carb(as on my 1960...7 years after your 1953 and still spraying paint all over the place ) and fuel pumps I don't see a pristine blue filter canister in the cards.  I see a person masking, spraying and getting them out the door a quickly as possible.  The canister included.      

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Not sure if these pictures will help with your decision. Appears to be an original used filter canister.   However, painted over and that coat of paint coming off.  Take a close look. It does appear to be a faded blue under the green paint.   You be the judge. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264-322-364-Buick-Nailhead-Oil-Filter-Canister-Mount-Housing-53-54-55-56-57-58-/233114662675

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)