Beware scam - 58 buick convertible craigslist

coupekid

This beautiful 58 buick convertible showing for sale $27k on craigslist ..

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/atq/7042315951.html 

And numerous other sites..is a scam !! Beware !!  

I emailed seller i was interested & he offered this email 

groffrichardworld@gmail.com 

When i replied to the above offered email address i requested a pic of current date on piece of paper & to be affixed to the car ... seller failed to respond ..

** beware folks **

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)

Well thats a Pretty good purchase price at auction for a convertible with over $100k invested in the restoration..

c'mon if you list a car for sale & theres a buyer with hand up to purchase.. why procrastinate ?

If seller is in 2 minds to sell ..simple ,, dont advertise it until you a sure you want to sell ... a request for a pic of a simple piece of paper showing current date stuck on the car for sale  is not too much to ask for ..to ensure its a secured bonafide sale.. also the craigslist listing shows only a link you can only reply to .. also the supposed work email address offered comes up with nothing on google 

..hello !! Alarm bells are ringing to the tune of  ScamoScoliosis  !!

14 hours ago, coupekid said:

This beautiful 58 buick convertible showing for sale $27k on craigslist ..

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/atq/7042315951.html 

And numerous other sites..is a scam !! Beware !! 

Someone, please do the world of car collectors a favor--

and the world of criminals a disappointment--by

contacting Craig's List and flagging this as a scam.

Thwarting dishonesty is a big service to our fellow car fans out there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Someone, please do the world of car collectors a favor--and the world of criminals a disappointment--by contacting Craig's List and flagging this as a scam.

Thwarting dishonesty is a big service to our fellow car fans out there.

John, Thank you for volunteering to take on this task.  It's good to know that Someone is willing to step up to the plate and let Craigslist know that scammers who try to defraud members of the car collector community will not be tolerated.  Your efforts to drag the scammers out into the light of day to expose them for the criminals they are is very much appreciated!

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All the scammer wanted was your email reply and the digital source of your email. They got it.

ALL people just need to ignore what they think is a scam. Let the scammer sit alone and neglected. I know some people respond to the scammer telling them how smart they were at catching their attempt, not a good idea. But the nature of people is not to just walk away. That's what the scammer relies on.

One can use all the legal resources available to fight a crook, but legal resources are not as extensive as a crook's. People have been getting swindled for thousands of years. It takes two in a phishing instance.

Just curious, were you a serious buyer with the 27K on hand when you replied? I bet the scammer could tell me.

When I was a kid my grandfather told me "Don't flirt with a rattle snake". He also taught me how to slither a bit, as well. Just so's I knew where he was coming from.

Bernie

• Like 1

It's all about Buyer beware and doing your do diligence to research the car and if your serious about buying it, going to see it in person.

I have found the pictures of two of my cars, a 1948 New Yorker and a 1929 Studebaker President 7 passenger Tourer on several car sites claiming to be selling classic cars or on sites the owners supposedly are listing their cars for sale. There is no way to shut them down or get your cars off there or to warn potential buyers that it's your car and not for sale. Again, buyer beware, buying off the Internet and believing things at face value is like tip toeing through a mine field.

The bait is always a price that's too borderline good to be true. They are counting on your greed and wanting to grab that deal before anyone else gets it. They're hoping that in your rush to secure such a bargain you won't do much thinking. They're only fishing for a $500 or $1000 deposit from a person too excited to think straight. It's a very common scam, particularly on eBay. They are probably very successful at it.

Trust your gut when it tells you it's too good to be true. You're only a sucker if you choose to be; they can't force you to give them money.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

John, Thank you for volunteering to take on this task....   let Craigslist know that scammers... 

Actually, you didn't see me volunteering because

I don't know how.  I never search Craig's List, am

quite unfamiliar with its workings, and only look at

vehicles that are re-posted here.

Cheers everyone !! .. i was very interested to buy it for sure !! and its not easy to view a vehicle in person when you live on the other side of the world.. over the past 25 years i have imported 7-9 vehicles ..each one was as described & everything i was expecting due to obtaining many photos of all aspects of the vehicle...and asking hundreds of questions and overall doing your investigations & homework !!  If its a great deal & if seller was iffy for whatever reason ..i would hire an appraiser who would overlook the vehicle and send over 100 photos.. 

Ive personally also done over 1000 ebay transactions with people in USA & maybe just 2 out of the 1000 was not so good .... you nice people are honest and sincere over there !! 

Love your strong integrity and honesty !!!! 

Soon as i do a transaction with someone from either my own country (Australia) or Canada 1 in 3 are out to try &  burn me !!!

...from my experience over many years unfortunately that is the honest truth !!! 

So i havent spent much money in these countries .. the only thing i dont buy from the USA are my groceries..

Edited by coupekid (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, coupekid said:

I've personally also done over 1000 ebay transactions with people in USA & maybe just 2 out of the 1000 was not so good .... you nice people are honest and sincere over there !! 

Love your strong integrity and honesty !!!! 

Soon as i do a transaction with someone from either my own country (Australia) or Canada 1 in 3 are out to try &  burn me !!!

Thank you for the kind words.  Yes, there are plenty

of good, upright people in America.   I hope you had a

good Christmas and look forward to a good new year!

I think Canadians and Australians (and others) should

be just as upright.  After all, we are all brothers and sisters

whose countries were born of the same parent--England.

• Like 1

Thankyou John ,   a happy new year to you and aaca members ..I do look forward to a new year & here attached is my Forward Look plymouth 1958 i recently imported from the Netherlands, along with 57 buick convertible from CA.. if you look at both cars Pictured you can see why in 1957 chrysler was called the forward look..came out streamlined with sharp edges..  

20191203_181218.jpg

• Like 3