1932 (31) PA got here, and the sorting out BEGINS

Brooklyn Beer

Well the old girl arrived and now I start getting into things.  

First I need a throttle cable. It has the pull knob but not much else as far as I can tell. This would be very nice when starting the car and letting things warm up.  I can just pull the knob out of the dash and poke people in the eye with it.  I knew the car had not much love given to it the last years so before any road time it will get an oil change and the trans oil changed. How can I tell not much given to it?  A new worm clamp fixed the old clamp on the oil pressure line that was leaking what looks like for quite sometime before the car was shelved. It was beyond easily accessible. There is an inch of dry dust on only one part of the wire wheels.  I am pretty sure it has old gas in the tank but it starts pretty easy with a slight miss at idle. Fresh gas and some Berrymans along with some marvel mystery oil.  Will get some miles on it and see if it starts to clean things up some. Plugs look ancient but they are correct C87's by what I read.  Should they gap out at .28 or .25 ?  I have read both. All lights work but no dash lights. I will get under the dash this weekend and look. Any help on bulb numbers?  The switch is there on the bottom lower left of the dash.  Dome light won't come on.  Will get into that bulb as well. All the grease looks dry but someone changed out the old grease fittings to modern type some years ago. I think I will start out with the ones I can see tonight and then put her on the lift the weekend and go over the bottom end when doing the oil changes.  There also might be a new wiring harness in the future depending what I find under the dash. I have new cloth tape to make some repairs as needed till then.  Brakes felt good. E brake holds.  Shifts good.  No chatter on engagement. But again will need more miles on it. Anything else i should look into first thing? 

And the radiator cap I am sure is wrong as it doesn't get tight.  It is just a plain old cap with no mascot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Well the old girl arrived and now I start getting into things.  

First I need a throttle cable. It has the pull knob but not much else as far as I can tell. This would be very nice when starting the car and letting things warm up.  I can just pull the knob out of the dash and poke people in the eye with it.  I knew the car had not much love given to it the last years so before any road time it will get an oil change and the trans oil changed. How can I tell not much given to it?  A new worm clamp fixed the old clamp on the oil pressure line that was leaking what looks like for quite sometime before the car was shelved. It was beyond easily accessible. There is an inch of dry dust on only one part of the wire wheels.  I am pretty sure it has old gas in the tank but it starts pretty easy with a slight miss at idle. Fresh gas and some Berrymans along with some marvel mystery oil.  Will get some miles on it and see if it starts to clean things up some. Plugs look ancient but they are correct C87's by what I read.  Should they gap out at .28 or .25 ?  I have read both. All lights work but no dash lights. I will get under the dash this weekend and look. Any help on bulb numbers?  The switch is there on the bottom lower left of the dash.  Dome light won't come on.  Will get into that bulb as well. All the grease looks dry but someone changed out the old grease fittings to modern type some years ago. I think I will start out with the ones I can see tonight and then put her on the lift the weekend and go over the bottom end when doing the oil changes.  There also might be a new wiring harness in the future depending what I find under the dash. I have new cloth tape to make some repairs as needed till then.  Brakes felt good. E brake holds.  Shifts good.  No chatter on engagement. But again will need more miles on it. Anything else i should look into first thing? 

And the radiator cap I am sure is wrong as it doesn't get tight.  It is just a plain old cap with no mascot.

Got any photos of the radiator cap? The underside of it should have these parts and look like this....

Picture 6898.jpg

No, nothing like that.  Just a chrome cap with a cork gasket.   I just finished the preliminary investigation and I did find a broken throttle cable where it attaches to the knob and it it is still attached to the carb. But I am pretty sure I have the wrong carb as Ply33 has mentioned on another thread.  I did not dig deep at the attaching point at engine side of carb but all I know is that you cannot move the main throttle foot linkage at all with the hand throttle because nothing moves at the hand throttle linkage attachment.  What is the correct model carb for a 31-32 PA?  and who might have one? This is what i have and I know nothing about it except it is running real rich. Plugs were fouled bad when I changed them. Gapped at .025.  Is that brass thumb screw at the right top the mixture screw?  

Second.  Found my "other" exhaust leak. Where the exhaust pipe connects to the manifold is just rattling around inside the connection. I am guess I have no more flange there. Possible repair idea's without changing out otherwise perfectly fine exhaust system?   Muffler wrap and clamp it down tight for now? Do they make a repair section I can buy over the counter for just the flange section? What size is it ?

Next.  Coming through the firewall is a small copper tube I would say is 1/4. It was painted black and runs to a rubber hose under the dash that I have not tracked down yet. The copper tube in the engine compartment though turns down and just has an open end. It is attached to nothing. What did this run too ?1932 Plymouth 4 DR

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

That carburetor and air cleaner looks correct to me.

I am just not able to get any action from the hand throttle cable attaching area at all. Nothing seems to move on the attachment side (engine side) The foot throttle works fine.  Can you tell me about the brass thumb wheel at the top right of the carb if that is indeed the mixture screw?

55 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

I'm not sure of the vacuum advance being on that engine . Tubing to dash may have been for wiper and diverted to vacuum advance . Throttle cable went to far side arm of carb, to up idle . Foot pedal can still over ride above it's setting .

Vac advance is routed right off the manifold directly to carb.  This copper line just comes through the firewall, turns down and stops.

air cleaner unit is correct ---- the carb. looks like a Chevy style carter brass bowl and not the Plymouth style.  Both look similar but the accelerator pumps are different. the vacuum unit is also incorrect  looks like some one modified a chevy unit to work but not correct for car.  

yes I would say the tubing under dash is for the wiper --should go up through pillar by windshield

2 minutes ago, 32plywood said:

the wiper line to manifold and the advance line to port on carb.

well you can see what I have here.  how will that change the advance on the distributor with it going to the carb?  This carb is running very rich right now and I would like to lean things out a little.

Both Chevy and Mopars used Carter . But mopars have straight flange bolt pattern , attachment . Chevy is at angle to carb . Also being ported and closer to carb . Would make it more responsive to carb , I believe . Your carb is probably a DRT-08 209s with far side loose throttle control . That back side plug maybe a bear to get out .

Your pic show advance line going to manifold not carb B. Beer .

Edited by ArticiferTom
ps (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The clamping ring on the radiator was the part I was trying to get made through the Parts Reproduction program that fell apart.

It was used on many Chrysler product cars from 28-34 but they are always in poor shape.  Anyone know who would make a small stamping like this that would benefit many owners of these cars?

7 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Both Chevy and Mopars used Carter . But mopars have straight flange bolt pattern , attachment . Chevy is at angle to carb . Also being ported and closer to carb . Would make it more responsive to carb , I believe . Your carb is probably a DRT-08 209s with far side loose throttle control . That back side plug maybe a bear to get out .

Your pic show advance line going to manifold not carb B. Beer .

So does that thumb screw facing to front of motor control idle mixture?  When I changed the old plugs out they were pretty loaded up and fouled.  The far side loose throttle control still has the hand throttle cable attached to it but I cannot get it any movement out of it like you would by pulling the knob out.  The knob end of the cable is toast and broke off so I need a new cable. The knob itself might have the end broke off as well but I have nothing to compare it too.

Yes ,Good pic . Shows cable jacket clamped and cable moves leveler . Lever is attached to throttle shaft where accelerator pump ( no shown ) would also attach .\ 

Yes above is vacuum plug .

On your stuck cable did you try turning knob before pulling . May have change to friction grip cable .

Edited by ArticiferTom
vacuum , cable (see edit history)