Suggestion for a riser to elevate a car in the trailer

g-g-g0

I am looking for a suggestion to raise a car in my trailer off the floor by 4” so that the car door will clear the escape door frame above the fender. I can fabricate something out of 2 by lumber but wonder if there is a plastic grid or ???? available? Anyone had a similar issue? Thoughts? Suggestions? Looking for a light weight solution.

Race Ramps are for temporary use made of foam encapsulated in plastic composite.

They are not intended or designed to rest a vehicle on for extended periods.

i had a set for a few years - I gave them to a friend.

You need to buy a trailer built to satisfy your particular needs.

You cannot cheaply modify an existing trailer.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When my trailer was built, the factory raised the floor of my trailer a few inches so the bottom edge of the driver's door would clear the inside wheel well and the bottom of the escape door. An engineering change like that is what the original poster needs done to a new trailer. Stacking wood up to get the 4 inches he needs creates a host of problems which could become safety issues. 

If there are no other fitment issues the original poster should consider adding the appropriate size winch to his existing trailer and then winch the car in and out of the trailer. That way there is no need to open the driver door and it does not need to clear the wheel well and no alterations to the trailer are needed that compromise safety. I actually added a winch to my trailer and use it for all of my cars that I can winch in & out. The bonus of using the winch is that it adds additional anchoring  and augments the 4 wheel baskets I use to anchor the car down to E-Track.

I agree with Jim that you cannot cheaply and SAFELY modify an exiting trailer.

• Like 1

If you line up a vehicle straight - you can park on an upgrade to load and unload using an electric winch to load and unload.

No need to drive a vehicle into or out of the trailer - no escape door needed.

I load and unload all vehicles in this manner.

Jim

On 11/13/2019 at 8:47 AM, Trulyvintage said:

If you line up a vehicle straight - you can park on an upgrade to load and unload using an electric winch to load and unload.

No need to drive a vehicle into or out of the trailer - no escape door needed.

I load and unload all vehicles in this manner.

Jim

I agree........also, I will often put a bottle or floor jack under the hitch and jack the front end of the trailer up high enough so even on flat ground the car will roll out and in with ease......and better control than on flat ground. My first trailer had an escape door thirty years ago, I have 25 years of trailering without them, and as long as you are fit and trim, no door is necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

and as long as you are fit and trim, no door is necessary.

Thats the problem! I was not designed to meet this criteria! Agreed that a winch is the most sensible solution. Any thoughts on best brand of winch?

Thanks,

Gary

Harbor Freight Badlands with wireless remote control mounted on their winch plate which - in turn - you mount on a piece of dimensional lumber the same size as the plate - this keeps the roller fairlead up off the floor.

I use a 12K because the motor speed is just right to suit my needs.

I mounted a 12VDC deep cycle battery next to the winch - it is trickle charged of the 7 way plug on my tow vehicle that is on its own  30 amp fused circuit.

Jim

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

Harbor Freight Badlands with wireless remote control mounted on their winch plate which - in turn - you mount on a piece of dimensional lumber the same size as the plate - this keeps the roller fairlead up off the floor.

I use a 12K because the motor speed is just right to suit my needs.

I mounted a 12VDC deep cycle battery next to the winch - it is trickle charged of the 7 way plug on my tow vehicle that is on its own  30 amp fused circuit.

Jim, when you get a chance, can you please post a photo?  Thoughts on anchoring?

• Like 1

I have a Badlands 12k also...........price is fantastic.......and after ten years you can throw it away, buy a new one, and still be at less than half the price of others. 12K is over kill....which means the unit never works hard.

• Like 1

Harbor Freight winch mounting plate:

https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-channel-winch-mount-62446.html

Harbor Freight 12K winch:

https://www.harborfreight.com/zxr-12000-lb-trucksuv-winch-63770.html

Lay winch plate across center front of trailer - make sure mounting holes line up on winch base that you are installing to the mounting holes on the plate you are using before you drill them thru the floor - make sure the location of the holes you are drilling go thru the floor and not into a structural member of the trailer - make sure there is enough room between the hole you drill and the structural member near it ( if any ) to get a fender washer on a bolt and be able to get a socket in the bolt.

Carefully drill your holes - check for proper alignment - then drill out holes with the next size bit 1/16” inch larger to allow for easy installation of bolts.

Then drill out the dimensional lumber that will go between the winch plate and the floor.

Place the fully assembled winch onto the winch plate - thread the winch cable through the roller fairlead - place this on your dimensional lumber.

Install grade 5 or 8 hex head bolts of suitable length with lock & fender washers from underneath.

This is best done with someone in the trailer to maneuver the winch as needed to line up the holes.

Jim

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I have a Badlands 12k also...........price is fantastic.......and after ten years you can throw it away, buy a new one, and still be at less than half the price of others. 12K is over kill....which means the unit never works hard.

The 9K winch has a motor speed that is too fast for my taste.

I transport vehicles up to 8000 pounds:

E5AD6D90-37BA-4FDB-804A-B35840C47B10.thumb.jpeg.c7df93e6f7c3eff2c040ff17181ce507.jpeg

902B371F-E46B-4F0F-9443-726BF5BE47CA.thumb.jpeg.d035649e081a67ace3ad319c9aba4310.jpeg

3673A1D0-EF10-4F1F-B723-0D14344FC866.thumb.jpeg.ffb9f6ebc847e3ca5456c80ace884da2.jpeg

D8A0E563-BDDB-4D85-8F52-6A5B38BF604F.thumb.jpeg.6d052fb195db5a8559261d1fa8102fed.jpeg

Jim

Well, the problem seems to be getting out the drivers door.

I do not know what vehicle, but if there was room.....

Put wood ramp length of floor on drivers side, and a 4 inch angle iron the length of passenger side to keep vehicle from  sliding sideways.

Then of course tie it down.

Evaluate clearance to drivers door opening and to Passenger side of car to trailer wall, jounce clearance too.

Shim drivers side as needed.

May be the cheapest way

Maybe a bit more labor-intensive, and raising the center of gravity, but here's another possibility:

Trailer axles typically attach ABOVE the springs.

Rotate the axle(s) 180 degrees, and then unbolt and rotate the backing plates with brake assembly back to their original configuration.

Attach the axle(s) BELOW the springs.

This will yield typically a minimum of four (4") inches additional height between the wheels and the upper surface of the wheel box inside the trailer.

The internal wheelbox can then be modified - cut down - to result in additional clearance to open a driver door, and could even allow for a driver-side access door to be cut in and braced on the trailer.

This is really not as much work as it may seem.

14 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Maybe a bit more labor-intensive, and raising the center of gravity, but here's another possibility:

Trailer axles typically attach ABOVE the springs.

Rotate the axle(s) 180 degrees, and then unbolt and rotate the backing plates with brake assembly back to their original configuration.

Attach the axle(s) BELOW the springs.

This will yield typically a minimum of four (4") inches additional height between the wheels and the upper surface of the wheel box inside the trailer.

The internal wheelbox can then be modified - cut down - to result in additional clearance to open a driver door, and could even allow for a driver-side access door to be cut in and braced on the trailer.

This is really not as much work as it may seem.

It is dangerous and unsafe to flip a drop axle - they are designed and engineered to distribute weight for specific application.

Jim

• Like 2

I too winch on and off. I use a Super Winch “ winch to go” which is a 4,500 lb winch in a tool box mounted to a plate that you can mount to your floor or use the straps and u bolts included to “ tie off” to something. The wireless remote and winch does cost more than Harbor Freight but is much more precise. 

If you are still are still looking for “ risers” search for “ ramp overs”. Race guys use them so look in that world.

9 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

It is dangerous and unsafe to flip a drop axle - they are designed and engineered to distribute weight for specific application.

Jim

Agreed !

and thank you, Jim, for that additional note.

Of course, that was not my suggestion.

I would not suggest to flip a "DROP" axle !

Flipping a straight axle, as I once did on an older open trailer gained 4-6" of ground clearance for the ramps of the open-pit style trailer,

as well as the ability to relocate fenders if needed

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 2:12 PM, Trulyvintage said:

Jim

Can you elaborate a bit more on this set up. Are you able to charge or just maintain? Appreciate any input.

9 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on this set up. Are you able to charge or just maintain? Appreciate any input.

If you have a properly wired 7 way plug- there is a fused charge line.

If the plug is correctly wired - you can extend that to inside your trailer to charge a 12VDC battery.

Jim

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 2:12 PM, Trulyvintage said:

I also have a 12VDC deep cycle battery in my trailer which is connected to the 7 way plug on my tow vehicle with a 30 amp factory fused circuit.

I use the battery for my winch, the electric tongue jack, interior lights, ramp lights, wireless camera, etc. When the trailer is not in use I connect a Battery Tender to the deep cycle battery. On average the battery lasts about 7 years with this kind of use. My trailer will be 15 years old this coming spring and I will be buying another battery next spring as the current one is failing the load test I gave it recently. I have been thinking about getting a newer technology battery to replace this wet cell battery. It appears the cost of the newer tech batteries is 3+ times the cost of my current battery. Somehow I cannot see the newer tech battery lasting 2-3 times longer (ie 14-21 years). 

For the" Baby" , I used a 4" grinder and a mig and made my own side door 76" square.

Installed a 9K winch with a battery charger off the 7 pin plug, and split a 2x4 for tire guides.

I just line up the front wheels to the 2 red marks and drive in hands free, or winch her in with the remote hanging by the door.

Mike in Colorado

100_1683_00.jpg

100_1734.jpg

100_1785_00.jpg

• Like 1

Bad idea to cut a large hole in the side of your trailer.

That is what you did by putting a side door in.

Trailer manufacturers use framed flush doors for a reason.

Height and width are limited so the trailer maintains structural integrity - there is a reason for a header support - just like a door

in a structure.

You destroyed the the sidewall integrity.

That side gets the brunt of road vibration and hammering.

Now it will start to flex - the crack the welds.

Jim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Bad idea to cut a large hole in the side of your trailer.

That is what you did by putting a side door in.

Trailer manufacturers use framed flush doors for a reason.

Height and width are limited so the trailer maintains structural integrity - there is a reason for a header support - just like a door

in a structure.

You destroyed the curb side sidewall integrity.

That side gets the brunt of road vibration and hammering.

Now it will start to flex - the crack the welds.

Jim

Probably NOT the case here,

When I saw Mike's trailer I was impressed with the way he had braced and modified the trailer to allow driver-side access.

From what I've seen, Mike doesn't do anything half-way,

and his trailer is just another good example of conscientious  planning, skillful execution, and effective results.

• Thanks 1

No trailer manufacturer would cut a floor to ceiling door without a header.

You can’t order an enclosed trailer with a 76 inch door - they don’t make them that large because the opening comprises the structural integrity of the design.

Jim

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Trulyvintage said:

No trailer manufacturer would cut a floor to ceiling door without a header.

You can’t order an enclosed trailer with a 76 inch door - they don’t make them that large because the opening comprises the structural integrity of the design.

Jim

You are right Jim.

The top of the trailer perimeter consists of thin walled (.040") 1' x 2" rectangular mild steel tubing to which the 1" x 1.5" uprights are welded.

I added another 1 x 2 header tube.

Door is framed with 1 x 1 angle  welded to a DOUBLED 1 x 1.5 tube front and rear

Door is flush with the side of the trailer with 3 hinges and bar lock from E- Trailer.

This is an Alliance trailer from Fitzgerald Georgia and it utilizes a full perimeter square tube frame. so the "box" is just sitting on the frame.

Mike in Colorado

100_1650.jpg

100_1651.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

You are right Jim.

The top of the trailer perimeter consists of thin walled (.040") 1' x 2" rectangular mild steel tubing to which the 1" x 1.5" uprights are welded.

I added another 1 x 2 header tube.

Door is framed with 1 x 1 angle  welded to a DOUBLED 1 x 1.5 tube front and rear

Door is flush with the side of the trailer with 3 hinges and bar lock from E- Trailer.

This is an Alliance trailer from Fitzgerald Georgia and it utilizes a full perimeter square tube frame. so the "box" is just sitting on the frame.

Mike in Colorado

100_1650.jpg

100_1651.jpg

As I mentioned in my earlier quote,

When I had the opportunity to Personally see Mike's trailer, and the modifications he himself made to the trailer,

I was impressed with the way he had braced and modified the trailer to allow driver-side access.

From what I've seen, Mike doesn't do anything half-way,

and his trailer is just another good example of conscientious  planning, skillful execution, and effective results.

• Like 1

Arising Industries probably built your trailer - they use a full perimeter steel tube frame.

I am on my (5th) trailer built by Arising Industries - all of which were built to my specs including “ full welds “.

The last two have the ceiling - wall - floor joists on 12” centers.

All of their trailers have had the sidewall framing break at the wheel well area.

What I am pointing out to you about cutting into the sidewalk and making a hole is based on first hand experience.

The roads in this country beat the hell out of trailers.

Jim

• Haha 1