Airflo and Zephyr, northern Calif

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Thanks for sharing the ads, Mike.

I'm a little puzzled:  Doesn't that 1934 DeSoto Airflow

have a trunk opening?  I can't see any visible seam

in the sheet metal.

They didn't in the early years. The rear seat back flips up from the bottom to access the luggage area; Airflow sedans didn’t gain exterior luggage access until 1936.

• Like 1

Airflow, love them or hate them!  I love them.  Most '34 sedans did not have a built-in trunk.  The Airflow sedan gained a built-in trunk in '36. The 34 + 35 Airflow did have an optional trunk rack.  All Airflow coupes had a trunk-like spare time compartment.  I think the number one reason for poor Airflow sales was the cost.  In fact, the '35 DeSoto Airflow cost fifty% more that the very similar DeSoto Airstream, and 3X the cost of Fords or Chevys.  This was in the depths of the depression and money was tight.

• Like 3

Steveinky has the right thought, think of the time/era economically that the Airflow was introduced. It was the depth of the great financial depression. Many car guys do not take that into consideration when they wonder why cars of that era either didn't sell, didn't have an extra spare tire ( two side mounts) etc etc. You need to take into consideration and have perhaps a different perspective of what those lean days were actually like. To get any money, people resorted to selling pencils on street corners, a full course meal was perhaps $1.00 and you were lucky if you were making $1,400 per year .

The Zephyr is an estate sale, must sell

1936 Lincoln Zephyr V12, 4 dr sedan, ran when parked approx 30 years ago, in covered area. Body in good condition, interior needs restoration, nice lines. Engine turns. We have the bumpers and the trim for the head lights. We did not try to start the car. This is an estate vehicle that needs to be sold.

There was a Chrysler Airflow for sale at Hershey last year for more $$$ that had a much less sound body. In fact it even looked as if one of the rear door hinges was rust-compromised. I understand that this is a DeSoto, so it likely has a 6 rather than an 8, so it's much less desireable?

I'm in love with that Desoto, but just can't take it on. It doesn't look that bad. More pictures wouldn't hurt. Looks like the roof is open. Skirts, spare tire cover, and hubcaps are missing (or are they inside?). How bad is the interior? How rusty the floors?

The Hershey Chrysler Airflow was a non-runner that had been off the road since time immemorial. As mentioned, it had significant rust issues in the rear body, though it appeared complete in its essentials. It was sitting in one of the peripheral stalls with price placards that said it was a "barnfind" that could be yours for $6700 or thereabouts.When I walked over to see it the next day, it was gone, so I think it did sell, probably for a much lesser amount. I bring it up only because the Rancho Codova DeSoto seems like a vastly more attractive project.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bloo said:

I'm in love with that Desoto, but just can't take it on. It doesn't look that bad. More pictures wouldn't hurt. Looks like the roof is open. Skirts, spare tire cover, and hubcaps are missing (or are they inside?). How bad is the interior? How rusty the floors?

The floors in a '34 Airflow are wood.  The top is a fabric insert over a wood frame as typical for that era.  The fender skirts and spare tire cover are not hard to find.  I can put you in contact with a fellow who has tons of parts.