Will this happen to the car market?

nick8086

24 minutes ago, caddyshack said:

What about an original 1904 Cadillac that needs a total restoration. It is 95% complete, not running, needs wood replacement, new wheels and tires, etc., etc.. The values have been like a roller coaster, but to the right person, it might be desired project. Some great comments from the previous posts, and I agree with the changing times and lack of interest by some age groups. Being in the early 70's age group I feel very fortunate to have grown up during an era of great change in the automotive industry. Those days may never return, but we can preserve what we had. No offense, but keep them original.

A substantial portion of the value on that car would be predicated on whether it can be authenticated as a real 1904 to make it London-to-Brighton eligible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

A substantial portion of the value on that car would be predicated on whether it can be authenticated as a real 1904 to make it London-to-Brighton eligible.

Thanks for the response Matt,

I have the Cadillac Motor Car Company build sheet showing the license number (Selden number) and motor number with a shipping date 6-13-04 to Theo Jonas Dealership in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I looked into the identification process in England, but it was very costly and the auto is not restored and running, so I searched through the U.S. company build sheet verification. 

Lately as I get crustier when driving in moderate to heavy traffic I'm much preferring to drive my 09 Challenger R/T 6 speed standard than my old 69 Dart 340.

The lack of lane disipline, cell phone use, and general bad driving around me makes modern 4 wheel disc brakes and quick steering a must. When I did get to drive my 60 Cadillac (now sold) it was only a back road cruiser instead of a summer semi- daily driver. Maybe the old age paranoid feelings are getting the best of me.

When you quit driving them it's time to sell them. A lot of my old car friends have now given up the hobby and I'm just turning 65. Another 10 years I can see it fading away to a very small group.

Hey I resemble that remark. O'town traffic is so bad it reminds me of the Beltway except the lanes change and disappear randomly. So my daily drivers have either 5 or 6 speed automagics. Do still have two (one 4 and one 5) manuals but just been driving those to shows. Must admit changing a set of tires by hand usually results in pain the next day but seem to be past major bloodletting (Jags usually required a sacrifice to Lucas).

So age is not as important as attitude and in Florida they say 70 is the new 50.

• Like 1

We're dealing with this currently from my in laws aka hoarders / collectors / never-threw-anything-away-not-even-expired-credit-cards. 

3000 sf home very full but not quite the type that only has pathways through it; more like some rooms are jammed and just closed off. 

But half dozen outbuildings full of tools, equipment, building materials (owned rental properties), collected cars for about 30 years and a lot of everything else. 

We've started taking 4'x8' trailers of clothing, bedding household items to the local Salvation  Army.  Fortunately we live in an area where we have free dumping @ the landfill.  Borrowed a friend's 'junking' trailer; essentially a car hauler with sides.  We've filled it 25 TIMES since last fall including 3 trips to the county hazardous waste disposal days to get rid of refrigerators, tires, paint, etc.  Working now to pull out building materials and other items for a Habitat 4 Humanity pick up next week. 

We've literally lost A YEAR of our lives cleaning up this sheet and getting the property ready to sell.  What time I did have last winter was spent scanning & shredding lots & lots of our paperwork (warranties, receipts, owner manuals, tax records).  Once this nightmare is over we'll dig into sorting out and reducing some of our projects to a more manageable level. 

14 hours ago, CarFreak said:

What time I did have last winter was spent scanning & shredding lots & lots of our paperwork (warranties, receipts, owner manuals, tax records). 

That shredded paper makes good insulation. Did you save it in some plastic bags to use later?

On 10/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, trimacar said:

This topic has really been beaten to death on this forum.  Is the market changing?  Yes.  Everything changes.  Do we have to discuss it twice a week?  Oh well...

I guess that's the problem with wanting to talk all day about antiques.   The antiques are staying the same, but at least the market is always changing so there is always something to talk about.  :)

• Like 1

People have been saying that the sky is falling since at least Roman times. The subject changes but the fretting not really all that much. 

The hobby will be just fine, it will outlive all of us. 

Modern hybrids are within 10 years of being AACA eligible...I think. Never paid too much attention to them. The hobby may look different in the future, but does it look the same now to anybody from when they got into it? No. It doesn't matter how long that was, unless it was in the last year or two, it's different. And you're still here, still in the hobby. 

Only difference is that the cars I like/want/drive now are different from those I had then. At the same time I have come full circle. The only difference was that in the late '50s there was no American car with a DOHC-6, 4+OD tranny, and four wheel disk brakes. Now it is common.

Must admit I do not understand 8, 9, and 10 gear transmissions with the very broad torque bands you get with VVT. Could someone explain ?

• 9 months later...