1965 Front Shocks

crowvet

The rubber bushings at the bottom of my front shocks were bad, so I replaced them with a pair of Napa OE Spectrum gas shocks. The first thing I noticed was the shaft diameter was way smaller. They also seem to collapse with very little pressure. The car now bounces, floats and bottoms out. I HATE it. What are some nice heavy duty front shocks that have worked out well for you all?  has anyone tried these?http://www.shocks2springs.com/PL1092--Front-Spring-assist-shocks-Fits-1965-76-Cadillac-and-Buick-Riviera-1-pair-These-2-OD-Shocks-add-400-500-lbs-of-boost-per-pair-to-improve-ride-height-stability-and-control-and-compensate-for-weak-springs-or-heavier-engines_p_422.html

Edited by crowvet
added (see edit history)

I put Monroe brand shocks on the front of my '70. They work decent and do not bottom out even with my car lowered an inch. I'm thinking of getting Bilsteins and seeing if it rides nicer but when I had them on the rear of my car it rode like a brick so I'm hesitant. Good luck, looking forward to reading what you went with and your results.

Monroe makes front and rear shocks especially designed for the 63 / 65 Riviera.  They give you the OEM ride.  Bilsteins and KYB will give you more of a performance ride.because of the stiffer dampening.  Part #5759 for the front; #5760 for the rear.  Each less than $17 at Rock Auto.  I've had these on two cars and they're just fine.  But I don't live in the LA area and try to carve the canyons like some guys do.

Ed

Some years ago I was looking for front shocks for my '62 Electra, must have been in the early 1990's, and they were already hard to find. We ended up searching the NAPA books and it turned out that 1970's Mopar front shocks met all the specs but not listed as interchangeable because the lower attaching ears on the Mopar were for a 5/16 bolt and the Buick was 3/8, something like that from memory. A rat tail file took care of that. Just a thought, check those details. You might be missing an easy fix.

• Like 1

The KYB front shocks do  not have the correct spacing of the bolt holes on the ears to bolt up to the lower control arms. The Monroes are made correctly.

I don't know about the Bilsteins. I tried to get KYB to make correct front shocks for our cars but had no success....they were not interested in doing it.

3 hours ago, psychostang said:

Ed, if you compare the listing on NAPA.com, the shocks he purchased are OESpectrum.  These are the same as the Monroe shocks on RockAuto.com.  Identical part number.

Interesting.  Who'da thunk it.

I was talking to the mechanic who works on my cars occasionally and he told me that a lot of guys who've been driving newer cars with the larger wheels and shorter, stiffer side walls tires and stiffer shocks just think that their old cars are "too bouncy."  He says that they've forgotten what the OE ride was like and they're not happy with their old cars any more. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Agreed........the Monroes are kind of bouncy on dippy pavement, but they feel exactly like the original Delco shocks felt like

on my Dad's 65 Riviera back when  I first drove it in 1967. For nostalgia reasons I like the Monroes on my car although I know it would handle better with something different.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)